• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Thoughts On A Bull

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I Luv Herfrds

Reaction score
Found this guy in Canada.

IMG_9110.jpg

IMG_9112.jpg

IMG_9113.jpg

IMG_9114.jpg

IMG_9115.jpg

IMG_9116.jpg

IMG_9117.jpg

WOW. I think he looks great. How old is he and what is weight? Registered?

I'm not a real big Hereford fan, but to be truthful I rather like this bull. He is meaty, straight lined, and has a darned good hind end. He also has pigment around his eyes, which makes for good brockle-faced half Angus-half Hereford F1 replacement heifers. Buy him; you won't go wrong. :wink:

I'm kind of with Soapweed on this one. Not too much wrong with him except I don't personally like his head. Could be the horns making it look like a big hard calving block or could be my bias against horns. Of course they never quite look the same as in person. You have the advantage of seeing him first hand.

Might like to see him in person to know for sure. What do you dislike with his neck?

Being that it is 105 degree's out and windy I will put my two bits in on this one. It all depends on what he costs and what his use is. On the +side of things I like his thickness and length of hip. There is a lot of meat in that fellow,from the picture he looks like he is sound on his feet and legs and should be able to travel. I don't think I would use him heifers, how ever a good set of black cows would work nicely.
Now on the -- side of things yes his sheath is a little loose but I seen worse. The first thing I thought when I seen his picture was the white legs I try to breed away from that, as that leads to line backs. I also prefer a polled head but each to their own . Also it seams when you get a bull with some thickness you also get those front shoulders with it,and a lot of capacity. He also has a good set of gonads. So if the price is right go for it. In my opinion.

Lots of differing opinions on this guy.

Plans are for breeding our main herd of 3 years of age and older cows. Wanting to add more muscle in our cattle. I like the eye pigment around the eyes. Not quite as much as he has but just a bit.

Larrry here is a pic of a pair from this ranch
IMG_9015.jpg

Some other bulls
IMG_9118.jpg

IMG_9120.jpg

IMG_9125.jpg

IMG_9123.jpg

He is a thick rascal, but my impression is the same as BMR, especially when you compare him to his litter-mates. Not intended as a breed distinction comment, but I placed his great-great uncle to win a class of Simmental yearling bulls when I was in school, or else someone copied his leg markings exactly.

Strange to see so much eye pigment with such big white stockings......on a Hereford that is......

Latest posts