• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

the joys of having a river thru it

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jodywy

Reaction score
Gee every ranch needs 5 miles of floatable river with 6 fence river crossing. Fixed some wires next to the river today the top 3 had been cut. Like cows and calves as I just walked down and waded the river to fix the fence, opened some gates and my cows took their calves out from the neighbors cows and went back home. I did get to chase a few across the river just in front of a boat. Then watched as one had to get out and lift the guide wire cables up that I got across the river to keep my cows on my side of the fence.

If you get the river crossing thing figured out, let me know. I only have 4 fence crossings, but every time I have tubers, or canoers go down the river, I have to rebuild my fences. Doesn't make any difference it its a HOT fence, barbwire, or what. I haven't tried cable yet, that is for this year.

You could live here. You would have to fence them away from the river.

leanin' H said:
I'll take a river, rafters and all! :D Make it deep and full of cool water please. :wink:
if full of cuts and browns, white fish and there suckers for the worm fishermen. a 18 adams on 5x tippit and 5 wt line and rod :D

jodywy said:
leanin' H said:
I'll take a river, rafters and all! :D Make it deep and full of cool water please. :wink:
if full of cuts and browns, white fish and there suckers for the worm fishermen. a 18 adams on 5x tippit and 5 wt line and rod :D

You can keep the fish, i wouldn't know what to do with them. Plus we don't use all your fancy terminology to fish here. 1/4 stick of dynamite works well or so i've heard. Just send a river full of water. :D

leanin' H said:
jodywy said:
leanin' H said:

You can keep the fish, i wouldn't know what to do with them. Plus we don't use all your fancy terminology to fish here. 1/4 stick of dynamite works well or so i've heard. Just send a river full of water. :D
that why we charge a tresspass fee to Utahaians or Utards to go fishing :D

I was baling when Sue got home last night, she ended up walking down to the river and walking out a bunch of floaters on Tubes. They thought they could float between to 2 bridges in a hour or so. It more like 6 hours and in a boat with paddles you can take a hour or so off. Well they had put in around 3 PM. The one lady wanted her to call the search and rescue, Sue said they can drive down in these wet hay meadows. So then she wanted a helicopter, Sue just rolled her eyes and said fast way out is with your feet. Yes they were from south of the border from UTAH!!!!!

i don't know about the river part or rafters really... but do about a creek and crappy farmers to the west, or droughted out farmers, or even crp acres to the west. growing up every late fall after we took cows home out of the summer ground we'd go back up with pitchforks and fork out the weeds that would blow into our fences... let them blow thru the place and the ones that didn't settle in the creek and made it to the east fence go fork those out. never failed if you didn't get it done it was 10 times the work fencing next spring. some years there was so many tumble weeds in the creek, when it started running in the spring those weeds would kinds jam up and move down the creek and take out every fence crossing on about 6 miles of creek with 12 fence crossings... so yah - all kinds of joys!

this was last month fathers day - we floated part of the creek thru one section pasture. we get bored and it is cheap entertainment.

2012fathersday.jpg

2012fathersdayc.jpg

2012fathersdaya.jpg

Looks like everyone was having a good time. As warm as what its been around here, and with a granddaughter that like water, we have spent more time in the river this year, then we have in years. Don't have to worry too much about tubers this year either. The river is low enough, that they would have to walk most of the way.

Great pictures Hereford76. Looks like a great way to spend an afternoon.

You'd have a hard time floating anything other than a feather down a river or creek around here right now. Things are drying up fast.

Latest posts