• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

The day in review, September 27, 2005

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mudhen said:
All we ever use is steel 1-1/2 pipe and I have had some close call and some that were so close it hurt. I would like some more info Jinglebob on two about pipe at the feet and the one about the chain. The Vet. has a nice set up at his place. It is set up on hyd. cylinders that adjust with the size on the cattle calf or bull. There is about 7 or so U shape pipe that hangs down that will let the cow pass, then it will ride along its back then fall behind her but if she backs up it will not let her pass. I have considered making something like this but can not find time to do it. We need something else that is safer then pipe but this not a risk free business but at the time I am not trying to kill myself.

I don't know if I can explain it any better.

The pipes are put thru' holes in the side of the chute so that they are about 1 foot off from the ground. If you have several different heights of holes, just sightly forward of the last one and the next one, you could adjust height for different sizes of cattle. It would look like a huge long ladder in the bottom of the chute and the cattle step over the rungs of the ladder. The rungs would be about the same distance apart as the length of a cow or yearling. Hope that makes it clearer than mud!

The chain at the back end of the chute is hung from both sides of the chute and loops down and set in such a way as to make it adjustable. Lower for yearlings and higher for cows. Cattle walk under it and then it falls behind them and persuades them to move forward, when they back up.Once in awhile one will stick their heads over the top and stop the flow, but if given time, most will figure it out.

Both of these work best when you don't hurry the cattle down the chute. Oh and they both would start about the length of a cow, inside the chute, so that a critter can walk all the way in before encountering one or the other and then the cow behind works as a backstop.

I did install a conventional backstop this year, but it doesn't seem to work any better and maybe not as good as the pipe at the feet or the chain hanging down.

Hope this helps. If not, pm me and I will give you my phone number and we can talk.

Thanx Jinglebob I think I get the picture now but this is in the chute I am talking about in the alley and this should work there as well (right)? I am slow some times well I guess most of the time.

Mudhen said:
Thanx Jinglebob I think I get the picture now but this is in the chute I am talking about in the alley and this should work there as well (right)? I am slow some times well I guess most of the time.

The pipes and chain are in the chute/alley leading up to the end of the squeeze chute. Not in the wider alley leading up to the chute alley. Clearer? :lol:

The chute I'm talking about is only wide enough for one critter at a time. The alley would be wide enough for two, three or more. The cattle walk single file up the chute to enter the squeeze chute. Hope that explains it better. Wish I could draw a picture and post it but I ain't as handy as some of these other people who post such good pictures that they drew. Maybe I can get the daughter in law to take some pictures and we could post them.

WARNING! Daughter in law and son are talking about moving out for work so I may not be able to post pictures much longer as I ain't handy enough to do it by myself, even with the instructions printed and posted on the wall in front of me! :lol:

Speakng of breaking legs with the pipe in the chute, I was helping a feller work cows one time. Big limey cows weighing around 1400 pounds. And older guy was using a 10 or 12 foot plank to stick in behind the cows, so they couldn't back up. Not a real handy tool! :lol:

He stuck it in behind one and at that moment she moved backwards and sat down on it. He hadn't got it all the way across and stuck in the other side yet. When that big ol' rip sat down on it , the plank went up where the old feller was holding on to the very end and it worked just like a tetertotter. His end flew up and caught him under the jaw and was propelled upward and backward about 10 feet. I mean he flew!

All it seemed to do was quiet him down for the day. He was raised and lived on the gumbo all his life and so you know he had to be tough. He was still riding colts when he was 70 but he's kind'a slowed down on breaking any since he had a stroke. Used to write and recite some good poetry but has kind'a lost his memory and I don't know if he can't read what he writes or what, but he's kind'a quit goin' to any poetry gatherings, tho' I did see him in Medora this spring.

Many of you might have heard of him. His name is Ray Hanzlik.

On the injuries and head gates,this bears repeating "use the chains"that ole gentle cow this has her head down with 2 feet of upward swing can break ribs pretty fast ,add horns and it gets worse..............good luck & and as usual great job on the pic's soapweed.

Hey Jinglebob, I was visiting with Ray a few years ago when he was breaking a longhorn bull to ride. Said he had him coming along good and was riding him out in the pasture. Told him to let me know when breeding season started and he would be going out to check cattle cause I wanted to watch lol! Heard later that bull come unbroke, throwed him off and had him stove up so he decided to give up on that idea. Didn't know he'd had a stroke. Ray is a good old boy and always pretty entertaining!

nr said:
After reading thru ALL these postings about back gates, front gates, head catches, pipes and injuries- we still don't know why the Big City NY photographer was at Soapweed's! :roll:

All I know is he picked a beautiful ranch to photograph.

Thanks for the compliment.

Don't you know that "curiousity" can kill a cat?

On that subject, if Dixie kills a cat, is it done "southern style"?

