• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

TICKS

Help Support Ranchers.net:

It may sound a little crazy but some years ago a neighbor started putting a flea collar around his ankle just on the outside of his boots. We tried it here and no more problems with the ticks getting on us. We use frontline on the collies and haven't had a problem with them in a long while.

It may sound a little crazy but some years ago a neighbor started putting a flea collar around his ankle just on the outside of his boots. We tried it here and no more problems with the ticks getting on us. We use frontline on the collies and haven't had a problem with them in a long while.

We are treating the dogs every two weeks and still we are getting ticks in record numbers.

We got 40 off one 6 mpnth old pup and the week before we got 45 - - - I hope at some point they will back off!

George said:
My vet said this is the worst year he has seen for ticks.

We were contacted by a young lady that bought a pup from us and she has a 1 acre fenced lot with " lots of trees " and her pup was acting listless so she took him to her vet,

The vet dipped him and got 45 ticks! She took him home and took a shower with him and found 10 more!

The vet I use is an old timer (72) and instead of the expensive heart worm and flea medicines for dogs has me use Zimecterin and with that it takes very little ( one notch on the plunger ) every 30 days.

My dogs still have gotten an ocasional tick but I feel if I did not find it and remove it the tick would die as since doing this I no longer find any bloated ticks. I feel I'm finding them before they die and fall off.

The young lady said they had been using Advantage and her vet recommended to go to every 2 weeks instead of once a month untill the wet weather subsides. That stuff is about $30.00 a treatment if I remember right.

Do any of you use Zemecterin of fleas, ticks, heartworms on your dogs?

Definately not arguing with your vet when I say this, but be very careful with using Ivermectin paste in dogs- especially any healers/collies (at least the ones you want to keep around). They are easily prone to poisoning, where many other breeds receiving the same dosage are not. I'm all about saving a buck where I can as well, but keep in mind a small mess up can cost several hundred or the dog. It is due to the liability and high potential for toxicity when not used extremely acurately, as to why it is not recommended more generally.

I have not seen a tick yet t his season. Also, haven't heard anyone mention a lot of them around. I will keep my ears open. Maybe it is to cold here and they aren't out yet.

Latest posts