• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Tool from the past

Help Support Ranchers.net:

coyote

Reaction score
As I was breaking up some grass today I found this tool that was used by a previous people to help them make a living from the land.
I have found a few of these hammer heads over the years , but never one like this, magnetic. Could it be a Meteorite hammerhead?
Bklackpups016.jpg

Big Muddy rancher said:
The more important question is.

What were you doing breaking up grass? :wink: :)

It's catching on . . . :lol:

And that tool is way beyond cool! I wonder how one would go about discovering its "circa"?

burnt said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
The more important question is.

What were you doing breaking up grass? :wink: :)

It's catching on . . . :lol:

And that tool is way beyond cool! I wonder how one would go about discovering its "circa"?

Ya that old tame hay stands do need "rejuvenating" once in a while.
Have you ever sprayed the grass out?

Burnt you need a really old bar code scanner to check the Best Before date. :D :D

BMR do you ever give your native grass total rest for a year. We reversed the usual rotation here so might have a chance to sit the normal calving field for awhile.

Northern Rancher said:
BMR do you ever give your native grass total rest for a year. We reversed the usual rotation here so might have a chance to sit the normal calving field for awhile.

The three breeding pastures I use get graze once in three years.

The north end is used only dormant season. after Sept 15 until winter chases us out.
The other pastures are used a little more because of where they are and our poor little calving pasture gets over used because not only it's used in the spring but coming and going to the rest of the ranch.Our head quarters are on the very south so it makes it hard to go somewhere else to calve.

coyote said:
As I was breaking up some grass today I found this tool that was used by a previous people to help them make a living from the land.
I have found a few of these hammer heads over the years , but never one like this, magnetic. Could it be a Meteorite hammerhead?

Congratulations! That's always exciting. Thanks for showing us!

I have an arrowhead collection which were all found on this place or very close by. We don't find hammerheads like you have there. We mostly find projectile points, scrapers or the occasional knife, etc.

What do you suppose they used the hammers for up in your area?

As far as it being magnetic, I wouldn't have a clue about that. Are meteorites magnetic? If so, my guess is it was simply accidental that they found and used that stone. Otherwise, wouldn't they have had knowledge of steel and used that instead of stone?

This makes me realize that I need to get out and do my annual arrowhead hunt. We find our artifacts in places where the wind has blown the top soil away, forming blowouts. Some places produce something nearly every year. Others never do. Each year, I like to check my favorite spots after the wind has done it's damage, but before cattle are turned out and do theirs by tromping through them. If I'm lucky, I might find as many as a half dozen decent points each year or maybe none.

I like to think that the best places for finding arrowheads in this area, were where they hid and waited for game to come drink. Any arrows that missed ended up in the water where they'd be lost. After perhaps hundreds of years, there would be a large number of points in a relatively small area. 'Just my own opinion, not a scientific theory!

I'm fairly mechanical and like looking at old tools and figgering out what they were used for.

I've never been convinced them things are hammers anyhow. Makes a pretty awkward hammer and kinda heavy for a nomadic people to pack around.

I've been told they were put on kinda like half a hobble---tie them to one leg with a couple feet of slack----your horse could graze but would either step on it or get whacked if it tried to run. And maybe they left them @ places they camped quite often----a fair amount of them around. About every one i've ever seen, the groove is quite well done, symettrical and goes all the way around. I'd like to see them do that.

for the folks like JF Ranch,,if u are ever near the branson ,mo area,,preferably between Branson,mo and Harrison, ar give me a shout.

the "Trail of Tears" went thru this area.lots of artifacts.I know of 2 old indian towns or camps.the heavy rains and floods will bring more to the surface.there have been lots of artifacts found in this region.

I guess this is a third-hand story, but a friend of ours told me that one of his neighbors in the Rosebud, Tx area was building fence back in the 50's and dug into a human skeleton. He called the Sherrif out and they took the skeleton away. They got back to him a month or so later and told him it was the skeleton of a white man that had his skull caved in by a tomahawk probably a hundred years before he un-earthed it. :shock:

It could have iron ore in it I find a few stone here that are magnetic , they are all kind of a rusty blue color . But your rock is a different color it looks from here anyway .

Very cool artefact. It was the head of a war club. This a lava rock and would have become magnetized while it was cooling.

That is very cool! Just be a little careful who you tell. I have some recent experience with "Heritage Branch" and they may be looking to offer you some "help" looking for more and determining who "owns" what you found.
Its wrong - just a heads up.

gomez I put that rock back where I found it , but I forgot where that was now.
I was wondering about that also gomez. Lets here your story.
I wonder if it is okay for North American Natives living north of the 49th to sell such artifacts. I see in the USA people are offering forsale Indian artifacts, is it legal there?

Whitewing , it is about the size of a grapefruit.

Coyote, no real conflict story to share. There is alot of development taking place all around the ranch and by association with this I fiqured out I will be keeping my distance and any any of my "discoveries" low key. I will be doing my part to not inadvertantly damage and preserve areas that maybe of "cultural or historical significance" or "areas of a special interest" on my own without any coaching. The last thing I want is a beaucrat telling me how I will manage the native prairie pasture or where I can and cannot graze, put fences, cultivate, etc. The worst would be a group of wanna be archeologists from the city thinking they are "entitled" to view an area on "my" property and having to have the debate if it is "everyones property" or mine. (needless to say all the damage and garbage leave behind in their swath)

To me its kinda like hunters (only way worse and more powerful) who think they are "entitled" to hunt where ever they want and its my responsibilty to tell them they need permision or can't and I am the sob for not letting them tear up native prairie with a 4 x4 and pickup their Tim Hortons cups and other garbage for FREE. The FREE part well that another issue. Blood pressure is rising........

here is a link for your information: There is some teeth ($) to the legislation.
http://www.tpcs.gov.sk.ca/Protection

I am so glad you put that "rock" back where you found it, too bad about the memory..... I have the same issues. The good news it will be there for someone in the future to discover (and ponder its origin) and wont be on ebay.
:)

Latest posts