• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Texas bull

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I haven't used the bull. Was talking to my nitrogen supplier who is also a sales rep for ABS, Genex, Semex, ect and he commented on how many of his customers had purchased semen on the bull here in Alberta. So should be some reports next year.

He is in my new beef semen catalog, looks like a nice bull and caught my eye when I was flipping through the other breeds. He has a very good genestar profile as well. I really like his grand sire ,he is super deep and thick ,huge capacity.

I personally am a fan of using young sires on proven cows, so if I raised Blk angus I would definitely give him a go..

Good luck and post pics of calves if you choose to use him..

Salt Creek Bob 7003.

I haven't used him. A neighbor is putting him into a handful of cows shortly. I just thought he looked kinda good but it was his grandsire that really caught my eye as well.

he looks like a pretty nice bull. i've seen Limited Edition 594 and he is a brute. the same could be said for Bob's mgs. one thing about those Hoff cattle is that they were big, good, but big.

Wow! almost a straight Hoff pedigree. They make great feeder cattle the maternal side has to be desired based on the ones that have been used here in the past.

WB said:
Wow! almost a straight Hoff pedigree. They make great feeder cattle the maternal side has to be desired based on the ones that have been used here in the past.

i went to Hoff's dispersal sale, and was amazed at the size of their cows. it looked like a 1600-1700 pound cow was the norm. :shock: i went with hopes of buying a few bull calves, but after seeing their cows, i decided to just watch the sale.

Justin said:
WB said:

i went to Hoff's dispersal sale, and was amazed at the size of their cows. it looked like a 1600-1700 pound cow was the norm. :shock: i went with hopes of buying a few bull calves, but after seeing their cows, i decided to just watch the sale.

I use to think those Hoff cows qualified as big myself until a post I read on the advantage forum.

UKAngus posted this:Our show cow calved on Monday a nice 117lbs bull calf he definatly won't be a steer. I also weighed the cow just after she calved i'm afraid she is no 1200lb cow she weighed 2458lbs at five year old and had her first calf at 2 years old. If I only had more like her. :shock: :shock:

They do like them bigger over there. I just spent 5 weeks in Germany, France and Spain. Charolais, Simmental, Limousin and Saler - all horned and well muscled. There were also area specific breeds -unknown in North America I think. Not one red or black Angus :shock: Most of the dairies used beef breeds to thicken up their calves for the veal market.

One place I visited sold into the slaughter market but intended to start selling breeding bulls .... the worker told me they "helped" every cow calf. Very labour intensive :shock: From what I seen, in so far, as the herd itself, I'd say they didn't need to be helped - they just did!!!

The Salers were quiet but all cattle are kept under a roof in their 'winter' and on both sides of that season if the area was a wet one.

There were no stock trailers or liners or auction markets. The hay racks were fitted with cattle racks and pulled to slaughter with the tractor. The one 'cattle van' I seen maybe held 3 or 4 mature cows. A 3/4 ton chassis cabover "van" with a cattle "box".

Most sold direct to local stores or through farm gate or farmer's markets. Of those I visited they were specific to their place in the industry. I only seen one that took them right through from birth to slaughter. I couldn't really get a handle on their 'inspection' system but the way they are regulated over there for eveything Ag, I expect there is a very thorough protocol followed. Quite a few also had pigs, sheep or goats - lots of home-made cheese which makes our store-bought taste like .... well ...umm crap! The wine had nothing to do with it :D

I have a blog set up - it's not done however. I have almost 3 weeks left to post but with picturing the bulls and doing our sale catalogue I just haven't had time to finish. It is picture heavy and there are links to the actual pictures. I took over 4000 pictures so selecting ones to post is difficult.

http://europe2010-connie.blogspot.com/
first days can be found in the archive section on right.

I have to add - this whole trip was possible because of foreign Ag "trainees" that have spent time with us since 2005. I stayed with them and their families while in Europe - only one night in a hotel! There is a reason for posting this :wink: At the Ag school I was able to do a presentation of our ranch in Canada and the students reciprocated with the same for me; being hosted in all parts of the world. There were 6 students still looking for host families in North America - if you are interested please pm or email me. It is for a 1 month duration - no wages can be paid and you get to make a wonderful new friend! It has been nothing but a positive experience for our family! For example - at last years bull sale, a fellow breeder presented us with a large, 'time-sensitive ' box within minutes of the sale starting. Inside that box was Andrea, from Germany. She was our second trainee and now a very special friend. Ben, from France, was our last trainee and he arrives on June 15 .... and leaves Oct 20. His whole family is coming in early August for a couple of weeks.

.... sorry for the long post but it is a program that I believe our Ag education should incorporate. The trainees have to work in a foreign country to "graduate".

After side-tracking ... I forgot to say that we are using Salt Creek Bob this year. We haven't seen any live progeny ...

Wow, that sounds like the trip of a lifetime! Glad you could do it as it puts everything into a different perspective.

I will greatly enjoy reading your blog. You must have been close to the area where my roots are - Alsace/Lorraine. One place I want to visit someday.

Thanks for posting about your trip!

Latest posts