• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Time for accountability

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Tam

Reaction score
Taken from the mail bag of Cow Calf Weekly

It's Time For R-CALF To Explain Itself
I feel you missed the point in the article, "Keeping Case No. 2 In Perspective," in the June 24 special issue of BEEF Cow-Calf Weekly. You say: "Now is not the time to use this issue to... try to strengthen or weaken the position of any group within the beef industry." Having sat through an R-CALF fundraiser highlighted by their so-called "expert" veterinarian, I can tell you unequivocally that now is the time to ask R-CALF, "What now?" and demand some accountability for the fear-mongering they've fostered.

I listened to this R-CALF veterinarian talk of the horrors of death from BSE; the disgusting, debilitating wasting of the brain; the ease of transmission from meat to humans; the infectiousness of the disease -- possibly being spread through urine; and the substantial risk of death from eating beef from countries with BSE. All this was done in an attempt to further R-CALF's position of a closed Canadian border.

The public needs an explanation from R-CALF on how it plans to undo the damage it's done now that we have a domestic case of BSE.

I sent Leo McDonnell (R-CALF founder and president) an e-mail asking for some accountability. He sent me back an email saying I was the hypocrite along with an article about how the futures markets actually went up Monday after the BSE announcement over the weekend -- like R-CALF had something to do with it! The markets are strong despite R-CALF's past rhetoric, not because of it.
Nathan Sanko
Back 2 Basics Beef
Pittsburg, KS

YES it is time for accountability isn't it. What do you R-CALFers say? Are you going to just let Leo slink out the back door without making him explain the agenda of R-CALF and how it has changed? :x

Yeh Leo, the reason the futures market went up on Monday is because NCBA and USDA have more credibility with the media than your organization does.

Had they quoted you and your expert vet on the safety of Canadian beef, surely they would be smart enough to realize those standards should apply to our beef as well since the BSE precautionary measures of both countries are exactly the same.

What about Dennis McDonald's comments in ND that if we have a domestic case of BSE we should quit processing slaughter cows?

Are the R-CULT members going to give up their slaughter cows or will they be buying them in Canada instead?

There's only one hypocritical organization in the U.S. Leo and that is the organzation that says that we have the safest beef in the world one day and the next day says USDA doesn't care about food safety and hasn't gone far enough to assure the safety of our beef.

You are the hypocrite Leo, only you!

~SH~

SH "There's only one hypocritical organization in the U.S. Leo and that is the organzation that says that we have the safest beef in the world one day and the next day says USDA doesn't care about food safety and hasn't gone far enough to assure the safety of our beef."

Seems to me Phyllis Fong also said the USDA didn't go far enough. Whatever happened to that deal, SH?

Tam said:
Taken from the mail bag of Cow Calf Weekly

I sent Leo McDonnell (R-CALF founder and president) an e-mail asking for some accountability. He sent me back an email saying I was the hypocrite along with an article about how the futures markets actually went up Monday after the BSE announcement over the weekend -- like R-CALF had something to do with it! The markets are strong despite R-CALF's past rhetoric, not because of it.
Nathan Sanko
Back 2 Basics Beef
Pittsburg, KS

YES it is time for accountability isn't it. What do you R-CALFers say? Are you going to just let Leo slink out the back door without making him explain the agenda of R-CALF and how it has changed? :x[/quote]

What can they say? The words were spoken by "Leo the Lyin'" . . . :lol:

Boy ,the Lobbyists and Status quo is out tonight.Wonder whats got under Tam an SH or are they just working overtime.

divert and distract Porker don't let the topic stay on topic for more than two posts.

Tam said:
divert and distract Porker don't let the topic stay on topic for more than two posts.

They have medicine for your problem Tam. Down here it's called Valium.

Mike said:
Tam said:

They have medicine for your problem Tam. Down here it's called Valium.

Another divertion to the topic :) will R-CALF ever be held accountable for their statements that this letter writer said he witness. :???: Not by Porker and Mike they would rather divert and discredit, typical R-CALF behavior. :wink:

Tam, if the border now opens, does that not strenghten the case that Fair trade has going?

Tam...Another divertion to the topic will R-CALF ever be held accountable for their statements that this letter writer said he witnessed.

Tam I was at the meeting Mr. Sanko was at and what he states in his letter is a lie. The veterinerian he is talking about is Dr. Max Thornsberry. Why don't you write him and get his words, not just take it for granted what someone says is true? I'll furnish an e-mail address to him if you are interested in the truth.

