• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Traveling dogs-any thoughts on keeping them home?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
Our two dogs are starting to roam when we are gone. We have NEVER had this problem before. We have had as many as 3 female dogs at one time and they never thought of leaving home. Now we have a male (neutered) and a female (spayed). Yesterday they went to one neighbor's and he called us because he lives too close to the highway and he was afraid they might get out there and get run over; so I went a got them. Gee, they were glad for the ride home, happy as little larks.

Today we were in Miles City and the dogs went to another neighbors. He couldn't get us, so he put them in his stock trailer with some water. We are going to leave them there overnight, maybe all day tomorrow, and have him let them out and shoot a gun in the air. Maybe that will scare the dickens out of them. We will not tolerate dogs that do not stay home. We have never had to tie a dog or kennel one. So this is a first for us. Probably we will have to shut one up when we leave from now on.

They only leave when my husband goes somewhere and is not around outside. The rest of the time they stay right here.

Anyone have any good ideas other than what I posted?

You will not like my suggestion, but I'll bet if you got rid of the dog you like the least of the two, the other one would stay home. Our old dog, Scarlett, stays home and behaves when by herself. When our "grand-dog" comes out to spend a week-end, the two get into all kinds of trouble. They chase cattle and roam to neighbors' places. When Ringo isn't here, Scarlett behaves. Now, when Ringo comes, Ringo gets to pretend he is in jail and look through the bars of a horse trailer until his parents come back to get him. :x :???: :? :shock: :)

It seems that once they get a taste of runnimg, they are hard to cure. We had 2 or 3 dogs loose here for quite a few years, but then they got the urge to roam after some neighbours dogs came to visit when the one female was in heat.

Only thing that works is to keep one tied, so they have to take turns on the end of a doggie cable. We have made the mistake of trusting that loving, "I would never run away again" look in their beautiful brown eyes, only to have an angry neighbour call and say that "your dogs are over here chewing up our cats" or
chasing the deer. . . "

The funniest one was when our next door neighbour called and said that our Great Pyrenes was sitting at her front door and wouldn't let her out of her house. I had to believe her because I could hear our dog's big deep bark over the phone! Man, was the lady upset.

I said, "Anna, just think how secure your house is when you are away at work all day!" She was only mildly amused.

We had a dog that used to roam, usually ended up over at the same neighbour's and they'd put him to work, working cattle. After they were done with him they'd phone for us to come get him. That started to get a little old, so the last time he went there, we sent him running back towards home, and shot off a .22 right behind his ass all the way home. He never left our place again!

My dowery (a beagle) use to go to the neigbors when I worked in town. I got a buggy whip and spanked him all the way home. (At that time I could out run him) and after that he never left the place....

katrina said:
My dowery (a beagle) use to go to the neigbors when I worked in town. I got a buggy whip and spanked him all the way home. (At that time I could out run him) and after that he never left the place....

I will beat Cal to it , I would pay money to see that now. :lol: :lol:

Denny said:
1 dog good dog

2 dog 1/2 dog

3 dog dead dogs

and thats pretty true

I heard it about boys too! Little different ending.

1 boy good help
2 boys 1/2 boy
3 boys no help at all!

My border collies are with me or kenneled up. I never have understood why people are afraid to kennel a dog in a nice warm kennel and they would never think about turning a horse loose to roam around. Both are working tools in the right hands.

Dogs don't hate kennels anymore than you hate your house. Might not want to be in it all day, but it ain't a bad place to spend some time. :wink:

I have two dogs did the same thing to me the other day... neighbor does NOT like stray dogs on her place.....They're cattle dogs ones usually tied(likes working cows and horses unasked) the other one ALWAYS stays close to tied up one ... daughter came the other day and let tied one run with untied hence the neighbor visit :? Try tying ONE of the dogs up seems to work until daughter shows up.... MADE her go get them from the freindly neighbor :D

I think you are right faster horses,probably gonna have to tie one or the other,till they get a lil age on them,funny how age has a tendency to keep an old dog home :wink: ......................good luck

Had to be gone today so we put the younger dog in the Featherlite stock trailer, just to make sure they wouldn't be someplace they shouldn't. When we got home, both dogs were here and happy to see us. That little Dixie had to have CLIMBED OUT of the stock trailer. Now that is quite a feat!

My golden retriever would stay if she had to starve to death (it's nothing I did). My Jack Russell on the other hand was a different story. I took my FFA crew to a livestock judging one day. My wife was on a trip. We always left the dogs home untied. I came home and he was gone. I rode for two days looking for him. Finally gave up hope. Three days later I went to the gas station in town (5 miles away) and there he was. He hasn't strayed since!!!! (for 4 years now)

The neighbor dog just started hanging out at my place when his "real" owners are away (or not looking). I've adopted him as our own little red-headed step child (he's a red heeler and both of mine are blue). Kinda hope the neighbor allows him to keep coming over to play (just not all the time and not at dinner time). Is that bad?

Faster horses said:
Our two dogs are starting to roam when we are gone. We have NEVER had this problem before. We have had as many as 3 female dogs at one time and they never thought of leaving home. Now we have a male (neutered) and a female (spayed). Yesterday they went to one neighbor's and he called us because he lives too close to the highway and he was afraid they might get out there and get run over; so I went a got them. Gee, they were glad for the ride home, happy as little larks.

Today we were in Miles City and the dogs went to another neighbors. He couldn't get us, so he put them in his stock trailer with some water. We are going to leave them there overnight, maybe all day tomorrow, and have him let them out and shoot a gun in the air. Maybe that will scare the dickens out of them. We will not tolerate dogs that do not stay home. We have never had to tie a dog or kennel one. So this is a first for us. Probably we will have to shut one up when we leave from now on.

They only leave when my husband goes somewhere and is not around outside. The rest of the time they stay right here.

Anyone have any good ideas other than what I posted?

We had to resort to a wireless fence that we purchased on e-Bay and took care of things in nothing flat. It does not stop our old fat dog,I think he has too much fur and fat around his neck but Rita, now 5 months, sets at the line and waits for him to come back. I think the whole deal run us about $100.00 and I don't worry now when I leave. Good luck as it is very frusterating.

Latest posts