• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Those of you with Corgi's please read!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TXTibbs

Reaction score
South Central Texas, former South Dakotan
Ok so how does one get a Corgi house broke!! Mine is the most stubborn thing EVER!! Its prolly my fault cause during the day she is forced to go on a puppy pad in the bathroom, but even when I'm there with her she will go anywhere and wont even look at the pad. The pad is for when she is in the bathroom only and when I'm there she is suppose to go outside. She knows the whole "outside" command, but she won't tell me if she needs out to go piss. She is about 5 months old. AND....do any of you have the problem with them pissing when they get excited or when you call them over and pick them up? She is a constant trail of urine that little pup and its starting to get old!!! Just wondering if mine is the only stubborn one around.

geeeeez, TXTibbs, we never had a problem with ours. :? We got him at 4 weeks of age, we had a small room where he slept all night by himself, and we put papers down. He seemed to catch on really well...haven't ever had a problem with him. May it's sex-linked (nothing against you ladies), she is quickly approaching puberty and maybe the hormonal changes occurring in her are starting to cause some loss of bladder control. our male has never "piddled" when we call him or pick him up, even when he was a pup. Maybe Turkey Track Bar can be of more help, even Faster Horses, as she was having probs with her female. I sure hope the problem gets ironed out, it is so frustrating esp when your doggie should be potty trained already! :???: Are you with her 24/7 or is she by herself all day? Our pup would spend all day outside with us as we went about our daily routine on the ranch. I think that is what made it easier for the potty training. :???: GOOD LUCK and keep us posted!

I have always had sucess with krate training and there is a great website by Ed Frawley that I can send to you that has a lot details about sucessfully house breaking. I have only had this pup 2 days and that is not enough time to tell but so far, no accidents. She is 10 weeks now. As soon as she is removed from her krate, I take her out back to the pasture and she is ready to go. But she is a half breed Corgi/blue healer so I may be asking for help before this is over. I should lose weight jumping up and down after her which won't hurt me at all.
The best of luck as I know it is very frusterating for you. Cheers! :wink:
I will get her picture posted for you all to see soon and I named her Margarita but Rita for short.

TXTibbs said:
Ok so how does one get a Corgi house broke!!

I would get a suitable sized crate (based on her adult size) and crate train her. Dogs have a natural denning instinct so they generally like the crate, plus they will not mess in their 'home'. If you cannot watch her, even if you are in the house, put her in her crate. If she whines or cries when you leave her in the crate, whack the side of the crate with a newspaper and tell her 'No'. Just be sure to take her out to do her business about every 4 hours, and take her to the same place each time, the markers will trigger her urination/defecation reflex so to speak. When she does her business, praise her lavishly. All 3 of my dogs have their own crate and they voluntarily go to their crate when it's bed time. Mine are housebroke, so I don't have doors on their crates anymore.

Mine is the most stubborn thing EVER!! Its prolly my fault cause during the day she is forced to go on a puppy pad in the bathroom, but even when I'm there with her she will go anywhere and wont even look at the pad.

Yes, you are training her to do her business in the house. I made the same mistake with mine, except it was newspaper, before I learned about crate training. I can't leave newspaper laying anywhere to this day because I trained them to use it for their business, and they still do if it's on the floor! PS If you have a good-sized pet store anywhere near you, simple solution or nature's miracle does an excellent job of removing the stains/odors/markers of puppy accidents. It is also available via the internet at PetSmart.Com. Just follow the directions.

The pad is for when she is in the bathroom only and when I'm there she is suppose to go outside. She knows the whole "outside" command, but she won't tell me if she needs out to go p***.

Ok, this can be a double-edged sword but here goes; can you get her excited enough to where she starts barking? If so, do that, immediately after she barks give the command to 'speak'. A few times and she will correlate the two, when she does - give her a treat, praise her lavishly, and you have taught her to speak. Now, watch her carefully, when she starts sniffing around, looking anxious/uneasy/tense, she has to pee. Take her to the door, but don't let her out yet. Give her the command 'speak', when she barks praise her, another treat, let her out. Watch and make sure she does her business, really praise her, another treat. It won't take her long to put two and two together, bark and run to the door when she needs to go out. BUT - you can NEVER scold her for barking without making sure she doesn't have to go out first or you have confused her.

She is about 5 months old. AND....do any of you have the problem with them pissing when they get excited or when you call them over and pick them up? She is a constant trail of urine that little pup and its starting to get old!!!

I have had several female dogs like this. It's called submissive urination, and she is telling you in doggie language that you are the alpha male/female. You really need to simply ignore it when it happens. Punishing her or scolding her will only make her more submissive and compound the problem. When you come in the door, simply ignore her for a few moments, then pet her but keep it low key. She will get it under control a whole lot faster if you can help her out with it.

Just wondering if mine is the only stubborn one around.

