• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Things I have done and maybe you also...Are they abuse?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

maybe I should give him the 3 AM phone call instead of the VET :wink: Knowing my luck he will likely want breeding fees :)

FH,

Your description of Mr FH's methods reminds me of what I consider the proper way to use dogs......Ride ahead and have the dogs bring the cattle to you....Too many people use dogs to chase cattle away.....

Ever wonder why the rider in the lead is so important? Cattle trained right will look to them for direction....

Of course, much of this does require being around the cattle enough so they figure it out.....Cattle are great once they get used to the lead rider concept and dogs used the right way,

Excellent point you brought up,

Getting back to the cow psychology part of this conversation. Ever wonder how a cow knows what you are thinking or planning on doing. I think that they are a lot better at reading our body language than we are at reading theirs. A cow in her natural state is a very lazy animal. They have to be taught how to chase quietly and slowly. They aren't born with this knowledge. I've spent hundreds of hours holding new cattle in the corner of a field and then slowly teaching them how to chase. It's a hoot and it's fun when you see them settle right down and start to respond. Also reducing the distance between you and them and building trust. I think it comes right down to a mutual respect thing. A very wise cattleman told me years ago that if you ever have to take your horse out of a trot when you are moving cattle , you are doing something wrong, not the cattle, you. I believe this is true. If you have to go ripping across a field after a cow, then that tells you that this cow was never properly trained in how to chase to begin with. In her natural state, she isn't going to go running across a field for no reason. Every situation is different ,though, and I've also had to rope a lot of snot blowing cows that were mishandled by their owners.

kinda hard to train these woods cows,they could teach a deer new tricks on hiding an slipping away.takes some good cur dogs and a pretty good horse just to keep them in sight sometimes.but i agree with you on semi tame ones that get used to seeing people.

Latest posts