• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

The ongoing saga: Japan and US beef

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/T347267.htm

Come down to earth and break out the test kits folks.

Some 61 percent of 1,166 respondents in a survey conducted last month by the Nihon Keizai Shimbun group, a leading Japanese daily, said they were against resuming imports of U.S. beef, overwhelming the 18 percent that were for the restart of trade.

Those darn democracies, anyway, with their voting and giving people choices. Now, China, there's a place where you guys might be able to play ball, being that its a government controlled communist country. Good Luck.

I'm sitting here shaking my head. Why in the world is it so flipping hard to understand what needs to be done to move US beef? It absolutely infuriates me how the USDA is handling this. Could they have possibly messed this up any better if they had deliberately tried?

And then there are those who insist the big packers have no pull with the USDA....

Sandhusker said:
I'm sitting here shaking my head. Why in the world is it so flipping hard to understand what needs to be done to move US beef? It absolutely infuriates me how the USDA is handling this. Could they have possibly messed this up any better if they had deliberately tried?

And then there are those who insist the big packers have no pull with the USDA....

What's so funny to me about this situation is the opponents of testing are saying that it creates an illusion of safety. Not! Especially when the Japs probably know more about testing than we do.
The actions of the USDA have actually created a reason for the Japs to mistrust USA beef. They are looking at this and saying, what are they hiding? and why are they so afraid to test the beef that we buy?

You're right, Mike. On top of that, it's torking them off. It's been a while since I was at dear ol Nebraska U, but I can't remember them teaching us that alienating your customers was a good idea.

"Creating an illusion of safety" is simply a smoke screen. If that is the case, the Japanese are doing exactly that by testing 100%. If it doesn't bother them, what is it to us?

Supporting a ban on the grounds that it is foolish to test when you're not going to find anything is also one of the most redicuous arguements I've ever heard. You've really got to be searching for a reason to support the AMI position to come up with that jewel of salesmanship. I can see it if a supplier of product to me was demanding that I pay for a needless test, but in this case, it is the customer making the demanding!

Every flipping reason not to allow testing can be exposed as complete whitewash of common sense for the AMI - and the USDA is the outfit doing the AMI's work. I generally try to stay level and not get too excited about things (except Husker football), but this deal has layer upon layer of BS! I could go on forever, I'm so disgusted and teed off! :mad:

Micro-Branding. To address consumer fears regarding the safety of meat products, "micro-branding", which often identifies the actual producer, where the animal was raised, or how it was fed, is becoming more common. Retailers believe "micro-branding" helps increase consumer confidence as well as differentiate their products from those of competitors.

Trends. Japanese consumers are becoming more value conscious and focusing more on "Kirei" (clean), "Kenko" (healthy), and "Kodawari" (good value) foods. Accountability and traceability are becoming a requirement for food inputs. The demand for organic or natural foods is growing due to consumer concerns about environment, health, and nutrition.
Japan does NOT want MIXED MEATS from unknown countries. They want meats with traceback,TRACEBACK to orgin and its known handlers.

Hey Porker - can you give more details on "micro-branding?" What is it? How is it done? Is it being used much?

PORKER said:
Micro-Branding. To address consumer fears regarding the safety of meat products, "micro-branding", which often identifies the actual producer, where the animal was raised, or how it was fed, is becoming more common. Retailers believe "micro-branding" helps increase consumer confidence as well as differentiate their products from those of competitors.

Trends. Japanese consumers are becoming more value conscious and focusing more on "Kirei" (clean), "Kenko" (healthy), and "Kodawari" (good value) foods. Accountability and traceability are becoming a requirement for food inputs. The demand for organic or natural foods is growing due to consumer concerns about environment, health, and nutrition.
Japan does NOT want MIXED MEATS from unknown countries. They want meats with traceback,TRACEBACK to orgin and its known handlers.

Porker- Great Idea- true and factual labeling to where the product comes from :) But won't this cost the beef industry a small fortune- since packers say that they have no way to segregate or distinquish even cattle from different countries that are already labeled, let alone different farms, ranch's and feedlots... when they claim it will cost millions $ just to label what country it comes from.... :?

Porker- Great Idea- true and factual labeling to where the product comes from But won't this cost the beef industry a small fortune- since packers say that they have no way to segregate or distinquish even cattle from different countries that are already labeled, let alone different farms, ranch's and feedlots... when they claim it will cost millions $ just to label what country it comes from....

Old dog, no new tricks! :)

Hey Porker - can you give more details on "micro-branding?" What is it? How is it done? Is it being used much?
TWO TYPES OF FOOD BRANDING--Macro--Micro
Macro=Tyson
Micro =GotBeef
What is it? micro is the smallest or first orgin food producer. SSI is a micro inableler so that the orgin producer can keep his animal or crop records together until it gets to the consumer as I have been told.They are starting a new system up in Panama and Columbia to help the producers and packers let the buyers in Taiwan and Japan pass the production information on to the consumers as needed.I have my herd in the system too.You can go to www.scoringsystem.com/agri/ and check it out.

Oldtimer said:
PORKER said:

Porker- Great Idea- true and factual labeling to where the product comes from :) But won't this cost the beef industry a small fortune- since packers say that they have no way to segregate or distinquish even cattle from different countries that are already labeled, let alone different farms, ranch's and feedlots... when they claim it will cost millions $ just to label what country it comes from.... :?

Whoa up, there OT, they are talking about RANCH of origin for each animal, not just country of origin! They want to trace it back to YOU! I think there are quite a few of us who are ready and willing to do that in this country, in fact already are doing so through branded beef and some Alliances.

MRJ

MRJ said:
Oldtimer said:
PORKER said:

Whoa up, there OT, they are talking about RANCH of origin for each animal, not just country of origin! They want to trace it back to YOU! I think there are quite a few of us who are ready and willing to do that in this country, in fact already are doing so through branded beef and some Alliances.

MRJ

MRJ- How can the packers possibly do this :???: They claim they don't even have the capability to trace, segregate, and identify back to an entire country- even when everything imported is already labeled....How could they possibly trace to a ranch :? Or have the packers been fibbing to us again?

I read an article about a "Tofu" maker who said he could trace the soybeans that produced a package of tofu back to the rows of soybeans picked by the combine to fill a particular truckload.

Wish I could find that article, he said his customers demanded traceback, and because he provides it he cannot produce enough product to keep the shelves stocked. His article mentioned the word, "microbranding". It involves using GPS and Lat/Lon coordinates, and almost everyone has one now.

If UPS can track every single package they pick up or deliver at any given time, I know we can trace beef back to the source. It will just mean producers and the packers will have to spend some initial dollars.

Oldtimer said:
MRJ said:
Oldtimer said:

MRJ

MRJ- How can the packers possibly do this :???: They claim they don't even have the capability to trace, segregate, and identify back to an entire country- even when everything imported is already labeled....How could they possibly trace to a ranch :? Or have the packers been fibbing to us again?

It's called M"ID" Oldtimer you know that part of M"COOL that R-CALF got taken out.

Latest posts