At least R-Calf is now starting to admit that their targeting of Canadian producers is for economic reasons rather than health.

BACK on March 8th Dr.Thorsberry had these remarks
Dr. Max Thornsberry, a Missouri veterinarian and president of the Missouri Stockgrowers Association, agrees with others that the USDA is rushing to reopen the border. He disagrees with the USDA's insistence that the period since trade was shut down has been enough to ensure an absence of BSE-infected animals, and as an affiliate with R-CALF USA is glad for the injunction put forth by Judge Cebull.

"The prions that cause BSE are basically indestructible," Thornsberry said. "Research has determined that prions buried for three years are still capable of causing disease when injected into laboratory animals. Cattle with BSE shed these prions in their feces, urine, nasal discharges, saliva and reproductive discharges, and these can easily contaminate soil in paddocks, lots, feeding pens and pastures."

With the incubation period of the disease being as slow as it is, Thornsberry believes there is still a high possibility of infected animals that have not yet become symptomatic. He believes these animals, if brought across the border, could pose a health risk to other livestock, and consumers.

According to a news release by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency on Feb. 11, it is "not likely that the (1997) feed ban was immediately adopted uniformly across the feed industry" and "the detection of an affected animal born after the feed ban was not unexpected".

The ban was put in place to eliminate the use of bovine meat and bone meal as feed for cattle -- feed that contains SRM's (specified risk materials). These are materials, including brain and spinal tissue and tongues, that are potentially BSE-positive. The CFIA news release said these prohibited materials would have been purged from the ruminant feed system as new operating processes were implemented and refined.

Thornsberry said that during this process, it is likely that BSE-positive materials lingered and found their way into non-infected animals.

He added that he is not against reopening the U.S./Canada border for cattle trade -- he just hopes the timing is right, and the preliminary injunction set forth by Cebull could allow for just that.

"Dr. Stanley Pruisner with the University of California in San Francisco was the first to discover BSE," Thornsberry said. "And he believes that within the next year or so he will have developed a blood test for live animals that will determine if they are infected or not."

The current method of determining whether or not an animal has the disease is to test samples of brain tissue after the animal has been slaughtered or destroyed.

"Knowing this, the USDA should not be willing to accept a minimal risk trade as they have said they will do," Thornsberry said. "When this test is available, it would become a zero risk trade."

Thornsberry went on to tell the News-Star that the test, once available, would probably cost no more than $20 per head.

"The USDA presented politically-based facts, while R-CALF USA presented scientifically-based facts," Thornsberry said of the organization's efforts to have the reopening postponed. "Thank goodness science won."

I think the medicine for Tam's problem is the truth seems it's not available in the r-calf medicine bag of lies and innuendos. Two generations from now people will be looking at a little kids in Montana and shaking there heads-'Poor little guy never had a chance-his daddy was an r-calfer.'

PORKER said:
BACK on March 8th Dr.Thorsberry had these remarks
Dr. Max Thornsberry, a Missouri veterinarian and president of the Missouri Stockgrowers Association, agrees with others that the USDA is rushing to reopen the border. He disagrees with the USDA's insistence that the period since trade was shut down has been enough to ensure an absence of BSE-infected animals, and as an affiliate with R-CALF USA is glad for the injunction put forth by Judge Cebull.

"The prions that cause BSE are basically indestructible," Thornsberry said. "Research has determined that prions buried for three years are still capable of causing disease when injected into laboratory animals. Cattle with BSE shed these prions in their feces, urine, nasal discharges, saliva and reproductive discharges, and these can easily contaminate soil in paddocks, lots, feeding pens and pastures."

With the incubation period of the disease being as slow as it is, Thornsberry believes there is still a high possibility of infected animals that have not yet become symptomatic. He believes these animals, if brought across the border, could pose a health risk to other livestock, and consumers.

According to a news release by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency on Feb. 11, it is "not likely that the (1997) feed ban was immediately adopted uniformly across the feed industry" and "the detection of an affected animal born after the feed ban was not unexpected".

The ban was put in place to eliminate the use of bovine meat and bone meal as feed for cattle -- feed that contains SRM's (specified risk materials). These are materials, including brain and spinal tissue and tongues, that are potentially BSE-positive. The CFIA news release said these prohibited materials would have been purged from the ruminant feed system as new operating processes were implemented and refined.

Thornsberry said that during this process, it is likely that BSE-positive materials lingered and found their way into non-infected animals.

He added that he is not against reopening the U.S./Canada border for cattle trade -- he just hopes the timing is right, and the preliminary injunction set forth by Cebull could allow for just that.

