• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Tell me I haven't wasted two years of my life!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jamiehuggins

Reaction score
I just have to complain a bit and hopefully get some advice. I have been in school for the past two years, next fall I will graduate with two associates degrees. One in Equine Animal Science and one in Agri-business, my GPA has never been below a 3.5. I have been involved with agriculture all my life. I have sent resumes out for about the past 3 weeks and I haven't heard anything back from anyone! Not even a thank you we received your resume and are not hiring at this time. I realize that the economy is crappy and that hiring has been put on a hold but I am starting to feel like I am wasting money and time trying to gain an education. Nobody wants to hire somebody without years of experience and you cant get experience without somebody hiring you. Ugh!

Patience, Jamie.

Have you tried drug companies?
Have you looked in Livestock papers?

I'm sorry that you haven't had much luck, but believe me,
there is someone out there that needs you.

Send montana33 a PM. He graduated last December and is now
managing a ranch in Missouri. Perhaps he can help you out.
I think he had several job offers to choose from.

Good luck!!

How big of an area are you looking? The more you want to stay near home the harder it is. I could get a pretty good job in a lot of different areas if I wanted to. I could be doing soil testing in South Florida right now if I wanted to move there, but I decided to move back home to Maine. There are hardly any ag jobs here, at least in my part of the state. I took a job with a BioTech company because they had goats, unfortunately I've spent the last couple years in the lab barely working with the goats. That may be changing next month though.

My first job out of college was for a crop consulting company in New York, I wanted to do CNMP plans (which they do), but they never gave me the opportunity. There are usually positions in these types of companies, but plan on moving around, they use more employees during the growing season and lay people off in the off season.

It's hard getting into drug companies and feed sales without the BS degree. Weather it's feed, drugs, fence, minerals or what, it's all sales. They want salesmen, one of my buddies in college was hired by Cargill because his brother was a great salesmen, he had the potential, even though he was an ag business major and struggled with animal nutrition when he finally took it his senior year.

I got my AAS from SUNY Cobleskill, then transfered to Cornell for my BS in Animal Science. One of my friends got his BT (Bachelor of Technology) in Equine by staying at Cobleskill for 4 years. He now works for a farm down in Kentucky with race horses. My bosses daughter was a Equine major at UVM, she worked a few winters in the Ocala, FL area I believe, she couldn't find a job in the North East and finally moved out to Vancouver about a year ago.

The BT programs require an internship, the program I was in at Cornell basically required one. I actually got a couple credits for it too. There are more opportunities and connections for internships with the better schools. If I could go back, I would love to have done a semester or year in New Zealand and learn from the graziers there.

There has been a lot of discussion about the Vet shortage in some areas, one strategy discussed is having a large animal vet tech qualification to assist.

Consider the National Guard to help pay for the debt you may have or if you want to go another two years. I did my school first, then joined and over the 6 years I was drilling with the Guard I have $10000 of my student loans paid by the Guard, I think they've upped it to something like $50000. If you serve while you're in school then you get money to pay for it right there. However, you may have a year of school interrupted with a deployment, but that may be slowing down.

Jamie, you will find what you want; like Faster Horses said, be patient. Yup, I know how easy (NOT) that is when you are young, smart and ambitious!

My daughter is in the same spot as you right now. End of last year she graduated from nurse's training with a straight 4.0 GPA, was valedictorian and received the top academic proficiency award.

But even with the short supply of nurses in our health care system right now, she cannot get a job nursing!

So she is picking up whatever comes her way right now and pounding all of the health care employment pages that she can find. She has become quite adept at sending out resumes too!

Another young fellow I know asked the same question as you - did I waste two years in (computer science) college - because he could not find work after he graduated. So he eventually found an unglamorous job in a small computer shop.

Now, only 4 years later, he owns a store which is a branch of the original shop in which he started. A small beginning had a big reward.

So you are in a good position. Just watch for that sleeper job. It might surprise you in the end.

Best wishes in finding a job that will make you a fulfilled, successful person!

Not a waste at all. It has been a long time since I had any personal experience looking for work. In fact all the work I procured came from personal relationships and not resume sending. So on that note, keep in contact with with as many of your classmates as you can. Also, work the relationships you and your parents had before. Some one out there knows some one. From an employers point of view.... I have seen endless resumes in the past, they just pile up. You need to find a way to make yours stay on the top of the pile. Most managers or executives who might be looking for staff only want to see the resumes with what they want on it so they will be vetted by a secretary. You have to get past this person to the short list. Remember it has been 25 years since I had to deal with this and things change. In my experience those that came through the door either with or as a follow up on the resume floated to the top because they were thorough and showed initiative. A phone call touching base can also be used. Don't give up and don't be afraid to take the less than perfect job. One of those contacts will cherry pick you out of there if you are good at what you do and you keep in contact.