Actually the photographer is Andrew L. Moore, from New York City. He's a nice gentleman, and a world traveler. He has a webpage, and it is www.andrewlmoore.com if you want to check it out.

Sometime in the future, he plans to have a gallery showing of western photography. A book might come along at a later date. Andrew's photographic equipment looks to be the ultimate. It was a privilege just being in the same corral with a high-falutin' camera of this quality.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
ok, I have another question..........Did you show him any of your photo's?

I didn't, but my dad might have. Some of his pictures of us, I think, will have a cell phone tower in them. I always try hard to keep as many highline wires, phone towers, highways, and the like out of my photos to try to make them look as "cowboy" as possible. Have you noticed there aren't any ATV pictures in my collection? :wink: It's hard to take pictures of them, if you don't have any. :)

Soapweed I'm so glad there's someone else that feels that way about high line wires and towers ...etc. nothin agrivates me more than to have a beautiful picture ruined by a telephone pole or high line wire.

BUT.....I have learned if there's no other alternative...say an awsome sunset and in the distance there's an electric line runnin off thru th emiddle of it. I can take it out, with my photoprogram.

Yep, you can break a leg using pipe bars behind cows. I am setting here in front of the computor as proof. A short pipe right next to the chute, I think is fairly safe if you use care. Most Vets would rather the cow be bared than caught in the headgate, with no gate behind.

My accident happened baring cows in the runway or alley working from the outside, was working slow and good, was thinking about what could happen all the time, but a couple came in to fast, then one baked up before I had the pipe in place.

Been away from the computer....

The way a leg gets broke is you are standing in front of the pipe. When you go to slide the pipe behind the cow, the pipe doesn't get accross to the other side of the alley before she backs up. A 1400 pound cow hits it hard while going back and you leg is caught between the pipe and the alley,

PPRM

I still use a pole to stick behind a cow in the ally. I recon when I break a leg I will buy the correct equipment. Till then it's a pole.
Call me hard headed if you want?

Alabama said:
I still use a pole to stick behind a cow in the ally. I recon when I break a leg I will buy the correct equipment. Till then it's a pole.
Call me hard headed if you want?
Me too. One place I use a cant-hook handle. I like it better.
If the pole is the greatest risk I have working cows then it should be a pretty good day.

Hmmmmmmm............

Alley stop, Factory made-$95.00

Homemade like Jingle bobs- $20.00

Broken Femur- $14,000 3 years ago (according to Rod Kucera of Klamath Falls)

Knowing you won't have to deal with a family memeber or freind getting hurt from this- Priceless......That's in my book.

Dang, I feel like the friggen forum nag, and it isn't from trying to sell something (ie, heck, use a jinglebob chain), it is from dealing with folks that have been hurt.

I guess nuff said was three posts ago, but this just strikes a chord with me. Same chord as when I see a kid undo the front cinch on a saddle before the back one. I'm truly not trying to be a nag, Just trying to help avoid the accidents that are avoidable. I really don't want anyone to come back here and say, "I found out the hard way."

PPRM

PPRM said:
Hmmmmmmm............

Alley stop, Factory made-$95.00

Homemade like Jingle bobs- $20.00

Broken Femur- $14,000 3 years ago (according to Rod Kucera of Klamath Falls)

Knowing you won't have to deal with a family memeber or freind getting hurt from this- Priceless......That's in my book.

Dang, I feel like the friggen forum nag, and it isn't from trying to sell something (ie, heck, use a jinglebob chain), it is from dealing with folks that have been hurt.

I guess nuff said was three posts ago, but this just strikes a chord with me. Same chord as when I see a kid undo the front cinch on a saddle before the back one. I'm truly not trying to be a nag, Just trying to help avoid the accidents that are avoidable. I really don't want anyone to come back here and say, "I found out the hard way."

PPRM

You forgot the part about not seeing your family anymore. Ranchwife will know is, but the femur is the worst bone to break; it can cause you to bleed internally because the femoral artery right there and has been know for people to bleed to death. I don't mean to scare anyone but the true is out there and you can't hide for it.

Soap... I heard through the grape-vine you and saddletramp was going to be in a movie... A new twist to Roy Rogers.
Soap and Saddle ride again!!!!! :!: Along with Miss Carol and other assortment of charactors... It's true right???? I know how modest you are, but you can tell us....... :lol: :wink: :D :wink:

katrina said:
Soap... I heard through the grape-vine you and saddletramp was going to be in a movie... A new twist to Roy Rogers.
Soap and Saddle ride again!!!!! :!: Along with Miss Carol and other assortment of charactors... It's true right???? I know how modest you are, but you can tell us....... :lol: :wink: :D :wink:

Would that make saddletramp Gabby Hayes and Mrs. Soap, Dale? :wink: :cowboy: :cboy: :pretty:

Latest posts