• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

The dirty thirties all over again??

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Shortgrass

Reaction score
http://www.koaa.com/videoplayer/?video_id=17929&categories=12,13,1056

The lady in the pink ball cap is a neighbor. We will brand there on Saturday. We should take pictures, because if this ever turns, our kids won't believe how bad it is. Problem is I can't stand to take the pics; I ain't sure I want to remember. I took another trailer load of pairs off Thursday, and will take 70% of my replacements off on Monday or Tuesday. Just pray the Lord will gives us wisdom in our decisions, and timing. Might even throw in a request for some rain :wink: .

I am so very sorry you are going through this Shortgrass. This drought is absolutely horrid, and so widespread. I hope you can make it through with some sort of a core herd. I guess all we can do is keep hoping and praying for moisture. Hang in there.

Wow :shock: That is awful, I too am sorry you are going through it. We're in bad shape here but not like that. Hang in there, we are praying for rain for all of us who need it.

I am at the same decision points as you, Shortgrass. We sold half the cows back in February and I thought maybe that was too many at the time. I'm thinking now that it wasn't enough, by half. :cry:

I wish i had enough ground to have ya send a couple semi loads over this way. :cry: All we can do is send prayers and hope. Know we are thinking of you folks and hope the rain comes soon. That video is simply heartbreaking. :cry:

I had just finished dropping a submersible pump & pipe to the bottom of the hole when the last roller came through & had to run my well guy 30 miles to town . I literally had to drive with one set of wheels off the side of the county road and gage where i was by the slant of the pickup . Just did get the well fished out today . Its getting kinda bad here because on the way to check horse water today i saw two jackrabbits knife fighting over a canteen . :???:

We're to get TEN INCHES more rain....yes MORE..... here in the next 2 days!!!

I surely wish I could send some to you guys as we've about washed away in our so called Southeastern ' drought' this winter......

My Grandfather started ranching in the Big Muddy in 1937, Everybody figure he was crazy because the 30's had chase alot of people out. The 1980's were tough times in this area because of the drought.It won't be easy but perseverance and faith will pull you through.
Grandpa always said the droughts move north so we will get what you've been having. Stick around so you can advise us on how to cope. :)

Big Muddy rancher said:
My Grandfather started ranching in the Big Muddy in 1937, Everybody figure he was crazy because the 30's had chase alot of people out. The 1980's were tough times in this area because of the drought.It won't be easy but perseverance and faith will pull you through.
Grandpa always said the droughts move north so we will get what you've been having. Stick around so you can advise us on how to cope. :)

Three things to do to prepare
1 stockpile feed
2 stockpile feed
3 stockpile feed

Praying for rain for you guys!

Back in '01 we got hit pretty hard too. I know what you mean about not taking pictures. Greatest day was the day I picked up a new bull and was bucking a hard east wind. It rained the next day.

FIL and MIL told me stories of the Dirty 30's and Black Sunday.

Only thing that saved us was a feed grinder and droughted out wheat crops.
FIL told me about them haying thistles for feed.

Just wondering if there is a hay donation program set up?

that video is hard to watch. we're not in that extreme yet but there are some yearlings and pairs in this area that have already gone to the feedlot or sale barn. if things don't change soon, it is certain more will follow. pretty scary.

That's unreal. I have fields going under water right now, wish you had this water and I had some fielde dry enough to plant.

That's absolutely terrible. I really feel for those that are going through those conditions. I sure hope things turn around.

Latest posts