• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Tyson exec’s cited, misconduct

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Tommy

Reaction score
Tyson exec's cited, misconduct

Lakeside Packers managers cited for misconduct

Canadian Press

October 20, 2005

BROOKS, Alta. — Two senior Lakeside Packers managers were cited for misconduct Thursday by the Alberta Labour Relations Board for putting the lives of a striking union leader and others in danger.

The board ruled there is direct evidence that Andrew Crocker and Carey Kopp deliberately pursued a vehicle driven by Doug O'Halloran near the plant last Friday.

O'Halloran, the leader of the United Food and Commercial Workers local 401, was injured when his car was forced off the road.

"Portions of the pursuit were reckless, putting the lives of O'Halloran and other drivers on the road in danger,'' said the board ruling.

"The Board declares that the employer, Kopp and Crocker engaged in dispute related misconduct ... as a result of the careless and dangerous pursuit of O'Halloran.''

Crocker, the head of security at the plant, and Kopp, the manager of human resources, must desist from any further conduct related to the strike, said LRB vice-chairwoman Nancy Schlesinger.

She banned the two managers from having any further contact with pickets or union officials. They also must stay at least 200 metres away from the picket line.

Hundreds of Lakeside workers walked off the job Oct. 12 to back demands for a first contract. Hundreds more have shown up every day in school buses and cars willing to go into work.

The plant processes more than 40 per cent of Canada's beef.

When asked about two of its managers being banned from going anywhere near pickets, Gary Mickelson, a spokesman for U.S.-based Tyson Foods repeated that the company doesn't want anyone to get hurt in this labour dispute.

He also suggested there are two sides to every story -- including the incident involving O'Halloran.

"We're still trying to gain a better understanding of what happened,'' Mickelson said.

UFCW officials were not immediately available for comment.

However, the Alberta Federation of Labour called the board ruling unprecedented.

"This speaks volumes about Tyson's approach to bargaining,'' said AFL president Gil McGowan.

"Rather than trying to get a deal, one of their lead negotiators is running the union leader off the road.''

Meanwhile, RCMP released the name of a man who allegedly assaulted a Mountie Wednesday on the picket line.

James Achuil Kuol, 35, of Brooks, has been charged with one count of assaulting a peace officer.

Details of the alleged assault, including whether the suspect was a union member or not, were not released.

RCMP have already charged six people, including senior Tyson executives with Lakeside, with dangerous driving and other charges after Friday's incident.

O'Halloran also faces charges of mischief and possession of a weapon related to a scuffle on the first day of the strike

Heard that Mr. Altwasser was also in the Tyson vehicle. Mr. Altwaseur Sr. is the past CEO of Tyson at Brooks. His son is the current CEO.

I imagine he was telling the driver to back off eh! :D

rkaiser said:
Heard that Mr. Altwasser was also in the Tyson vehicle. Mr. Altwaseur Sr. is the past CEO of Tyson at Brooks. His son is the current CEO.

When the FACTS come out I think you will see things differently. There were witness that saw the entire event-considerably different from the Union's claim. The Union can prove their claim in court. In the meantime life goes on.

What is strange is that per regulation the "company" had to serve papers to the Union head who fled knowing he was being served. I would think the serving of papers should be reserved for the police or at least a neutral authority to prevent any potential problem from either side.

agman said:
rkaiser said:

When the FACTS come out I think you will see things differently. There were witness that saw the entire event-considerably different from the Union's claim. The Union can prove their claim in court. In the meantime life goes on.

What is strange is that per regulation the "company" had to serve papers to the Union head who fled knowing he was being served. I would think the serving of papers should be reserved for the police or at least a neutral authority to prevent any potential problem from either side.

So you're claiming that the RCMP issued the citations without having the facts?

~SH~ said:
Sandman: "So you're claiming that the RCMP issued the citations without having the facts?"

Nice spin job!

You might consider a job at CNN!

~SH~

Spoken by one who never gets off of the merry-go-round. Do we have a deal yet, SH?

Oldtimer said:
Tyson's probably too broke to hire a process server :???: :wink:

I quess you did not read what I wrote. The keys words were "per regualtion".

