• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Tony Dean apologizes?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Liberty Belle

Reaction score
I don't know... does this sound like an apology to you?

About that State Rep. Olson

I am amused Betty Olson, a state rep from Prairie City, spends so much time observing me.

I made an error in a story I wrote for the SF ARgus Leader, when I attributed her sponsorship of some horrendous anti-sportsman legislation. I mistakenly took her to task for stuff she'd actually authored a year earlier.

Oh well, her legislation was stupid then and remains so.

However, her support and pushing of a proposed law that would require the state to reimburse motorists for collisions with deer takes the cake for absurdity.

Here's a woman who spearheaded the failed, anti-hunter SD Lockout, now saying there are too many deer, and it's the states fault.

Betty isn't stupid, but she just doesn't get it, and she doesn't understand the fact South Dakotans tend to see right through her radicalism.

She takes advantage of everything I pen, mostly out of context, to suggest I am anti-ranching. She does this regularly on the Ranchers.net website. I visit the site on occasion and have discovered that ranchers elsewhere, wonder why SD ranchers take such a dim view of hunters and the GFP. Truth is, they do not represent all ranchers, and as is the case with nearly all websites, they are the radicals who post incessantly, under the cloak of anonymity.

Ranchers have a tough go of it these days following almost a decade of drought. I spent a day last week with one, who has graciously given me permission to hunt turkeys on his ranch, and his fears are real.

He needs to generate additional cash flow to keep his ranch solvent, and is leaning toward commercializing deer hunting on his land. I have no problem with that, other than it tends to shut out folks without the means to pay big fees.

Anyway, Betty's continual attacks on me on the Ranchers.net website are a source of amusement for yours truly. I suspect they mean I have finally gotten her goat. Good, that's what I intended to do.

Moreover, I think Betty is learning, albeit slowly, that her radical ideas haven't played well in the legislature.

And yes, her ideas tend toward the radical side.

I have consistently called the SD Lockout a "failed" effort.

As evidence, in response to claims that the Lockout has ended big game hunting in Harding County, I point out that there is considerable high quality public land available there, and the GFP has added thousands of acres of Walk In land in that county. However, Betty continues to crow about the success of the lockout. She's wrong. It's been a failure.

What that says, eloquently, is that not all ranchers agree with her thinking. Especially those who have participated in the walk in program.

And Betty has no response to that. (and he's not even kidding!?!) :twisted:

Perhaps the good folks in her legislative district will eventually come to the conclusion that she may talk big, but actually delivers little.

April 13, 2008

http://www.tonydean.com/issues2.html?sectionid=9745

I applaud your effort Liberty Belle, and yes, it is the state's fault there are too many deer, and they need to start paying for it.

Ya, dont let people hunt, then complain :twisted: :mad:
You need to try to take care of the problem yourself. If your not allowing reasonable hunting, your the problem!
Maybe someone should introduce some legislation that says if you dont allow hunting and i hit a deer on a road next to your land, you pay $200

Ya, dont let people hunt, then complain
You need to try to take care of the problem yourself. If your not allowing reasonable hunting, your the problem!

For your information Southdakotahunter, I have never posted my land, and I probably never will. As long as anyone asks, I allow them to hunt.

Maybe someone should introduce some legislation that says if you dont allow hunting and i hit a deer on a road next to your land, you pay $200

I agree, if landowners have fee hunting, they should have to contribute something, because they are part of the problem. They also should have to pay for their own "deer fences" instead of having the G&F pay for them.

Well you do have to admit it is pretty far fetching Legislation. I disagree with you Frank I THINK THE HUNTERS ARE HAPPY TO HELP WITH FENCING, AND PROTECTING STORED FEED, BUT THEY SHOULD ALSO expect some sort of access to shoot deeror what ever critter is causing the problems. IF FEE HUNTING IS INVOLVED THEN i WOULD SAY NO TO FENCING AND PUBLIC HELP. iT IS A FACT THOUGH WHEN THERE IS little or no access to harvest deer or other stuff you will have an over population and the landowner should shoulder the burden.
It is the two extremes that make all the noise, the rest of us get along pretty good........

