• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Thoughts on replacement heifers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Thoughts on Replacement Heifers
By Steve Moreland, September 3, 2015

There are different ideas on how to bring replacement females into a cow herd. It is often argued that a rancher can buy replacement bred heifers or cows cheaper than raising their own, but there are other factors to consider other than price alone. One of the major satisfactions I get as a cattle rancher is in watching home-raised heifer calves wearing our Spearhead brand turn into good producing cows, with calves of their own at side.

When retaining home-raised females, you have opportunity to keep the best and sell the rest. When buying bred heifers or cows of any age, you are probably purchasing someone else's culls, or at best their "seconds." Bad disposition, lack of milk, too much milk, breechiness, or any number of other reasons could be the reason these females are for sale. If the previous owner found fault with them, chances are that you will, too.

There is a cost in retaining home-bred heifers, but sometimes this is over emphasized. After weaning, many ranchers feed heifer calves over the winter, graze them the next summer, and then sell them off grass as open yearling feeder heifers. Most years there is profit in this method, whether by keeping them open or by spaying them. If there is money to be made by doing this, there is not much additional cost in doing the same with heifers to be bred. There is the cost of artificial breeding the heifers, or in purchasing bulls, but this is the only real additional cost in having bred heifers instead of feeder heifers.

Steers are handled in much the same way. After weaning they are wintered, summered on grass, and sold as feeders at the end of the grazing season. Let's say a yearling steer in September is worth $2000 (they were this time last year). A yearling feeder heifer is probably worth 10% less than the value of a steer, which would be $1800. A high quality bred yearling heifer could easily be worth 10% more than a steer, which would be $2200. The extra value of a good bred heifer should easily offset any additional cost incurred, such as bull or AI expense. In our own operation, any surplus bred heifers can usually be sold at a fair price for both buyer and seller.

One of my philosophies of ranching is to always keep our cattle in "saleable" condition. I like to take care of livestock as I would like to be cared for if I was one of them. Anytime a person sits ringside at a cattle auction, there are always certain cattle that look better and sell for a premium. Ample feed and adequate salt and mineral go a long ways in having cattle that show good condition. If certain cattle are worth more on sale day, I like to have the cattle at home look the same because if they are worth a premium to someone else, they are worth that same premium to me, even though they will just stay on the ranch.

Good nutrition can take the place of a lot of fancy genetics, and the best genetics don't amount to a hill of beans without good nutrition. Fat can cover up a lot of "sins" in conformation of cattle. Another consideration is in having "liquid" assets. If cattle are in good condition, they can be sold at any time for top dollar for the day.

Uniformity is another point to not be overlooked. Buyers seem to pay a premium for uniform lots of cattle. Having tried several breeds through the years, my preference is Angus. They tend to be very functional and useful cattle. The Certified Angus Beef promotion has been a great selling point for the breed. Angus are naturally polled. It is easier to breed off horns than it is to deal with dehorning. Angus tend to have good udders and good feet. If crossbreeding is desired, Angus cross very well with any other breed.

It is always interesting watching new females become part of a ranch cow herd. It is even more satisfying to see home-raised heifers join the group. They make the transformation quite easily, because they already know the ways of the ranch.

Excellent philosophy for raising high quality cattle, Soapweed! Anything more said would be redundant of me.

mrj

I have always wondered why I can't afford to raise my own replacements, but someone else can afford to raise replacements and sell them to me. Apparently the people raising replacements for sale to others are doing it out of a sense of altruism because they must also be losing money doing it as well.

I agree with and practice the philosophy you advocate, except there is a typo, you kept forgetting the "red" in front of the word Angus.

I sure agree with you on keeping your own Hfrs. Anytime I buy cows I seem to buy problem or don't get anything better then I could have raised. If these hfrs sell where they seem to think they will retained hfrs are probably netting$600 dollars to the rancher and he has his own stock.

rancherfred said:
I have always wondered why I can't afford to raise my own replacements, but someone else can afford to raise replacements and sell them to me. Apparently the people raising replacements for sale to others are doing it out of a sense of altruism because they must also be losing money doing it as well.

I agree with and practice the philosophy you advocate, except there is a typo, you kept forgetting the "red" in front of the word Angus.

Did you mean "Fred Angus" :wink: :lol: :lol: :cowboy:

rancherfred said:

Red Angus would be my second choice. :wink:

There is another advantage in keeping your own replacement heifers. By not selling them, you don't need to show that as income and be taxed accordingly. One of my goals has always been to make our operation look like it is making money from the banker's perspective, but not doing so well from the IRS perspective. Keeping and breeding more heifers than are needed each year has been a way to expand gradually without too many dire consequences.