I am pretty open to having to move to a new location for a job, in fact that my idea was to get a job in a place that I've been. I think I was pretty creative when I made my resume, it has a picture and had an advertising theme to it. I tried to sell me but still make my information easy to read and understandable. As far a going on to a four year school, I really have no desire to do that right now. I am older than most of my classmates and have already been to the "real world". I may go back and get more schooling but right now I just want to make a little money.

Good job Jamie... Congrates on your degree.... Now you need to deside what is next... I for one would suggest you get at least a BA in at lest one of your degrees.... Why??? Because if I was hiring I would look at that and wonder why you didn't.. Second... It gives you more options....

Now if schooling is out of the question.... Then hand your resume to everyone you know so they can hand them out to prespective bosses.. I sent my resume to every dental office I could... And worked anothe job till a dental job opened up... Call where you have sent your resume.. Don't expect them to call you.... Or better yet stop at the place and talk to who ever you can... They tell me now that prospective bosses only look at a resume for about 2 minutes so that cover page better be able to tell them all about you... And embellish alittle on your resume.. I know you woud be a great assett..... Good luck and let us know how it's going.. :D :D

burnt said:
Jamie, you will find what you want; like Faster Horses said, be patient. Yup, I know how easy (NOT) that is when you are young, smart and ambitious!

My daughter is in the same spot as you right now. End of last year she graduated from nurse's training with a straight 4.0 GPA, was valedictorian and received the top academic proficiency award.

But even with the short supply of nurses in our health care system right now, she cannot get a job nursing!

So she is picking up whatever comes her way right now and pounding all of the health care employment pages that she can find. She has become quite adept at sending out resumes too!

Another young fellow I know asked the same question as you - did I waste two years in (computer science) college - because he could not find work after he graduated. So he eventually found an unglamorous job in a small computer shop.

Now, only 4 years later, he owns a store which is a branch of the original shop in which he started. A small beginning had a big reward.

So you are in a good position. Just watch for that sleeper job. It might surprise you in the end.

"sleeper job." How do I get that job? :wink: :D :D :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
burnt said:

I could be available for the night shift on that job. :roll:

per said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
burnt said:

I could be available for the night shift on that job. :roll:

Only the bright and qualified would understand what I meant! :wink:

It's got nothing to do with pillows and sheets . . . .

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I caint give you any advice about schoolin,only got a 6 grade education,sisters and brother all have degrees guess Im the black sheep of da family...................good luck and keep at it, always a job for a good hand :wink:

HAY MAKER said:
I caint give you any advice about schoolin,only got a 6 grade education,sisters and brother all have degrees guess Im the black sheep of da family...................good luck and keep at it, always a job for a good hand :wink:

The wife made it to the 7th, I made it through the 10th.

No point in lettin' schoolin' get in the way of a good education. :wink:

I would have gone longer if they would have taught me what I wanted to learn.

jamiehuggins said:
I just have to complain a bit and hopefully get some advice. I have been in school for the past two years, next fall I will graduate with two associates degrees. One in Equine Animal Science and one in Agri-business, my GPA has never been below a 3.5. I have been involved with agriculture all my life. I have sent resumes out for about the past 3 weeks and I haven't heard anything back from anyone! Not even a thank you we received your resume and are not hiring at this time. I realize that the economy is crappy and that hiring has been put on a hold but I am starting to feel like I am wasting money and time trying to gain an education. Nobody wants to hire somebody without years of experience and you cant get experience without somebody hiring you. Ugh!

"per" pretty well touched on some import points! Who have you been sending your resume to? Who, as in a persons name, not company. Most of the help wanted advertisements you see on Monster or CB are written by HR departments who are mostly clueless about what resume responses to forward to the hiring manager. Nor do they know how to pick out a "diamond in the rough". Pick out a few companies you would like to work for (preferably ag related companies) and be prepared to explain how you could help them out. Investigate as to who the management is in the company. This can be done by googling the company name and picking up on some of the personeel that work there. Call them and ask who the managers are, then call the managers. And, like per mentioned, talk to your buddies and look for contacts. Talk to the fathers or mothers of your buddies about where they work. Often there are professional associations related to an industry that have membership lists which a good and quick way of learning whose who in the industry. Measure your job hunting efforts every day - calls made etc. to see how much your putting into it. Close to 80% of the jobs available are NOT filled through advertisements but my word-of-mouth and direct contact. Go get 'em!

gcreekrch said:
HAY MAKER said:

so was that a yes or a no i have or have not wasted two years of my life?

