• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Tires?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

3 M L & C

Reaction score
I have a 4 door dodge diesel with a hydrabed on it. Does any one have any suggestions on tires that will last on a heavy pickup like that. I have tried 3 different ones and each have only lasted about 20,000 miles. I don't run tires until there completly bald, if they don't have some grip on them I can't get down the road here if it rains 20 hundreths. The weight on this pickup just chews up the tires.

It's pretty hard to beat the classic Toyo M55 for durability. They do cost $$$, but IMO still one of the best tires out there.

We have gone to running Bridgestone Dueler. Tried about everything else, and we get enough extra miles out of them to make up the difference in initial cost.

John SD said:
It's pretty hard to beat the classic Toyo M55 for durability. They do cost $$$, but IMO still one of the best tires out there.

How long do they last? They look pretty good. They are a bit pricey, but worth it if they last. I have some goodyear wrangler on there now they cost moret than those toyo, and I'm not impressed with them. I love firestone tires on our tractors, but their vehicle tires suck.

floyd said:
hankook.

Yup, made in china.

I think they're still made in Korea. I've had somoe pretty good Hankooks, can't remember what they called the ones I had on my dually but they lasted well. Nice thing about Hankook is they stand behind their warranty. If the tire has some miles on it and is ruined they'll just take a tread measurement and prorate your new tire.

Got some Kumhos on my 550 that are standing up real well. I love the Firestone Transforces on my 250. Just put 4 Firestone Destination LE 2's on our Navigator...They sure ride real nice.

Maybe 3M should look into some bias tires? Or some Michelins?

The last tire I would put on anything of mine is Continental/General.

I have had the trasnforce. They ride good, but I didn't like the wear and they didn't grip as good as I thought. My dad has them on two pickups he like's them though. Had some of those Destinations on our last suv, they were good, but no grip. Guess they are not made for grip to much anyway so shouldn't complain about them I guess.

I run Yokohama geolanders 10 ply on my dodge. These desert roads ore mostly sharp rocks held in place by slightly less sharp rocks. I cant tell ya how they'd do down the highway regularly but i sure like em' on the desert.

We aren't a fan of Goodyear tires, BUT....the Goodyear Armours came
highly recommended to us so we bought them. 60,000 miles later and
they are still going. We've never seen a tire wear like they have. They
cost $300 a tire at the time and have gone up some. We priced them
a month or so ago because we intend to buy another set.

It has to say ARMOUR to be the same Goodyear tire.

I think our daughter has had good look with Cooper, but I don't know
which exact tire she buys. Some tires are pure junk with a high price tag.

Those Goodyear Armours are now about the highest price tires you can buy now. The other day I looked at Tirebuyer.com and they were over 400 for a 235 85 16. I think I will find something a little more reasonable in price. hope this thread yields some answers.

Larrry said:
Those Goodyear Armours are now about the highest price tires you can buy now. The other day I looked at Tirebuyer.com and they were over 400 for a 235 85 16. I think I will find something a little more reasonable in price. hope this thread yields some answers.

Larry, we have encountered that too, but we found it pays to shop around a bit. Now you have me curious. I'm going to call and price them where we
priced them before. They were more than $300/tire but not $400/tire. :shock: YIKES!!

3 M L & C said:
I have a 4 door dodge diesel with a hydrabed on it. Does any one have any suggestions on tires that will last on a heavy pickup like that. I have tried 3 different ones and each have only lasted about 20,000 miles. I don't run tires until there completly bald, if they don't have some grip on them I can't get down the road here if it rains 20 hundreths. The weight on this pickup just chews up the tires.

Lucky man, my feed truck is doing good to get 10,000 miles on a set. None last here in all the gravel roads we have..

I've run Bridgestone Darvis and Westlake from China and neither one will run many miles on the back of my 98 Dodge with the 20 ft stock trailer. :?

My son like Yokohama Geolanders.

Ya I look on tire rack, but I don't think any of those people know what a heavy work pickup is. I have those Goodyear armour on my pickup now not worth the money if you drive gravel roads. Maybe on the highway. They had a nice shoulder on them when new but that didn't last long. The knot heads at the county don't train a grader man and the guy by my house has the road so crowned up you need a bit of a sharp edge tire to pull back to the center of the road even after a small shower. Those Toyo m55 kind of interest me. I guess if I can't get the mileage out of the tires i have been using I might as well run some aggressive ones and plan on new tires every year.

Latest posts