It doesn't really sound like she is being stubborn, I think you and she simply have your signals crossed. You are not really understanding what she is trying to tell you, and she is not understanding what you are trying to teach her. Just my thoughts. Corgi's are beautiful dogs and I hope everything works out well for you. :D

What great information TXTIBBS shared about krate training and I plan to use it on the new pup Rita. Thanks, TXTIBBS, for taking the time to write it all out. I appreciate your knowledge.

carole3218 said:
What great information TXTIBBS shared about krate training and I plan to use it on the new pup Rita. Thanks, TXTIBBS, for taking the time to write it all out. I appreciate your knowledge.

carole I think that was jeannie that wrote it out as TXtibbs had the questions.

I tried to figure out who wrote the information and I looked at the top of the article thinking TXTibbs was the author. I questioned myself if it was Jeannie. I should have done my research better before responding. Sorry about that....

Its ok.....I'll take the credit!!! JOKING.

anyway.....my dog is crate trained, but that don't keep her from pissing in the house. I may try the whole outside barking thing...and see if that helps. I am away from the house for like 10 hours a day and i don't trust enough to leave her in the yard all that time in this Texas heat and with people driving around to swipe her. So I put her in one of my bathrooms for the time being until she can control her bladder like my 5 year old border collie then she can run free in the house. Besides...I seen a flea last night so i've got a whole new set of problems....haha......... :wink:

TXTibbs said:
Its ok.....I'll take the credit!!! JOKING.

anyway.....my dog is crate trained, but that don't keep her from pissing in the house. I may try the whole outside barking thing...and see if that helps. I am away from the house for like 10 hours a day and i don't trust enough to leave her in the yard all that time in this Texas heat and with people driving around to swipe her. So I put her in one of my bathrooms for the time being until she can control her bladder like my 5 year old border collie then she can run free in the house. Besides...I seen a flea last night so i've got a whole new set of problems....haha......... :wink:

Fleas are easy! Just call your vet a visit and ask about Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution. Depending on how often you bathe her, all of them are good up to 60 days, maybe even 90. I personally never had good luck with Frontline and used Advantage (Revolution was new at that time, and I was wary). I put it on them and, within 24 hours, no flea problem, unless you have a major infestation in the house. Advantage runs about 10.00/treatment/dog, not sure about the others. Be careful with the Revolution if she has not been tested for heart worms. Revolution also treats for heartworms, and intenstinal (sp?) parasites. If she is positive for heart worms, it can cause major damage - like death.

You are also wise not to leave her in the backyard for 10 hours a day when you are gone! Puppies cannot regulate their temperature yet, so they are much more suseptible (sp?) to heat stroke and there is always the chance someone will steal her. Or she may dig out and get hit by a car or otherwise hurt or killed.

Carol, not a problem! :D I'm glad the information was helpful! I found a book many years ago about training dogs. It was written by an order of priests that bred, trained and sold German Shepherds to supplement their income and it was THE best book about dogs I have ever found. Unfortunately, my dumba#@ husband loaned it out and I never got it back. I cannot remember the name or who wrote it, but I bought it at Waldenbooks I believe. I would think any major bookstore would be able to find it.

TX Tibbs:

I am sorry to hear you're having a tough time training Concho. We never had an once of problem with Holly. Like Hanta Yo, we got our Corgi when she was pretty young (5 weeks old) and by 8 weeks she was fully trained. Since then she's had two accidents, but they were our fault as she was telling us she needed out, but we weren't paying attention! She got us trained quickly after that!

Pete Carmichael always says that when a border collie does something you're not happy with to growl at them--again, kinda like the pack-the alpha animal will really growl at the "underlings" when they're not happy. Maybe when you catch Concho messing, and I think you'll have to catch her in the act, growl at her and then throw her out. I have no idea if it'll work but maybe it worth a try. And really growl, like you're mad, not playing!!!!

We trained Holly by putting her out after every meal, drink, and when she got up from sleeping, whether is was in the morning when we got up (she's kennelled during the night), or during the day. Also if she did make a mess we threw here out right away---I know you're not home a lot so that might not work. But when you are there, maybe give it a try.

Sorry I'm no better help. I think we got lucky, and I guess I'm a little surprised you're having challenges, as it just doesn't seem to be a corgi thing, but then again, they are a little independent.

Let us know if you make any progress---

TTB

Jeannie said:
Be careful with the Revolution if she has not been tested for heart worms. Revolution also treats for heartworms, and intenstinal (sp?) parasites. If she is positive for heart worms, it can cause major damage - like death.

