• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ted Turner joins board of Pickens Foundation

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
From Horse Talk:

American media mogul and philanthropist Ted Turner has joined the advisory board for the Saving America's Mustangs foundation.

The foundation, set up by wild horse advocate Madeleine Pickens, hopes to provide sanctuary to captive wild horses in reserves in the western rangelands.

Pickens described Turner as a true champion of animals and the environment.

"We are so honoured to have his support with our wild horse eco-preserve project," she said.

Pickens has bought a ranch in Nevada which, with grazing rights, provides 500,000 acres that could be used for grazing horses under her proposal for a horse reserve.

Her plan received a boost in recent months with news the Bureau of Land Management, responsible for the care of US wild horses, was formally looking for expressions of interest from private organisations interested in assuming care for some of the wild horses.

Pickens says she will be in Washington, DC, on April 14 to testify before the US House of Representatives Committee on Appropriations, Subcommittee on Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies on the Bureau of Land Managements' Wild Horse and Burro Programme.

So what? It's his business and his money...who gives a ****? Is he gonna be next to you and bother you?

Or can you not stand to let someone do as they please without passing judgement on it???

jingo2 said:
So what? It's his business and his money...who gives a s***? Is he gonna be next to you and bother you?

Or can you not stand to let someone do as they please without passing judgement on it???

So what's your problem, been cooking bacon naked?

jingo2 said:
So what? It's his business and his money...who gives a s***? Is he gonna be next to you and bother you?

I may be wrong, but I think FH posted that as a bit of a news story, I don't think she was griping about the situation. Shiza!

Thanks, Wyoming Heeler. I thought it was interesting and thought
I'd share it here. I read a lot of things that are posted
that I'd probably miss if not for the forum.

Comments are always welcome. You can sure tell a lot about
a person by their reaction, can't you? :p

How many horses would a half million acres in Nevada run? What part of Nevada is her ranch?

per said:
How many horses would a half million acres in Nevada run? What part of Nevada is her ranch?
\

At 40 acres a head that is 12,500 horses. I doubt 40 would be enough from some of the pictures I have seen but have never been there, Unless all spayed and gelded I'm afraid they would multiply out of control and feed pretty fast. :shock:

Are they going to let nature takes it's course or will they be charged if some fail to maintain condition in the winter?

I was told about this a year ago by a friend of my that this horse rescue is on a part of the wine glass ranch out in elko area ( don't quote me on that ) he used to work there and was told about it. Some that should kind of give you an idea of the country.

That range in Nevada will run about 1 pair to 60 acres much more for a horse. I guess that is better than the 30,000 head in palomino valley we feed hay to at the tax payers expense.

Big Muddy rancher said:
per said:
\

At 40 acres a head that is 12,500 horses. I doubt 40 would be enough from some of the pictures I have seen but have never been there, Unless all spayed and gelded I'm afraid they would multiply out of control and feed pretty fast. :shock:

Are they going to let nature takes it's course or will they be charged if some fail to maintain condition in the winter?

I will step out on a limb here, and say that you will likely be given the opportunity to donate to the cause or maybe house a pony when they realize this.

Big Muddy rancher said:
per said:
\

My guess is it would take 150 acres or more per horse. That would put the number down around 3000. Not very many considering how big the problem is.

Been a lurker for a while but saw this and thought I might add a little. I use to work with a lot of ranchers up in this country near Drummonds so heard lots of stories. This was news video though a couple months back. Towards the end, Mrs. Pickens is on there and basically is admitting she will care for them but wants government money, and more money than the government is currently spending.

http://www.news9.com/category/116601/video-page?clipId=5503810&topVideoCatNo=174887&autoStart=true

jingo2 said:

Speaking of yourself??? kolo=jingo=lulu=allie

jingo2 said:

I'll agree with you Jingo2.....as soon as Paul Harvey tells "The Rest of the Story".

One, it will be run by a foundation...probably tax exempt (which won't pay taxes on assets).

What's the need to go to Washington......except for money...

Surely going to need some "employees" to do something uselss and to make sure money keeps comming in...but that is a job I guess the bean counters will be more than happy to count. (although a consumption job rather than a productive one)

I'll agree, Ms. Pickens and Teddie are free to do as they please with their money....it's theirs....But I'll bet there is more to the story than many of us are willing to pay for.

With horse and pony sales fallen off here in the UK, over 1000 TB horses have been sold to France for slaughter,as there is little interest even from the Arab states for race horses for training.Wild ponies from the mountains and New forest etc, usually sold as yearlings for training as childrens ponies, are being slaughtered through a mobile abattoir, the meat is almost all being sold to zoos and safari parks for lion meat. The ecosystems here cannot support excess of any species, so immediate solutions are needed to be made by those with vested interests, none of the bunny hugger "welfare" groups have any influence.

Latest posts