• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

The Tough Breaks

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Our good dogs just naturally knew to NOT GO WHERE THE COWS were at calving time. They'd go around the outside or sit on a hill and watch what we were doing. They just KNEW not to bother the cows at that time. We had a silly dog once that didn't know this and she caused a lot of trouble. She is a gone dog now.

I had my old Aussie dog save me from a cow. She was truly trying to eat me alive and he came bustin' in and got her off me.

I saw blood and just knew it was me......but it was from her ears that he was shredding.

He got her off me, put her down the lane and out into the holding pen. Then came back to me and would not let anyone get near me until I started to get up myself.

A GREAT dog for sure.....miss him every day!

I agree with not allowing the dogs around near calving, but when you have to work on an animal, it helps to have another set of eyes around. Good stock dogs will not STOP a really MAD cow or any other animal, they will distract it enough for the person to get the heck out of the way. That's what they should do. First priority is to keep things calm, and when walking away have your back watched. I would not work stock without my dog.

Anyway, that's just my feelings :) I hope your wife is okay. Serious stuff getting wallopped like that.

Gcreek, hope all is well this morning. Just a little further on the dog conversation. We have treated our boarders like most of you. The dogs stay where they are asked and not in any calving area. This is our first year for a GP dog. She goes where she wants when she wants. She will even go in the barn with cows in there and for the most part they completely ignore her. I can't believe they don't seem to care but I have only seen a couple of cows even look her way. Is that the experience of the rest of you who have GP dogs?

My cows, when in the barn or pens, hardly ever notice my Heeler & Aussie.

Now out in the open pasture, it's a different deal. They watch every move those dogs make.

Sometimes I think animals have a unspoken " language" between themselves.... :lol:

gcreekrch said:
Had x-rays, sceduled for cat-scan, will know more in a few days. Getting around better, still sore.
I'm glad shes moving better :) Did they give her any pain relief?

Mrs.Greg said:
gcreekrch said:
Had x-rays, sceduled for cat-scan, will know more in a few days. Getting around better, still sore.

The doctor she saw had an Eastern European accent, WITH a hairlip. :shock: Needless to say, there was a bit of a communication problem. :lol:
She didn't take the name of the topical you suggested and refused the pills that were offered. We'll see what the x-rays read.

gcreekrch said:
Mrs.Greg said:
gcreekrch said:

The doctor she saw had an Eastern European accent, WITH a hairlip. :shock: Needless to say, there was a bit of a communication problem. :lol:
She didn't take the name of the topical you suggested and refused the pills that were offered. We'll see what the x-rays read.
Well I hope the X-rays read just bruisin no breakin... :wink: Wouldn't hurt to run her a nice hot bath and pamper her a bit tonight :)

Mrs.Greg said:
gcreekrch said:
Mrs.Greg said:

Well I hope the X-rays read just bruisin no breakin... :wink: Wouldn't hurt to run her a nice hot bath and pamper her a bit tonight :)

Are you kidding Mrs. Greg, they live off the grid. Quick dip in the creek after Gcreek cuts a hole in the ice. :shock: :D She just spent a night in town. I'll bet she had a warm bath there. :) All kidding aside, I hope all is well with the Mrs., Dave.

If you read those Richard Hobson books,you'll find the women in that area are pretty tough cookies :wink: Hope evrything heals well for the Mrs. 8)

Gcreek, I have been busy nursing wives, MILs and calves for a few days. This AM is the first I heard this. Do keep us posted, and hope she heals fully & quickly. My wife doesn't tolerate pain killers well, but has got along with Percocet pretty well.

Mrs Gcreek is my hero, there's no way I'm tough enough to live where she does,I'm a soft city gal :oops: I bet Dave carried the bigger feed pails for her last few days though :)

Hope shes feeling better.

Mrs.Greg said:
Mrs Gcreek is my hero, there's no way I'm tough enough to live where she does,I'm a soft city gal :oops: I bet Dave carried the bigger feed pails for her last few days though :)

He always makes sure she has two to carry. Keeps her well balanced that way. :wink:

Big Muddy rancher said:
Mrs.Greg said:

He always makes sure she has two to carry. Keeps her well balanced that way. :wink:

It's called "equality".

We're both pretty bagged right now, son went home this morning to take DIL to her parents for a visit. Been raining and snowing since 4:00 PM yesterday, everything is LOON$H!T. The calves are falling out like crazy, 9 days and we are nearly half done. Will be good to see son again on Tuesday with our gen set that he rebuilt for us. If things get too carried away there is a young fella down in town that is pretty handy. Takes a special person to put up with two grumpy old pharts at calving time.
Better go make sure the Mrs. bath water is the right temp and catch up on my taggin'.

Cheers

How's the Mrs.? Are you surviving alright? On top of everything you can't even go back to default mode in the house. When we are busy all we have to do is throw money at the utilities and there is light and heat. Take care of yourself, Gcreek.

Oh, we're doing fine, considering. We have a little 6500 watt gas generator here taking up the slack.

Yesterday was 11 days from due date and we are 55% calved. Most of them are looking after themselves like they ought to.

Waitin' for Ol' H to get up here for when the ewes start lambing next week. :wink:

Latest posts