Umm...Revolution gets ticks, ear mites, sarcoptic mange, heartworm, fleas, but is only an aid in treatment of roundworms, and doesn't touch hookworms. Great external protection, aside from heartworm, mediocre internal protection. JMHPO. And the heartworm test is essential if the animal is over 6 months of age...
V

I had forgotten how much work a new puppy can be. Rita, the Corgi-heeler, has me on the run all the time. It has been a number of years since I had a pup so I did not remember they chew all the time. My husband and Rita are is a competiton as she has escaped the pen he has built 3 times and we are hoping he has won this last one. 2 days now and she has not figured out how to get out. I wondered what luck any of you had with keeping a puppy in a stock trailer fpr safety when I am not home? We have coyotes and fox here so I watch her pretty close. I crate her at night and for periods during the day. I should lose some weight with all this running after her. I have her pic and now I need to figure out how to share it with you all. :eek:

Vicki the vet said:
Jeannie said:
Be careful with the Revolution if she has not been tested for heart worms. Revolution also treats for heartworms, and intenstinal (sp?) parasites. If she is positive for heart worms, it can cause major damage - like death.

Umm...Revolution gets ticks, ear mites, sarcoptic mange, heartworm, fleas, but is only an aid in treatment of roundworms, and doesn't touch hookworms. Great external protection, aside from heartworm, mediocre internal protection. JMHPO. And the heartworm test is essential if the animal is over 6 months of age...
V

Thank you for correcting me Vicki! To everyone else, sorry about the misinformation. :oops: :oops:

TX TIBBS, our cute little Dixie/Dusty did exactly what you have described...until she was over 6 months old. Now at almost 8 months (can't believe she is that old already~) she seldom has a problem. So, be patient. I don't think they can help it. I sincerely think it is emotion based. We have had lots of different kinds of dogs throughout the years and the worse ones I remember for peeing when spoken to, touched, etc. were Cocker Spanials. For awhile there I wondered if Dixie/Dusty was part Cocker!!!!! :?

Hang in there!!!

I have been missing this category. I cannot believe it is the 4th of July and I have pneumonia. The Greeley Stampede ended today and I made it to the parade as it is the largest 4th of July parade, I am told, in the country. Miss Rita has been a good companion as I have been stuck in bed since last Wednesday. Just glad they did not put me in hospital as that would have been the pitts. :oops:

carole3218 said:
I have been missing this category. I cannot believe it is the 4th of July and I have pneumonia. The Greeley Stampede ended today and I made it to the parade as it is the largest 4th of July parade, I am told, in the country. Miss Rita has been a good companion as I have been stuck in bed since last Wednesday. Just glad they did not put me in hospital as that would have been the pitts. :oops:

Hope you get feeling better :) That summer pneumonia is bad. My mohter had it last summer and was in the hospital for a month. Saw a ad in the local paper for a CHI machine for $170 . My dad tried to buy it off the lady before and she didn't want to sell it then now it is cheap for up here.

carole3218 said:

That really sucks! I am so sorry that you are ill. I hope you are up and about, and feeling terrific, in a very short time! Take care!

I am not much better to my dismay! I had to get another prescription of high powered horse pills yesterday as the first script was not cutting it. It is really hard to be sick in July. :( Miss Rita and I are becoming great companions and she is doing well with potty training.

I had to call the vet this morning as she is throwing up and I think she ate something bad. As soon as I let her off her lead, she is scouting everywhere for something to chew on. We have a critter (never seen it) who visits us every night, leaving poop in front of the garage. It is hard to keep her always on the end of a lesh. I try to keep her steered away from it but I will make sure she doesn't find it from now on. We are going to the vet this afternoon. Thanks for the well wishes, I appreciate
it! :wink:
If you can find a Chi Machine for $170.00 in your area, you better buy it. This is the first time in 40 years that I don't have back pain. It has given me back a life as I was down from Fibromyalgia and neck/back pain for 6 years. They wanted to fuse my neck in 1999 and I don't have any neck problems now. 8)

Well my Corgi, Concho, Seems to be getting better with age. She hasn't messed in the house for a while, except in her bathroom on her little puppy pads. I give her a flea bath last night and so she is all fluffy and clean now once again. I bathed my border collie , Skamp, to. Can't have just one clean dog. Especially when they are both inside poooches!

Concho is sure a stubborn little rat tho still. I'll have to get some pictures up and post them of her and Skamp.

Take care

carole--what a pretty pup!! but with that breeding you have your work cut out for you..

you guys and all your pups remind me of why i haven't had a pup for YEARS--one) i'm gone for at least 12 hours/day. try to housebreak, right? :roll: two) i have been able to find, thru rescue groups and/or the humane society, dogs that are housebroken and fit my needs. i think the most important phrase there is "fit my needs".

to each their own--but there are a LOT of dogs that die each year for nothing. wouldn't want that job for ANY amount of money ('cause it'd cost too much to keep all of them up that i couldn't face killing).

ah well--i do what i can. and SOMEONE has to housebreak the babies!! :)

Latest posts