publichunter said:
Well you do have to admit it is pretty far fetching Legislation. I disagree with you Frank I THINK THE HUNTERS ARE HAPPY TO HELP WITH FENCING, AND PROTECTING STORED FEED, BUT THEY SHOULD ALSO expect some sort of access to shoot deeror what ever critter is causing the problems. IF FEE HUNTING IS INVOLVED THEN i WOULD SAY NO TO FENCING AND PUBLIC HELP. iT IS A FACT THOUGH WHEN THERE IS little or no access to harvest deer or other stuff you will have an over population and the landowner should shoulder the burden.
It is the two extremes that make all the noise, the rest of us get along pretty good........

publichunter, I think we're saying the same thing. The "deer fences" I am talking about are 10' tall and are "given" to landowners with depredation problems. Most landowners with depredation problems (at least around here) are fee hunting only, no public access of any kind, that's wrong.

It is far fetching legislation, but it certainly woke up the Game & Fish, not only in SD, but other states as well. Now they might re-evaluate the licensing.

Yes we are talking abourt the same fencing. It is to bad that some in your area take advantage of the fencing and then dont allow hunting or charge for it and only shoot the big horns......
I think things can happen with working the Gf&p and not come to meetings with a chip and lines in the sand drawn before any talking is done.

If the gfp puts up the high fences and you dont allow hunting, reasonable hunting im talking, not the fee stuff, then the landowner will get a bill. There was a case,,,,i believe in Faulk county, but not for sure, where that exact thing happend.

LB where does he say he is apologizing to you?
I guess you do watch what he prints on his website, you have always acted like you didnt or it didnt matter what he said..
He doesnt speak for me nor are my beliefs are like his, but just as you he has the right to say what he wants, as you and I do, even though we rarely agree.lol

Southdakotahunter said:
If the gfp puts up the high fences and you dont allow hunting, reasonable hunting im talking, not the fee stuff, then the landowner will get a bill. There was a case,,,,i believe in Faulk county, but not for sure, where that exact thing happend.

That's awesome!
So how did this guy in Faulk Co. get caught? I'm sure GFP didn't check up on him, so it would've had to been a hunter or adjacent landowner.

Southdakotahunter said:
Ya, dont let people hunt, then complain :twisted: :mad:
It may interest you to know that the ½ mile stretch of land between my friend's ranch and his church had 18 dead deer and neither my friend nor any of his neighbors are in the lockout. How do you explain GF&P's management practices there?

publichunter said:
I can only speak for us, but the only time our hunters ever showed up was on opening day and not one of them ever offered to help put up fence, let alone chip in to help pay for the posts and wire. Do you?

publichunter said:
Yes we are talking abourt the same fencing. It is to bad that some in your area take advantage of the fencing and then dont allow hunting or charge for it and only shoot the big horns......
I think things can happen with working the Gf&p and not come to meetings with a chip and lines in the sand drawn before any talking is done.
If you're talking about me and our ranch, we have never asked for or received any fencing or any help with deer depredation from GF&P, not one thin dime in over a century that we allowed everyone to hunt for free and dug into our own pockets to pay for the feed and the damage the public's wildlife did to our grass, our hay, our fences and our vehicles. When are you going to send us a check for your share of the costs?

I'm curious, did you ever attend any of those public meetings? I did and if you were there , you'd know that it wasn't landowners that refused to work with GF&P, it was the other way around and nothing has changed, in spite of all their talk about "communication".

publichunter said:
LB where does he say he is apologizing to you?
I guess you do watch what he prints on his website, you have always acted like you didnt or it didnt matter what he said..
He doesnt speak for me nor are my beliefs are like his, but just as you he has the right to say what he wants, as you and I do, even though we rarely agree.lol
Do you understand sarcasm? This was a response to my telling Tony Dean on another website that I was disappointed that he wasn't man enough to apologize for writing things that weren't true. I read his article carefully and I still don't think he's apologizing for what he wrote, do you?

