• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

tried cow-won't claim calf

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed said:
Everyone else told more of a "how to" story with their solution to the problem. I guess my fickle feeble mind just conjured up the image of a Liberal showing up at the job site, and saying, "May I suggest a rope and a sorting stick". It just kind of tickled my funny bone. It is just narrow-minded redneck humor coming through, and I do apologize. :) :)

This is ranch talk. Our cows don't ask if we are conservative or liberal they just want fed, ice chopped, help having calves if they need it, drove to summer pasture, water in the wells, salt, mineral, and enough to eat.

Soapweed said:
I'd think if you were on one of Turner's outfits, you would go by BuffaloRMe. :???: :? :wink:

That comment served no purpose but to take a dig.

So what if I did Turners Ranches are Ranches. The name of the site is Ranchers.net I'd have just as much right to be here.

Soapweed said:
Really, I wasn't trying to take a dig, but was just wondering. After all, buffalo are grass eating creatures, too, just like cattle.

The name I have has nothing to do with eating grass or not. Cattle are what pays the bills here. Since the site was Ranchers.net I thought about ranching thought of cattle. Having been around several children i realize toysrus is a big deal so thus cattle are a big deal to me they provide my livelyhood and way of life. I used me because they are my opinions.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. That is what I have been doing-penning the cow close to the calf,but where she cannot get to him. She will let him nurse if she is eating and I am standing there,but if left alone she will butt the h--- out of him. She wants him in one respect because if the pet dog and I walk out there she gets mighty protective.So maybe she will be better today and by tomorrow (the 3rd day) she will take him.But why would a cow do this for the first time when she is 8yrs. old :???: No weather to bother her as it has been 40 to 60 and dry.

Rowdy Ranch said:
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. That is what I have been doing-penning the cow close to the calf,but where she cannot get to him. She will let him nurse if she is eating and I am standing there,but if left alone she will butt the h--- out of him. She wants him in one respect because if the pet dog and I walk out there she gets mighty protective.So maybe she will be better today and by tomorrow (the 3rd day) she will take him.But why would a cow do this for the first time when she is 8yrs. old :???: No weather to bother her as it has been 40 to 60 and dry.

I am going to get in trouble here but she is FEMALE. :nod:

You woke up in a funny and daring mood. Take cover and be ready for the firing squad!!! LOL

HAY MAKER said:
I would do like Juan said,if you can pen her seperate but close to her calf,where she cant kill it but can see and smell him,then bring a dog close to her calf,if she dont claim and try to protect it..........load er up!!...........good luck
Right on Haymaker....Have used the dog trick many times.

We put them in a stanchion morning and night and let the calf nurse. Alot of work. She will come around give her time to quite down. When we have a cow in a stanchion we might tie up a hindleg so they can't kick. Don't tie it up tight. Make sure it can rest on the ground. We also give them some grain and hay so they think the stanchion thing is a good thing and also keeps milk production up. We try and be real quite and take our time around the cow.

CattleRMe said:
Soapweed said:
I'd think if you were on one of Turner's outfits, you would go by BuffaloRMe. :???: :? :wink:

So what if I did Turners Ranches are Ranches. The name of the site is Ranchers.net I'd have just as much right to be here.
This is what a dig looks like. :lol:
"buffalo girl won't you come out tonight , come out tonight , come out tonight...."

Rowdy Ranch said:

Maybe she just wants a ride to town? :???:

I haven't added my 2 cents worth here, as I haven't dealt with this problem for a few years.

Here are a few things I've seen that were done in this situaqtion. All worked.

Tie one hind leg to a post on the wall. When she kicks, she hurts herself and will learn to quit. But, you have to keep a close eye on them so she doesn't hurt herself and never tie her to a post or pole in the middle that she can go around and around as she can wrap herself up on the post or pole and break her leg.

Dad would put them in a small pen and get a p_ _ _ elm club and beat the P_ _ _ out of them, when ever they tried to hurt the calf. Crude, time consuming, but efective.

I've put horse hobbles on their back legs and turned them loose in a small area or corral. They can bunt, but they can't kick.

Anymore, I think I'd just sell or graft the calf and haul the old girl into town. Broken bones are a pain and cost a lot. Life is too short to deal with these klinds of animals more than once. JMHO

We had an over protective old cow who got my youngest son down and stomped on him and broke his coller bone. Good thing he had a hoof print as they started to question him at the emergancy room, thinking we had beat him up! :shock:

Man, didn't they know I had it all figured out how to beat a kid and not leave a mark? :???: :shock: :eek: :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:oops: :p

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, JB, I enjoy your cowboy humor!!! :)

My husband has tried everything mentioned with these 'society' cows. (He calls them that because they have calves and don't want to take care of them). :)

What he found finally works the best is to tie a hind leg to the fence, like JB mentioned. Have it pretty short the at first and as she gets better, give her a little more freedom. The calf can suck, so you don't have to do that. He feeds them hay and water right there. Actually, the last one we had was in W. Montana and a little creek ran right through the corral, so he didn't even have to pack her water. Worked good, and a lot less work on his part.

I think he did that twice with the same cow, but she never got the opportunity for a third session. As he puts it, "she got a free ride to Omaha."

Faster horses said:
My husband has tried everything mentioned with these 'society' cows. (He calls them that because they have calves and don't want to take care of them). :)

Saddletramp calls those kind "Hollywood mothers". He says they can always get bred but they can't raise a young one. :wink: :)

Red Robin said:
CattleRMe said:
Soapweed said:

This is what a dig looks like. :lol:
"buffalo girl won't you come out tonight , come out tonight , come out tonight...."

Gasp! :shock: Shock! :shock: Surprise! "Good Christians" take digs now? Are they the same bunch at the bar after mass or Saturday night before church on Sunday morning? :?

CattleRMe said:
:lol: Saddletramp is funny. :D

yeah he is, but only if you watch or listen to him! :shock:

Or are not a liberal! :shock:

Yeah, but smell ain't everything! :shock:

Oh, I just kill myself! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sure glad ol' Saddle Tramp ain't been reading any of this lately! :lol:

Latest posts