Sandhusker said:
agman said:
rkaiser said:

Where did I claim that?

agman said:
Sandhusker said:
agman said:

Where did I claim that?

The RCMP issued citations, correct? You said "When the facts come out". If the facts are not out yet and citations have been issued, then the RCMP issued the citations without the facts.

Not sure 'bout Canadian jurisprudence, but here in the States a citation doesn't claim to anything but 1 sided, hence the advocacy system.

Furthermore, wiseguys don't deliver court petitions to fleeing altruists. If you want to allude to organized crime, try peacefully walking up and applying for a job.

"This speaks volumes about Tyson's approach to bargaining,'' said AFL president Gil McGowan.

"Rather than trying to get a deal, one of their lead negotiators is running the union leader off the road.''

Just can't get any deeper than this. If LEO were to be serving these papers as would be more sensible, LEO would certainly use pursuit to enable the process. Additionally, fleeing service is usually regarded as some form of obstruction.

Sorry I refered to the 4 Tyson employees as wise guys Brad. It just seemed to fit the scene.

So what is the story Agman, or Brad, or whoever else knows the TRUTH.

Did the RCMP give the papers to these 4 defenders of right to serve on the Union Boss? Sounds like one for the funny papers if that was the case. Maybe even a comic strip with Mafia and wise guys involved. :wink:

rkaiser said:
Sorry I refered to the 4 Tyson employees as wise guys Brad. It just seemed to fit the scene.

So what is the story Agman, or Brad, or whoever else knows the TRUTH.

Did the RCMP give the papers to these 4 defenders of right to serve on the Union Boss? Sounds like one for the funny papers if that was the case. Maybe even a comic strip with Mafia and wise guys involved. :wink:

You have made your claims. Can you admit wrong when the full story is released, not just the union version? I will wait for all the details to be released, until then you can just speculate some more.

Tyson's US Workers Rally Around Canadian Workers

10/21/05 09:15

OMAHA (DTN) -- In a union release, United Food and Commercial Workers Union (UFCW) Local 271 -- as well as all UFCW members across the United States stated they are rallying to support their striking brothers and sisters in Canada after Tyson Foods launched an attack its workers in Brooks, Alberta, Canada.

"The Brooks plant is like a sister plant to us. Both locations employ a large number of refugees from Somalia and the Sudan. We are deeply concerned with Tyson's track record of hiring vulnerable workers and demanding substandard conditions," said Donna McDonald, UFCW Local 271 President.

As the first step, the union plans to raise money and to sponsor striking families.

"Our union is one big family. When Tyson attacks one of us, it's an attack on all," continued McDonald.

Local 271 also plans to reach out to other worker, community and religious organizations to demand a just and swift settlement for the Alberta workers. Workers at the Tyson plant in Brooks, Alberta, Canada plant stood up for a voice with the UFCW Local 401 in August, 2004, eager for basic workplace protections like an end to harassment, improved safety training, and better handling of biological hazards.

The facility dominates the Canadian beef market by killing and processing 40 percent of the nation's supply. More than 2,800 workers report for work at the Brooks plant.

Workers authorized a strike in July, 2005, after negotiations failed to reach a first contract agreement with Tyson. Tyson then turned to the provincial government for assistance. A neutral provincial government mediator crafted a proposal that was approved by workers but rejected by the company -- forcing the strike that began on October 12, 2005.

More than 600 Sudanese refugees work at the plant, along with hundreds of Somalian and other native and immigrant workers. All of them were attracted to Tyson by the promise of a good job and bright future.

That dream has been shattered. In the first few days of picketing, three strikers were physically assaulted and the local president was run off the road in his car. All were hospitalized for their injuries. Hundreds of African workers have endured racist jeers and verbal assaults. Tyson's violent attacks on workers and supporters have created a groundswell of support in the U.S. and Canada.

"Tyson is the largest meatpacking company in the world, but that's no excuse to lead a race to the bottom of wages and working conditions. The workers in Brooks deserve at least the industry standard. We'll do everything they can to support them for as long as it takes," said McDonald.

Latest posts