I actually really haven't looked in the help wanted ads I picked out a few cattle related companies that I would like to work for and sent them resumes. Then about a week and a half later I sent them follow up emails because the places I sent my resumes too are not within driving distance. I have not had any luck and have to admit I am running short on optimism.

I hate to admit it because I have to of them (both Bachelor of Science degrees), but a degree in the agricultural industry is kinda like slitting your throat, unless of course you intend to ranch and then it is really only viable if you have a family ranch to go back to and if that is the case you could of learned most of what you know by listening and watching your fellow ranchers or just by attending some clinics or taking a few courses you wanted to take rather then go through those that are meaningless to your life/career (i.e. interpersonal communications, yes a class I actually took). Having a family ranch to go back to really only impacts a very very few of us out there, and as in my case being born 9 years the junior of my brother took me out of the running. A new young person starting out fresh from college don't have a chance in hell of buying and owning land and making a good living or hell..scratch good...they don't have a chance of making a living at all. No way...no how! Anyway although I may get hung from the nearest cherry tree (which for some of you is a VERY long ways away so remember that) I'll say again...a degree in the agricultural industry, be it an Associates or a Bachelors is really the most worthless degree you can get and is also the most limiting degree out there. The number of doors or opportunities you have to finding a job that actually take the degree you have is far and few between and getting fewer every day (sadly), but facts are facts. Like I said, I have two Bachelors degrees both in the agricultural industry and my job opportunities are so limited it is not even funny!! I'd recommend getting a general business degree or ANYTHING other than a degree in agricultural. Sorry to be so negative but if I could go back 10 years I wouldn't be where I am today I'd tell you that much! You have to look out for yourself and what it is you truly love to do and you need to ask yourself is this what I want or can see myself doing for the rest of my working days? Also ask yourself if you can be happy doing it. If the answer is yes then yippie yahoo for you...if it is no...then you have some serious thinking to do!!! I'm still waiting to figure out what I want to do when I grow up and for the right job to come along so I can tell the one I have to kiss my behind right down where it is brown. The end!

P.S. don't say your education and last two years was wasted...education no matter where, how or what is never a waste! :wink:

This was all advice I could have used 2 years ago :D and its a little late to give up now. And this is something I love with all my heart. If I could show the world how important agriculture is and let them see it through my eyes then there would be a lot more support of it. Oh well I guess. :?

jamiehuggins said:
This was all advice I could have used 2 years ago :D and its a little late to give up now. And this is something I love with all my heart. If I could show the world how important agriculture is and let them see it through my eyes then there would be a lot more support of it. Oh well I guess. :?

Good Luck :)

jamiehuggins said:
gcreekrch said:
HAY MAKER said:

so was that a yes or a no i have or have not wasted two years of my life?

I actually really haven't looked in the help wanted ads I picked out a few cattle related companies that I would like to work for and sent them resumes. Then about a week and a half later I sent them follow up emails because the places I sent my resumes too are not within driving distance. I have not had any luck and have to admit I am running short on optimism.

Any education is not a waste of time.

Another thing you never want to lose is your optimism, without it a person had just as well give up and collect welfare.

I'm not sure of the US but feedlots in Canada are begging for help. Like a couple of us said, sometimes you have to start at the bottom and SHOW your employer what you can do. Work your way up from there.

Contrary to what most of us thought/think when we're young, life ain't exactly one big candy apple. :???:

Keep at it, you'll make out all right. :wink:

Jamie, there are only a few things in life that no one can take away from you. Your education in one of them. As many others have said be patient, something will come up. There are some jobs posted in the Fence Post magazine, you should take a look. Believe me when I say that experience is not everything. I have been around ranching my whole life and have no formal agricultural education. It was awful hard for me to get where I am at without a degree. Without having the opportunity to work for a progressive outfit in the past that was high on educational classes and siminars, I would have never been able to reach this point. Keep looking and don't be afraid to start at the bottom and work your way up, you may just get further ahead that way. Good luck.

Latest posts