• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

The dirty thirties all over again??

Help Support Ranchers.net:

There are a lot of good ranches that are in a tough situation right now. Any one that has ranched for very long has endured some tough times. I feel that if we had not made advanceement in conservation practices over the last 80 years, we would have been just as bad as the dustbowl for the last few years. There is no doubt that we will be stronger in our faith whether we have cattle or not. And I have it on good authority that there are actually people who lead happy productive lives and do not even own a cow! Rain is in the forecast for the coming week--yea. Maybe we can get some on the prairie.

2002 it began. Since then we have had marginal years at best. Some worse than others, none good. Last year was as bad as 02, only worse because we had no ground moisture going in. One good thing, no old men will be able to tell us "you ain't seen nuthin yet :lol: " What am I sayin', I am the old men............. :roll: :roll:

Shortgrass said:
... One good thing, no old men will be able to tell us "you ain't seen nuthin yet :lol: " What am I sayin', I am the old men............. :roll: :roll:

"Old men"? Why you're just a young pup with lots of experience!

Funny how that works, just last week the neighbor and I were discussing the "old guys" who used to farm around here and decided that, more all the time, we like look like those old guys that we were remembering - stiff joints, bent backs, gimpy legs . . . :roll:

I sure hope and pray that you will get that rain this week, shortgrass.

burnt said:
Shortgrass said:
... One good thing, no old men will be able to tell us "you ain't seen nuthin yet :lol: " What am I sayin', I am the old men............. :roll: :roll:

"Old men"? Why you're just a young pup with lots of experience!

Funny how that works, just last week the neighbor and I were discussing the "old guys" who used to farm around here and decided that, more all the time, we like look like those old guys that we were remembering - stiff joints, bent backs, gimpy legs . . . :roll:

I sure hope and pray that you will get that rain this week, shortgrass.

I relate to the stiff joints, gimpy legs etc. etc.....

Our weather man from Billings says moisture is headed your way, Shortgrass.
Hope it materializes. Wonder how much you need to see a real turn-around?

Oh, I remember those times when it was normal to have rain 3 days in a row in June. Made our summer. That doesn't happen any more.

The best chances we have now for a good rain is Bucking Horse Sale and Memorial weekend. After that, it's just thunderstorms.

Guess we'll just keep wearing out the knees of our jeans and continue
praying.

Neighbor just told me the numbers of his cuts.
He used to have 200 momma cows and replacement heifers.
He is down to thirty mommas and 20 replacements. And still worried

I just talked to a registered dealer down by Big Timber- and he had to sell off a quarter of his herd last year-- buy hay for the winter- and now thinks he may have to sell off another bunch of his nicest pairs... If he does it would be a chance to get some great moderate framed maternal genetics...

We have had snow and rain and have good moisture to get everything a start- but the forecast of a hotter and dryer than normal summer for the northern plains along with the forecast of the drought continuing to move north keeps a guy worried....

Oldtimer said:
I just talked to a registered dealer down by Big Timber- and he had to sell off a quarter of his herd last year-- buy hay for the winter- and now thinks he may have to sell off another bunch of his nicest pairs... If he does it would be a chance to get some great moderate framed maternal genetics...

We have had snow and rain and have good moisture to get everything a start- but the forecast of a hotter and dryer than normal summer for the northern plains along with the forecast of the drought continuing to move north keeps a guy worried....

Another "venture", perhaps?

loomixguy said:
Oldtimer said:

Another "venture", perhaps?

Yep-- but with the local grazing prices going to over $50 an AUM with all the droughted out areas-- it may again be a time to sit and watch... :???:

This fellow has some of the best angus genetics in moderate maternal cattle there is- and is probably one of those undiscovered diamonds in the rough....So if he has to proceed with the sale- I will let all know just to be fair to him...

Shortgrass, this looks really promising for you!

http://weather.unisys.com/gfs/misc.php?inv=0&plot=misc&region=us&t=48h

The Lord has sent us rain. We are up to .9 right now, and it has come over two days. A very timely and good rain. Hardly any puddles. With our numbers as low as they are, we should be able to get off the hay stack in the next 10 days or so! If ya think I'm happy, yer right!! :lol: :lol2: :)

Shortgrass said:
The Lord has sent us rain. We are up to .9 right now, and it has come over two days. A very timely and good rain. Hardly any puddles. With our numbers as low as they are, we should be able to get off the hay stack in the next 10 days or so! If ya think I'm happy, yer right!! :lol: :lol2: :)

Prayers Answered! We had .75" of rain through yesterday and this morning it has been snowing hard & steady.

Shortgrass said:

Prayers are answered my fine friend! :D :D :D Wish their was a emoticon that went WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :D Hope it just keeps a coming. And starts soaking Texas and New Mexico and anywhere else its needed. Sure happy for you Shortgrass. :D

Latest posts