You said it well, Soapweed. We have always heard that you can buy replacement heifers cheaper than you can raise them. That never worked for us....we were never able to keep our numbers up without keeping our own heifers back. As for nutrition, a great ranching neighbor was known to say more than once "Feed's the breed." He never had a thin cow on his place. I agree with you on Angus cattle and I do like Red Angus too. They are the most problem-free and easily sold, seems to me.

Soapweed said:
Thoughts on Replacement Heifers
By Steve Moreland, September 3, 2015

There are different ideas on how to bring replacement females into a cow herd. It is often argued that a rancher can buy replacement bred heifers or cows cheaper than raising their own, but there are other factors to consider other than price alone. One of the major satisfactions I get as a cattle rancher is in watching home-raised heifer calves wearing our Spearhead brand turn into good producing cows, with calves of their own at side.

When retaining home-raised females, you have opportunity to keep the best and sell the rest. When buying bred heifers or cows of any age, you are probably purchasing someone else's culls, or at best their "seconds." Bad disposition, lack of milk, too much milk, breechiness, or any number of other reasons could be the reason these females are for sale. If the previous owner found fault with them, chances are that you will, too.

There is a cost in retaining home-bred heifers, but sometimes this is over emphasized. After weaning, many ranchers feed heifer calves over the winter, graze them the next summer, and then sell them off grass as open yearling feeder heifers. Most years there is profit in this method, whether by keeping them open or by spaying them. If there is money to be made by doing this, there is not much additional cost in doing the same with heifers to be bred. There is the cost of artificial breeding the heifers, or in purchasing bulls, but this is the only real additional cost in having bred heifers instead of feeder heifers.

Steers are handled in much the same way. After weaning they are wintered, summered on grass, and sold as feeders at the end of the grazing season. Let's say a yearling steer in September is worth $2000 (they were this time last year). A yearling feeder heifer is probably worth 10% less than the value of a steer, which would be $1800. A high quality bred yearling heifer could easily be worth 10% more than a steer, which would be $2200. The extra value of a good bred heifer should easily offset any additional cost incurred, such as bull or AI expense. In our own operation, any surplus bred heifers can usually be sold at a fair price for both buyer and seller.

One of my philosophies of ranching is to always keep our cattle in "saleable" condition. I like to take care of livestock as I would like to be cared for if I was one of them. Anytime a person sits ringside at a cattle auction, there are always certain cattle that look better and sell for a premium. Ample feed and adequate salt and mineral go a long ways in having cattle that show good condition. If certain cattle are worth more on sale day, I like to have the cattle at home look the same because if they are worth a premium to someone else, they are worth that same premium to me, even though they will just stay on the ranch.

Good nutrition can take the place of a lot of fancy genetics, and the best genetics don't amount to a hill of beans without good nutrition. Fat can cover up a lot of "sins" in conformation of cattle. Another consideration is in having "liquid" assets. If cattle are in good condition, they can be sold at any time for top dollar for the day.

Uniformity is another point to not be overlooked. Buyers seem to pay a premium for uniform lots of cattle. Having tried several breeds through the years, my preference is Angus. They tend to be very functional and useful cattle. The Certified Angus Beef promotion has been a great selling point for the breed. Angus are naturally polled. It is easier to breed off horns than it is to deal with dehorning. Angus tend to have good udders and good feet. If crossbreeding is desired, Angus cross very well with any other breed.

It is always interesting watching new females become part of a ranch cow herd. It is even more satisfying to see home-raised heifers join the group. They make the transformation quite easily, because they already know the ways of the ranch.
I agree, and think that the same philosophy can also be applied to keeping some of your own bulls, since the bulls for sale likely go back to bloodlines that you've already got, unless you switch colors.

Traveler said:
I agree, and think that the same philosophy can also be applied to keeping some of your own bulls, since the bulls for sale likely go back to bloodlines that you've already got, unless you switch colors.

This statement has me scratching my head. Wouldn't keeping your own bulls be more apt to result in "bloodlines that you've already got"?

This is the reason I buy our bulls--to introduce outcrosses rather than intensifying bloodines that we already have. There is the saying something to the effect that by intensifying bloodlines, "if it works it's called linebreeding, and if it doesn't work it's called inbreeding." By using purchased bulls, I try to lessen the chances of having an inbreeding wreck.

An easy and efficient method would be for two ranches having similar high quality cattle to each keep some of their best male calves as bulls and then trade their bull calves at weaning time. This could be a win-win for both parties.

