• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

The Tough Breaks

Help Support Ranchers.net:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
Mrs GCreek was doing her morning check today, saw a calf that was acting a little like pnuemonia so she came back to the house and got some LA to treat it with.
Got back to the calf, got off the bike, treated the calf and as she was leaving the momma iron her out. She said the cow didn't hit her very hard but she landed on her tailbone pretty hard.
The first I knew of it was when she called for help from the basement and woke me up. By the time I got downstairs she had passed out on the floor.
got her up and upstairs, ran a hot bath as she was cold from shock and got her warmed up. She spent the day in the house and has scheduled a doctor's appt. for Monday. She injured her back pretty bad three times before and this didn't help her much.
Our oldest son is off work from logging for the spring so he is here to help until next Friday.
We are 4 days past due date on calving and are 30% done, it has been busy.

DARN IT,I hope shes OK....Give her something for the pain,if its broken{tailbone},not much can be done for it but she is going to need pain help!!!!! Trust me,been there done that,its NOT fun!!!!!!

gcreekrch said:
Pretty much any pain killer makes her sick to her stomach.
Even the coated stuff? BOY I feel for her,you think shes in pain tonight,wait until morning. I guess the hot-cold compresses will keep the swelling down and relieve a little of the pain.If pain killers bother her,muscle relaxants won't be an answer either. Wish I could help!!!

gcreekrch said:
Mrs GCreek was doing her morning check today, saw a calf that was acting a little like pnuemonia so she came back to the house and got some LA to treat it with.
Got back to the calf, got off the bike, treated the calf and as she was leaving the momma iron her out. She said the cow didn't hit her very hard but she landed on her tailbone pretty hard.
The first I knew of it was when she called for help from the basement and woke me up. By the time I got downstairs she had passed out on the floor.
got her up and upstairs, ran a hot bath as she was cold from shock and got her warmed up. She spent the day in the house and has scheduled a doctor's appt. for Monday. She injured her back pretty bad three times before and this didn't help her much.
Our oldest son is off work from logging for the spring so he is here to help until next Friday.
We are 4 days past due date on calving and are 30% done, it has been busy.

That sounds serious. I hope Mrs. GCreek heals fast.

Several years ago, on St. Patrick's Day, Peach was checking some pairs just north of the barn. She was on foot, and got blind-sided by a nasty cow. We had quite a bit of snow on the ground at the time, and the cow pushed Peach through the snow for twenty feet. (We could tell by the tracks after it happened.) The cow rolled Peach around until they were face-to-face, and Peach had the presence of mind to stick both of her point fingers in the cow's eyes. The hurting cow left and Peach was able to get to her feet and come down through the corrals to where I was putting fuel in the tractor. She ended up with a broken collar bone, and was laid up for a couple weeks. Just a day or two later, on Paul Harvey News and Comment, we heard about a young man who was attacked by a shark. He lost a leg out of the encounter, but he also poked the shark in the eyes to get it to leave him alone. This method must work pretty well.

Everyone be careful. Ranching is a dangerous way of life.

Can she take motrin? take a couple then a couple more till you get to 800 mg but MAKE SURE she has food in her stomach.
Ice packs then heat work pretty good to make the pain bearable.
Gawd I feel her pain hope its nothing more than just a bump. Sending prayers

I wonder if bear spray wouldn't be a good thing to pack on your belt-I might have to do a field test on it. I usualy make Ty start bear season with a fresh can. I'm sure I can entice one of our remaining EXT's to get on the peck so I can see what happens with his last years stuff. I know it will turn a bear inside out.

Northern Rancher said:
I wonder if bear spray wouldn't be a good thing to pack on your belt-I might have to do a field test on it. I usualy make Ty start bear season with a fresh can. I'm sure I can entice one of our remaining EXT's to get on the peck so I can see what happens with his last years stuff. I know it will turn a bear inside out.

Just bring along a little garlic salt - when she runs off the edge of the coulee and kills herself you can cut the back straps out and cook them up on the spot - now you have all three important spices handy - do it fast enough and they do not have a chance to toughen up.

Cheers

BC

Dang GCreek, that's tough news. These things can happen so fast it makes your head spin. Hope she feels better soon.

NR, I think I'd leave the pepper spray alone. It would be my luck I'd be downwind when the action happened and I'd end up choking, gasping AND getting rolled around over frozen cow turds. :?

So sorry to hear of Mrs. G's injury. I hope she finds relief and heals quickly. A momma cow can get on you quicker than you can say scat.

Last spring, our one notoriously grumpy cow chased Mrs. burnt into an electric fence over which she dived head first and did a face plant into a newly planted corn field. She was fortunate to escape with only a few scrapes on her face and a few various bruises from landing on the clods of dirt.

The cow has since been turned into hamburger. There ain't no cow good enough to pose a threat to my family anymore . . .

Ouch! Ditto on what MsSage said about the Motrin. Whatever you do, pick one kind of pain reliever and stay with it. Don't mix Motrin (ibuprofen) with Tylenol or aspirin. I pretty much stay with Tylenol. I can't take aspirin because of my blood thinner medication.

Heat might help too, either from a heating pad or hot bath.

:shock: That's awful... sure hope she's okay, and heals up fast. I'm assuming she got served breakfast in bed this morning :wink:.

Northern Rancher said:

There was a product out at the time, which was made to get cows to claim a calf that they weren't necessarily fond of. It was promoted at the Black Hills Stock Show that year, and was made from mint plant oil. It came in liquid form and was in a bottle with a spray nozzle. The biggest drawback was that it was freezable, so you couldn't just leave it in the barn where it was handy.

We found the product to be very effective, and even performed a graft job or two without skinning out the dead calf. I wrote a little feedback to the company and told them their new stuff worked real well. It did seem like if you walked down the alley of the barn carrying this stuff, with pairs in box stalls on both sides, each cow seemed more aggressive and disgusted with you than was normal.

When Peach got mauled, she was carrying a bottle of this mint extract calf-lover liquid. We were never sure if this had any effect on the cow that mauled her, but thought it possible. If Peach would have had another bottle of bear spray in her other hand, maybe the two bottles would have counteracted each other and nothing would have happened. :? :wink:

It was just a thought.....it might seem a good idea if one had you down. I usually tie my calves up with a pigging string-even those hooky cows will usually check their calf out while I'm making up a tag then back off. Calving in close quarters does make the chance of something happening a bit higher.

Bad news Gcreek. Not being able to take pain meds isn't all bad. The pain is there to let you know when you are over doing it. Hot packs followed by cold packs. It exercises and relaxes the muscles at the same time. I have experience in this area having herniated several disks over the years. Laser acupuncture can relieve the pain as well. I'm sure someone near could do that. lol There might be a reclusive Chinese practitioner out there that still has a set of needles. :wink:

Hope she recovers soon. We are not much without our wives. :cry:

A weekend at one of B.C's HotSprings would sure ease the pain I bet. Until then just icing it will help. It's no fun icing your tailbone but it will help.

Sure sorry to hear this. Don't tell her I said it but the older we get the longer it takes to get over these bang ups. Let's hope nothing is broke and she just has a big bruise for you to kiss better. :wink: :lol:

Latest posts