• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

TEXAS SMOKE HOUSE

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
IMG_0197.jpg
IM always looking for sausage recipes,you got one?....................good luck

Well, you know about BBQ sauce and sauerkraut, not together of course, but either, or. Making homeade BBQ sauce? No measuring here, but ketchup, little bit of mustard, vinegar, onions, splash of lemon juice, either some maple syrup or brown sugar, and some worcesteschire sauce. Good to replace orange juice for the lemon juice once in awhile. Just mix all the stuff together. Taste it. Easy to tell what you have to much or little of.
Sausage, potatoes and cheese my mom makes, but exactly how it goes? not sure. You could play with that though.

Ain't got one, but want one!

I hope to get something built so as to be able to hang beef quarters and smoke big chunks.

I love jerky smoked with ash wood. Gives it almost a peppery taste. Wonderful! :lol:

Dried sausage is simple to make,but lots of work especially if you are doing it a lone. 50% venision,25% pork & 25% beef,is my favorite,grind it coarse and mix 1lb. of butcher salt ,1cup of coarse pepper and bout a half bottle of curing salt,6 table spoons of garlic salt,be your own judge as to how much whiskey you add,but it really does kill bacteria and is mighty flavorful.Mix all this and let set over nite so the seasonings marry in the cooler,regrind the next day with your small blade,stuff,take em to the smoke house, I smoke about 2 days then depending on the weather let em dry till they are firm,take em to the freezer,and enjoy with a cold beer or what ever is your pleasure,this makes about 40# double everything for those big muleys :wink: ...............good luck

Haymaker has that shed on stilts so he can catch diamond backs shadin up. If you're samplin his sausage, that chewy stuff is old rattler.

Brad S said:
Haymaker has that shed on stilts so he can catch diamond backs shadin up. If you're samplin his sausage, that chewy stuff is old rattler.

You wont find any rattlers in my smoke house,I steer clear of em,although I have heard of people eating em,I can honestly say I have never met some one that had the inclination. :wink: ...............good luck

Many years ago..(wouldnt call it an inclination).....more like ...I had a moment of insanity at the rattlesnake round up in Sweetwater Texas. they cook it shortly after they skin em there...you can watch the whole process. As I walked around looking, seeing people eatin the stuff. I thought ok......they keep sayin it tastes like chicken......OMG IT DOES NOT!!!!!!! It's greasyyyyyyy nastyyyy stuff. I'd almost bet that if I's out somewhere in the middle of no where n starvin....n a rattler come along....I'd soon keep lookin for somethin better to come along..that's how bad it is. Basically take KFC minus the meat n just leave the chicken skin and crunchies.....n soak it in grease...that's what it tastes like.

((((((ewww givin myself the willies just thinkin bout it))))))

You forgot the bones. Did I say it was full of bones? It is not all that bad though, if you can find some meat on it.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Many years ago..(wouldnt call it an inclination).....more like ...I had a moment of insanity at the rattlesnake round up in Sweetwater Texas. they cook it shortly after they skin em there...you can watch the whole process. As I walked around looking, seeing people eatin the stuff. I thought ok......they keep sayin it tastes like chicken......OMG IT DOES NOT!!!!!!! It's greasyyyyyyy nastyyyy stuff. I'd almost bet that if I's out somewhere in the middle of no where n starvin....n a rattler come along....I'd soon keep lookin for somethin better to come along..that's how bad it is. Basically take KFC minus the meat n just leave the chicken skin and crunchies.....n soak it in grease...that's what it tastes like.

((((((ewww givin myself the willies just thinkin bout it))))))

You're getting the willies?!? You're giving me the heebie-jeebies!!! My skin is starting to crawl!

I personally didn't mind rattle snake. The only snake i ate was when I was in the 7th grade at our one room country school. At recess one day we (the three students) found a rattle snake in our school yard. Since the school sits in the middle of a pasture surrounded by rolling hills and draws, its no surprise that snakes wandered through. But anyway I killed the snake by pinning it down with a stick and stepping on it just at the right moment and then pulled its head off. The younger of us three students was in the 2nd grade and of course was squealing the whole time. Well all that squealing brought our teacher outside to see what was going on. She nearly fainted when she seen what I had done. But she quickly got over it and I can't remember how it came about, but I ended up skinning and gutting the snake and cleaning it up and our teacher brought a crock pot over and we cooked it up right there. Ours was I guess you'd say boiled? I dunno however a crock pot does it. More like a roast maybe. But it was really not that bad....not greasy....and yes do I dare say, it tasted somewhat of chicken. I think it would of tasted better fried and battered with flour or something, but we chose the crock pot method. I think if you'd cut chunks of meat off these big ole Texas Diamond Backs and put it in a crock pot with potatoes and carrots and celery and whatever else, it would be a hell of a tasty little soup. Our snakes up there (South Dakota), the prairie rattle snakes don't get near as big as the snakes here in Texas, the Western Diamond Backs so of course there wasn't near as much meat on it, since it was prolly only 3 feet long and not very big around. But none the less, if I was in the middle of nowhere and starvin...I think I'd welcome a snake to come along :wink: The snake might not like it tho :!: :!:

I've been to the rattle snake round-up twice. I went just this last year, but while i was there i never tried the snake. I think I'd rather cook it myself then trust someone elses abilities!!!

Rattlesnake
Growing-up we had boardwalks around the house – rattlers would love to sun there! Mother's screams would bring me forth with a GUN. - I would catch King Snakes and turn them loose around the House - - Not much help though - - A few Kings and 100's of Rattlers - - King Snakes kill Rattlers

Yuma Arizona
We would hunt Sidewinder with a Bow & Arrow - - First time out I didn't get any until I saw a fellow hunter heating arrow tips with a lighter - -

Theory (?)
Rattler will strike at the Incoming Heat - - either it works or I got to be a better shot.

Hum – I the 60's I Tooled a belt with "butted side by side rattles" - - I wonder where it is? If I find it I'll need to add "a lot" of rattles _ (size 23" to 36") – I'll have to look for them also.

Taste Test – (mine was Not greasy) (1 to 10) = = 5

A young V¬ (7 to 13) had many snake and Other Things in Old Glass Fish Tanks in the Living Room

Hay Maker i'm just curious.....how do you get your smoke into that house? That might be a stupid question, but I asked it anyway.

My old boss and good friend had a smoker he built, but it was in such a way to where he had his fire or whatever about 5-10 feet from the actual smoke house and he had a trench which he dug under ground and the smoke came up into his house that way. His worked great....i helped him several times. It was a neat little home made contraption.

I see yours is on stilts so can't be that way. Is there a reason it's on stilts?

I'm not a big smoker :cowboy: so I don't know much about it.

Haymaker,
First glance I thought you'd got yourself an outhouse for warm climates.

TXTibbs said:
Hay Maker i'm just curious.....how do you get your smoke into that house? That might be a stupid question, but I asked it anyway.

My old boss and good friend had a smoker he built, but it was in such a way to where he had his fire or whatever about 5-10 feet from the actual smoke house and he had a trench which he dug under ground and the smoke came up into his house that way. His worked great....i helped him several times. It was a neat little home made contraption.

I see yours is on stilts so can't be that way. Is there a reason it's on stilts?

I'm not a big smoker :cowboy: so I don't know much about it.

I like to build these sheds up off the ground to keep these crawling critters out,makes it a little harder for them to gain access.And for the smoke I keep an old iron 30 gallon pot in there ,just build a fire outside for coals and put them in the pot then I add oak chips as needed,the trick is no flame and lots of smoke...................good luck

Latest posts