"Dr. Stanley Pruisner with the University of California in San Francisco was the first to discover BSE," Thornsberry said. "And he believes that within the next year or so he will have developed a blood test for live animals that will determine if they are infected or not."

The current method of determining whether or not an animal has the disease is to test samples of brain tissue after the animal has been slaughtered or destroyed.

"Knowing this, the USDA should not be willing to accept a minimal risk trade as they have said they will do," Thornsberry said. "When this test is available, it would become a zero risk trade."

Thornsberry went on to tell the News-Star that the test, once available, would probably cost no more than $20 per head.

"The USDA presented politically-based facts, while R-CALF USA presented scientifically-based facts," Thornsberry said of the organization's efforts to have the reopening postponed. "Thank goodness science won."
Alot has changed since Dr. Thornsbury made those remarks. I do agree with this
The timing is absolutely right for the appeals hearings in that the US has finally identified a home grown case and now R-Calf is fessing up that their science-based "facts" are nothing more than financially driven protectionism.

Sandman: "Seems to me Phyllis Fong also said the USDA didn't go far enough. Whatever happened to that deal, SH?"

A former "inconclusive" became a "weak positive" with an animal that never entered the food chain. The CME yawned and life goes on.

Phyliss Fong proved that R-CULT lied when they said BSE was a Canadian problem.

Why isn't R-CALF on Good Morning America warning our citizens that eating contaminated beef could lead to contracting vCJD?? Huh Sandhusker? Why aren't they taking adds out in the Washington Post now huh Sandhusker? Why aren't they banning the slaughtering of cull cows like Dennis McDonald advocated huh Sandhusker?

You just keep supporting that lying deceptive outfit. You fit right in. I couldn't be more proud not to be a member of R-CULT.

~SH~

Quote- "The prions that cause BSE are basically indestructible," Thornsberry said. "Research has determined that prions buried for three years are still capable of causing disease when injected into laboratory animals. Cattle with BSE shed these prions in their feces, urine, nasal discharges, saliva and reproductive discharges, and these can easily contaminate soil in paddocks, lots, feeding pens and pastures."

HMMMMMM???? If these statements are true.....then......

1) Why isn't there a simple urine test for BSE if prions are PRESENT and DETECTABLE in urine????
2) Why is it extremely rare for herdmates of known BSE infected cattle to also be infected??? After all, according to Dr.Thornsberry, the BSE agent can be transmitted through various bodily fluids and remain viable in the soil for three years!!!!!!!?? Why would it not be transmitted to herdmates??
3) Is this Dr.Thornsberry a REAL veterinarian???

Catching up on some the posts. I must have missed something here though?
Start reading, thinking yes certain people and organizations should be held accountable for the back door tactics/words. Which should be something everyone could agree on, even here. I know all about the emotion and hurt feelings regarding this subject and often wonder if it can ever be reversed/mended.
Sometimes there is such a thing as black and white with no greys.
Take away who is reaping what at some one else's expense and who is frosting who's butt. The truth/accountability for the less then steller actions of some would be well should be wanted by all.
Now not saying it would change anything...heaven forbid.
Then comes words such as lobbyists, status qoa. People need some meds and having hot flashes... Now my hang over is cleared and still scratching my head...What the ????? What warrants those comments? seriously not beening a (donkey here)
Or do I say oops and sorry talking out my ummm ear here.

Thornsbury:

With the incubation period of the disease being as slow as it is, Thornsberry believes there is still a high possibility of infected animals that have not yet become symptomatic. He believes these animals, if brought across the border, could pose a health risk to other livestock, and consumers

Let's see if RCALF presents these facts again on July 23rd.

Why isn't R-CALF on Good Morning America warning our citizens that eating contaminated beef could lead to contracting vCJD?? Huh Sandhusker? Why aren't they taking adds out in the Washington Post now huh Sandhusker? Why aren't they banning the slaughtering of cull cows like Dennis McDonald advocated huh Sandhusker

I guess anybody could take an ad now and quote RCALF! But like RCALF, nobody would be as silly as to try to hurt the beef industry.

2) Why is it extremely rare for herdmates of known BSE infected cattle to also be infected??? After all, according to Dr.Thornsberry, the BSE agent can be transmitted through various bodily fluids and remain viable in the soil for three years!!!!!!!?? Why would it not be transmitted to herdmates??

TimH, not only for that reason, but weren't the herd mates eating the same feedstuffs?

Latest posts