[/quote]
It may interest you to know that the ½ mile stretch of land between my friend's ranch and his church had 18 dead deer and neither my friend nor any of his neighbors are in the lockout. How do you explain GF&P's management practices there?

quote]

How many of those deer were run over during the hunting season? Deer are going to go to where they are protected and if there is no hunting in an area, they will hide out there until its safe, then head back out. What do you think the gfp should do? Issue licenses on a mile by mile basis? Last i looked there were left over licenses for your county during the rifle season. Im sure the gfp could issue more licenses, but why if they cant sell what they have offered?

Southdakotahunter said:
How many of those deer were run over during the hunting season? Deer are going to go to where they are protected and if there is no hunting in an area, they will hide out there until its safe, then head back out. What do you think the gfp should do? Issue licenses on a mile by mile basis? Last i looked there were left over licenses for your county during the rifle season. Im sure the gfp could issue more licenses, but why if they cant sell what they have offered?
How should I know how many were run over during hunting season? I doubt either the deer or the drivers cared if it was during the season or not. The friend I mentioned doesn't live in this county, in fact they ranch almost eighty miles from us and almost that far from anyone in the lockout. Do you suppose the deer travel that far just to cross the road in front of a car, or do you suppose they live in the area where they met their demise year around?

If GF&P has licenses left over they should either thin the deer herd themselves like they do in Rapid City, Pierre and other cities, or they should give some of those unsold licenses to the landowners to give to anyone willing to shoot does on their land. Seems like you were one of the folks that had a problem with landowners getting transferable licenses though, weren't you?

Liberty Belle said:
If GF&P has licenses left over they should either thin the deer herd themselves like they do in Rapid City, Pierre and other cities, or they should give some of those unsold licenses to the landowners to give to anyone willing to shoot does on their land. Seems like you were one of the folks that had a problem with landowners getting transferable licenses though, weren't you?

I can agree with you 100% on that. But why do you not bring things like this up in pierre?? :?

I think you would garner A LOT of backing if GF&P was going to hand out doe tags to landowers!!! The thing I saw wrong with the last one was "Any Deer" tags which we all know means horns and $$$$$

I agree with you also LB. Your the one who can bring legislation. I would be happy to see a bill with just what you suggested. THe ball is now in your court LB. THe only problem i could see is people not paying for the doe tags, and waiting until they are given to the landowner. I dont know how they will be able to control that.

I will tell you this. I know this is not 80 miles apart, however, i used to hunt charles mix county. Lake Andes is a game refuge. One time hunting we were on a hillside and watched a hunting party kick a buck out of some cover. We were able to watch that deer travel about 4 miles, not stopping even 1x for a breath, and ran straight into the refuge. Deer know where they are safe. If they are not getting pressured in a certain area, they stay and they know where to go when they get pressured.

LB why should landowners get the left over tags? Why dont landowners offer their land to be open for hunting and I know sportsmen/women would take care of harvesting what needs to be done. No person deserves the special privilidge of deciding who gets to hunt the public's deer by the ability to issue licenses, this is the state's sole responsibilty.
Landowners have every right to regulate and aloow or disallow who they let to hunt on their land and that is their rights.
Announcing whose land is open to hunting and they welcome you, they could make their own rules as far as travel on their property, removal of downed deer ETC.
But the public's equitable chances of getting a tag must remain with the state in the lottery system or it just turns back into tags for cash.

About my previous post when I was talking about feed yrd fenceing. I in no way insinuated anything about you or your family, it is your own paranoia taking over.

P Joe said:
Liberty Belle said:

I can agree with you 100% on that. But why do you not bring things like this up in pierre?? :?

I think you would garner A LOT of backing if GF&P was going to hand out doe tags to landowers!!! The thing I saw wrong with the last one was "Any Deer" tags which we all know means horns and $$$$$

Southdakotahunter said:
I agree with you also LB. Your the one who can bring legislation. I would be happy to see a bill with just what you suggested. THe ball is now in your court LB. THe only problem i could see is people not paying for the doe tags, and waiting until they are given to the landowner. I dont know how they will be able to control that.