Are you really able to find all new bulls every year that are true outcrosses when you do the pedigree research? There's a lot of commonality in what's on the market, imo. Bringing in an outside bull and breeding some of your best cows to it for purpose of saving some bull calves, or doing similiar with AI isn't going to cause you problems, certainly not an inbreeding wreck. Darn sure should save you some money.

Traveler said:
Are you really able to find all new bulls every year that are true outcrosses when you do the pedigree research? There's a lot of commonality in what's on the market, imo. Bringing in an outside bull and breeding some of your best cows to it for purpose of saving some bull calves, or doing similiar with AI isn't going to cause you problems, certainly not an inbreeding wreck. Darn sure should save you some money.

I bought one new bull here this spring first in 7 years I do buy a lot of bulls in a straw. I tend to look at it the same as you. Maybe buy some outside females bred totally different but haven't done that in 10 years either plenty of variation in a 180 cow herd at this time.

I use New purchased bulls on my Purebred but not registered cows and multiply the to get groups of half brothers to use on my commercial cows. I sold a package of hfrs to the ranch I buy my bulls from and when I told him 11 of the 13 bulls used were half brothers he said no wonder they looked like peas in a pod.

I get outside cows one of two ways. I have some pretty good irrigated pastures. Around us, guys graze in dry hills. Many cull cows automatically that are 10 years old. i can get a coupe of calves from these. I feel I am getting cows that have proven they can stay in the herd and like keeping their Heifers as well.

The second thing I do is buy yearling Heifers. I have them pregged as if they have a calf, i feed them differently. NA Fattened Momma Heifer is far from ideal.

Another reason to keep your own replacement stock is biosecurity. The fewer new animals you imported to the ranch the less chance of bringing in a new disease or strain of scours/ecoli.

Well Soap, everything you laid out is what we've always said here as well. Well, right up to the part about the Angus that is :lol: I guess having differing opinions is what makes things interesting :)

Another good reason for retaining ones own heifers is they are acclimated to the envoirment they are raised in. Out here it's a big deal. Born out on the winter range these young calves learn what to eat by watching their moms. Learn water holes. Learn to trail to and from summer ranges. I watched first hand this year as a ranch brought in boughten 2 year olds. A complete wreck. You cannot put a price tag on what it means to have cattle broke to their envoirment.

Ho55 said:
Another good reason for retaining ones own heifers is they are acclimated to the envoirment they are raised in. Out here it's a big deal. Born out on the winter range these young calves learn what to eat by watching their moms. Learn water holes. Learn to trail to and from summer ranges. I watched first hand this year as a ranch brought in boughten 2 year olds. A complete wreck. You cannot put a price tag on what it means to have cattle broke to their envoirment.

Ho55, you said that very well, and it does make a lot of difference.

I kind of touched on it with my thoughts, when I wrote: "It is always interesting watching new females become part of a ranch cow herd. It is even more satisfying to see home-raised heifers join the group. They make the transformation quite easily, because they already know the ways of the ranch."

Undoubtedly on big country "open range" conditions, this principle applies even more so than it does where cattle do less grazing and have feed hauled to them in a more controlled environment. All things considered, you are very right when you say, "You cannot put a price tag on what it means to have cattle broke to their environment."

Good points. I will add, for any who aren't familiar with 'ranch' talk, that the word "broke" means 'trained', as in how to move with the rest of the herd, in the case of cattle, or learning to carry a rider, etc. if it's a horse, having learned that some people think to "break" an animal means to break it's spirit with harsh treatment. Not true, with very few exceptions.

mrj

I have few cows but work with a big ranch that takes care of them. I definitely like the home-raised heifer much better as we have mated the cows the way we want them (through a lot of A.I.) and we are working at all traits that we can measure to improve and select replacements. The home-raised heifer is used to the system of handling whether it be horseback, ATV or on foot and the methods in which the handlers employ them. Cows that I have purchased have mostly fallen out of the herd before they reach an old age. Probably my poor selection decisions are to blame but this has caused me to learn not to overlook functionality first. I also find value in selecting good-footed, good-uddered, high docility Angus bulls to A.I. to. I would not have worried about these traits in my earlier years but I find these to be areas that can quickly make hamburger out of an otherwise desirable cow. Growth and carcass traits can come along for the ride as long as functionality is taken care of first. Again, its the purchased cows that have been my problem.

I believe no one has ever walked through their cattle and said "This is my favorite cow" I think I'll take her to the sale barn today.

Latest posts