• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

The way I've done it

Help Support Ranchers.net:

OldDog/NewTricks

Reaction score
Making you Horse Walk - a good read by a good writer - I wish I could put my thoughts to paper like this but I always get lost!

http://www.horseproblems.com.au/horse_problems_on_fixing_the_ign.htm

Hope this works! ---> Works :!:

I don't like the way he teaches a horse to lung!

Link wouldn't work. Would you check it out, please.

There are people who can make horses really walk. They always fascinate me. The very best was the cow boss at Rock Creek Cattle Co. in western Montana. Every horse he had could really walk. And if you had one that couldn't walk, just have Howard ride it a few times. I don't know how he did it, but EVERY horse he ever rode could really walk.

We tried picking his brain about it. He said he gives them a rythum, a beat to pick up on. ???????? He had to encourage them a lot with his legs too, which must have been a natural way he rode. You never saw him use his reins or anything...but man, could they walk. He made no dust doing it. I always thought it was an 'inner man' thing.

We bought a dandy horse, a grandson of Leo. We got him because he could NOT walk, And he couldn't. Just wasn't interested in covering ground. He was a great rope horse, excellent cow horse, because he was interested then. But just to walk somewhere, he would yawn and yawn. He didn't care if horses got ahead of him, he didn't care if he was going to the barn, he just drug along. We sent him to Howard and when he came home, I'm telling you, that horse could WALK.

I also couldn't get the link to work......

I learned from horses that had that great walk. Remember the feel and try to move your hips a little to a beat that is similar to the cadence of a good walking horse. It gets to where it is easier for the horse to be in the same rhythem than fighting the wieght distribution....

You may not be able to start at the high beat, but something a bit faster than the horse is at and work up.....
If you don't think they have it in them, try walking back to the barn when they are fresh, it is still in em,LOL,

PPRM

FH,

I seen Bob Blackwell pick a horses pace up, uses his hips, legs and feet to creat a pace,

Was just thinking bout his as sometimes it takes more than hips,

PPRM

Latest posts