• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

tractor of choice???

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LRAF

Reaction score
What's your tractor of choice? And why? Some likem green some liken red,blue or orange? Why do you own the brand you do?

I think New Holland is the best total line of equipment out there, but when it comes to parts dependability and convienence, it is hard to beat Deere.

CaseIH Magnum 7200 series tractors are the best ones ever made. They may not have as many bells and whistles as their green counterparts and they sure don't cost as much as their green counterparts. But if you are looking for a bullet proof tractor these are the ones to buy. A Case mechanic told us once that the company got it "too right" with those tractors. The mechanics were setting around twiddling their thumbs all day so the company came out with the MX series. That fixed the problem of bored mechanics.

We currently have three Magnums. One 7220, and two 7250s. The 7220 is the tractor that is on the feeder wagon all winter and the sprayer all summer. It gets several hundred hours a year on it with virtually no repair bills. I usually keep it on a timer during the winter, but when I forget I don't have to pull out the ether until the temp drops below zero.

We have both red and green I have no use for the green ones they are always in the shop and they are very expensive to run. Ouur most reliable tractor is a case ih it gets used everyday for feeding never had any problems with it. Plus I like how much more visiblity the case has over the jeere

If you go to tractor house most tractors are priced close to the same in what ever hp catagory your looking at doesn't really matter what color they are. The ones that are priced lower there is a good reasone for that.

We run all deere machines 4650, 4440 and two 4430's. The two 4430 have alot of hours on them and still running good. You just cant beat the service that deere has for parts.

I've had the opportunity to run most makes of tractors and am still happy with Deere. Part of that decision has a lot to do with the dealer.

Nothing cuts hay like New Holland though. :wink:

I have a JD 6400 with close to 9000 hrs on it. Use it for feeding in winter, haying and brush hogging in summer, and it has been a very good and reliable tractor.

Dealer, Dealer, Dealer

Anyone can make a good tractor. Anything that is made will have problems at some point and you need a good dealer network to get you the needed parts and or service to keep going.

We farm over 2,300 acres of row crop as well as about 200 acres of hay and a small amount of custom work.

4010, 4020, 4630, (2) 4650s, all green and the newest are the 4650s which are 1985 models - - - all look like and run like new.

About 4 or 5 years ago we traded the 8630 for a 1985 9170 ( red ) and we have been very happy with it. We spend winter months on prevenitive maintance - - - 2 years ago a head gasket on one of the 4650s last year new exhaust manifold connections and adjusted the valves on the 9170 also replaced a brake line.

The 4020 and 4630 were repainted and a new cab interior on the 4630 two winters ago. New clutch on the 4630 about 4 years ago ( about 12,000 hours on the one we replaced )

We have about 10 John Deere dealers with in 30 miles and 1 International/Case and one New Holland so it goes back to Dealer, Dealer, Dealer!

Bought a case IH 5230 4x4 over a year ago . has a cummins engine 5.9 & a powershift tranny . feeds cattle everyday ,so far so good .Its 80 to 100 mile to a dealer from here except JD.

Dealer, Dealer, Dealer

Anyone can make a good tractor. Anything that is made will have problems at some point and you need a good dealer network to get you the needed parts and or service to keep going.

I agree, but in this area, if you run green, you get the "you get what you get, we can order parts for you and we will fix it when we get to it"

I have a red tractor. During the winter it quit moving right at the end of chores on a Thursday. I was also doing chores for a neighbor at the time, so I called up the shop and said that I needed my tractor hauled to town but I was good through the weekend because I could use the neighbors tractor to do both our chores. 2 hours later they unloaded a loaner tractor in my yard and took mine in. Monday afternoon they brought it back all fixed.

There are times when you can't put a price on service.

I don't own any name brand tractor's the feeding tractors here are both Belarus and have done their jobs for 15 years with minimal maintenance.I have a Allis Chalmers 7060 we use for planting and chopping corn and baleing hay.It gets used 4 months a year. I also have a 1805 Massey Ferguson Spring Tillage and packing silage pile are its job's. When the muds deep I use it for pulling loaded hay racks out to feed.

I thought I'd stepped up when I bought my John Deere Skidloader what a P.O.S. that has been and The Dealer SUCKS you could'nt give me another John Deere anything.

Land is my main goal so buying anymore iron is not a concern and as fuel prices increase I'd rather have extra grass I could graze late or early. Saveing on how much winter forage I need saves on fuel and tractor work.

tractor choice? one that runs, actually i get along good with old red, parts all over been around them all my life so i can kind of keepum runnin. don't really use one just hayin and feedin hay, if i farmed might havta re think the problem

If certain things come to pass for me this year, I'll need a bigger tractor. I use a JD and have been pleased with it from the standpoint of reliability, parts, and ease of repair.

My mechanic tells me the JD is the best of the best for all-day plowing. When it comes to all-round use and a need where I'd have to use the clutch a lot, he likes the Valtra.

We ran IHC tractors for years and they were fine. Then we bought our first front wheel assist tractor---used JD--it was super. Then we traded for
another JD FWA as we only have one tractor and it gets a lot of hours on it--
and now we traded that one for a 7520 JD FWA. We have had a couple
of small issues with it, but none with the first two JDs. In our area
most everyone runs JD. Excellent service out of Miles City, Glendive and
Bowman, ND.

I know that we would never go back to a tractor without FWA.
Maybe as a second tractor, but not the main one.

I also cant imagine going back to tractors without FWA.

There are many good tractors out there. Our old Belarus (cant remember the model number, 1999 model) was as cheap to run as they come when you figure the cost of buying it and repairs into the hours we put on it. I might fix the reverse gear that gave up on it and have it up and running again for this summer.
We have a FNH 8670 and while there may be tractors as good out there I doubt there are any better. The JD 7700 we have is also fine but crude in comparison to the 8670

Silver said:

There are many good tractors out there. Our old Belarus (cant remember the model number, 1999 model) was as cheap to run as they come when you figure the cost of buying it and repairs into the hours we put on it. I might fix the reverse gear that gave up on it and have it up and running again for this summer.
We have a FNH 8670 and while there may be tractors as good out there I doubt there are any better. The JD 7700 we have is also fine but crude in comparison to the 8670

the Genesis series New Holland is one that frightened JD. they sold a BUNCH of those tractors, and a lot of guys were trading in green to get the blue....

All we have is John Deere. Most of the parts I get are from rebuilded shops or tractor salvage yards. Its half the price of JD and still JD parts with a warranties. Our tractors has a little age (4020-1970, 2040-1977, and 2955-1987) on them so it also takes JD a little time to find them. Thats the reason I deal with this away.

jigs said:
Silver said:

the Genesis series New Holland is one that frightened JD. they sold a BUNCH of those tractors, and a lot of guys were trading in green to get the blue....

They are still available; Buhler Versatile bought the company when NH amalgamated with Case. We bought a used BV 2145 (same size as Silver's 8670). They are a heavy duty, reliable unit & it was considerably cheaper to buy than a comparable JD. Can get service either at NH or our Versatile dealer.

Latest posts