• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

tried cow-won't claim calf

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Had a neighbour that was having a battle with a crazy char heifer to make her take her calf........he had her trained to where she wouldn't move as long as he was standing there, but that little cow wasn't happy about it.....he claimed she was suffering from "post-part em" stress disorder :?

Update :) well, yesterday the cow decided the calf was ok to call her own! Well, she gets to raise him and then--well a ride is in store for her to town. Yep, she was called a few names and it wasn't hollywood mom-but I do like that name and its so fitting!!

We had a neibaor(sp) that had this trouble - - I didn't know what to do beside put them in a small pen - I divided he pen so the calf had a SAFE place - - I had some ¿Calm & Cool? in the Fair Show Box (5 years ago) It all "Herbs" but tends to calm Cattle - - I can't say that worked but the cow took the calf in 20 hours

When I was a kid, the nieghbor friends had a hiefer that would kick a calf off. They used the club (Discriminetly) method. She would raise a leg and whack. She learned not to raise the leg, but this was a cow that wasn't on the hunt....I have used this method when no headgate was available and the cow wasn't really a hunter...

I have a nieghbor that has used ace on hiefers, says they really let the milk down...He is 84 years young.....

I had a friend who had a pet cow with huge nipples that needed milked every year by hand. He had no headgate and would halter her and tie her to a post. She would kick, jump, squirm and be a general pain in the butt. The first two years I helped him, the third year I told him this was self inflicted work.......Anway, I would gt her to hold still by running my thumb into the corner of her eye. She was so preoccupied that she stopped fighting him. Some ladies in town asked once what ever would justify this....They seemed satisfied when i told them keeping a baby alive,

Just a few tricks for when facilities are minimal I guess,

PPRM

Latest posts