I will tell you this. I know this is not 80 miles apart, however, i used to hunt charles mix county. Lake Andes is a game refuge. One time hunting we were on a hillside and watched a hunting party kick a buck out of some cover. We were able to watch that deer travel about 4 miles, not stopping even 1x for a breath, and ran straight into the refuge. Deer know where they are safe. If they are not getting pressured in a certain area, they stay and they know where to go when they get pressured.
This is great! Both P Joe and Southdakotahunter agree with something I said!! Will wonders never cease?

publichunter said:
LB why should landowners get the left over tags? Why dont landowners offer their land to be open for hunting and I know sportsmen/women would take care of harvesting what needs to be done. No person deserves the special privilidge of deciding who gets to hunt the public's deer by the ability to issue licenses, this is the state's sole responsibilty.
Landowners have every right to regulate and aloow or disallow who they let to hunt on their land and that is their rights.
Announcing whose land is open to hunting and they welcome you, they could make their own rules as far as travel on their property, removal of downed deer ETC.
But the public's equitable chances of getting a tag must remain with the state in the lottery system or it just turns back into tags for cash.

About my previous post when I was talking about feed yrd fenceing. I in no way insinuated anything about you or your family, it is your own paranoia taking over.
Dang it, publichunter – I was getting this warm fuzzy feeling about east river hunters and you chime in and ruin it!

Heaven forbid the legislature should be presumptive enough to tell a state agency what to do!!! Where does the legislature get off ordering state employees around anyway? Evidently lawmakers need folks like you to point out our proper place in state government so we don't get to feeling like we have authority over the people who work for us.

I gather from your post that giving tags that no one wanted to landowners so they can thin out the deer population with no cost to the state would be a violation of the hunting code ethics or something. Is that written into the state constitution and I missed it?

How would you solve the over-population of deer? Have GF&P hire sharpshooters to thin the herds using "sportsmen dollars" to pay for it? Wouldn't it be cheaper and more efficient all the way around to give those tags to landowners willing to do the job for nothing?

I guess the pain of giving anything to the folks who raise the wildlife at their own expense is just too much for you to handle, huh? Or am I being paranoid again?

Are you reading this Big Muddy? Does publichunter's post answer any of those questions you had about landowners' problems with South Dakota hunters?

LB if you knew the law as well as you profess you do. Wildlife is held in the public trust by our Constituition here in South Dakota which states that they will be maintained for the public by the state, for the reason we dont go back to landowners who think they are the Lords and only hunt game for themselves, seeems to me someone might of faught a war to get away from this type of government or life?

Secondly it is just as inexpensive to tthe state to have landowners let them know that they welcome hunters and have a problem, what is the matter with this scenario? other than the landowners dont control the tags.
The answer to over population is really easy LB. Open the land up and the hunters will come.

The landowners are not giving up any control over who is on their land they still keep that say so what wrong with this idea LB? cant sell the tags?

publichunter said:
LB if you knew the law as well as you profess you do. Wildlife is held in the public trust by our Constituition here in South Dakota which states that they will be maintained for the public by the state, for the reason we dont go back to landowners who think they are the Lords and only hunt game for themselves, seeems to me someone might of faught a war to get away from this type of government or life?
Wow! Where should I even start with this ignorant, uninformed drivel? You're a constitutional scholar now?

Since you are so well versed on the SD Constitution, please tell us where it says what you claim. I've never seen even a reference to wildlife in either the SD Constitution or the US Constitution and I've read them both repeatedly. I suggest you try reading them since your education has been seriously lacking.
publichunter said:
Secondly it is just as inexpensive to tthe state to have landowners let them know that they welcome hunters and have a problem, what is the matter with this scenario? other than the landowners dont control the tags.
The answer to over population is really easy LB. Open the land up and the hunters will come.
I guess you missed the whole issue of Open Fields vs. property rights, huh?

publichunter said:
The landowners are not giving up any control over who is on their land they still keep that say so what wrong with this idea LB? cant sell the tags?
When a hunter enters private property, GF&P claims to have the right to come onto that private property without either the landowners' knowledge or consent to check to see if hunters are obeying the law.

Let me get this straight – GF&P has the right to violate MY property rights to make sure YOU are following the law?

You are evidently someone who thinks landowners in South Dakota are stupid enough to go along with having our rights violated just so we can enjoy the pleasure of your company. I don't think so…

Latest posts