• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Tyson News Release

Help Support Ranchers.net:

But by golly, the American Mutinational packing industry is different. They will look after their fellow Americans. Yip ers. :roll: If Rcalf barks loud enough to their leaders, the farm industry will be different. George Bush will look after the American farmer. :lol: :lol:

Time for a shake of the head Rcalf boys, America is Global, and farm producers in the mid west are no different than Intel employees in India. Wherever the most money is to be made - let's make it.

As the Nigerian web scam boys say - Americans (and I will add Canadians) are an easy target due to their never ending greed for more.

CAFTA blamed for layoffs at Edenton textile plant
December 3, 2005

EDENTON, N.C. --More than 200 employees will lose their jobs at an Edenton manufacturing plant when the company moves most of its operations to Central America in the coming year.

Edenton Town Manager Anne-Marie Knighton said the decision by George C. Moore Co. is the result of the recently adopted Central American Free Trade Agreement.

The first 30 of the 203 employees at the plant are expected to be laid off in April, with the remainder let go by the end of 2006, according to a company news release.

The plant weaves and dyes elastic materials used by the textile industry, and has been in this city in the northeastern part of the state since the 1960s.

The Rhode Island-based company told area officials of its plans on Wednesday.

The Central American Free Trade Agreement, or CAFTA, is between Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and the Dominican Republic. It eliminates tariffs and opens up the region to U.S. goods and services.

Herb Netherton, manager at Moore's Edenton plant, confirmed Friday that the move to El Salvador was designed to fill the needs of one of the company's customers.

Netherton said his company is not completely leaving Edenton.

"We will continue to have an operation here," he said. "But it will be downsized and be much smaller than it is today."

Moore may be staying so it can fill the needs of customers who require U.S.-manufactured apparel, including the military, federal government, and some medical industries, Knighton said.

Edenton held onto its textile-producing history longer than most North Carolina counties, but the layoffs are a huge blow, she said.

"They were one of our largest employers, in certainly one of our oldest industries," Knighton said. "They came to Edenton in the early 60s and have been a good, good, corporate citizen."

The Moore announcement follows last week's decision by the Weyerhaeuser Co. to shut down its plant in nearby Plymouth after 57 years. That move is expected to displace another 200 workers.

Local agencies are developing ways to help families impacted by the layoffs.

According to the news release, this will not be a slaughter plant. This plant will get beef and pork from other Tyson plants, and most of the jobs will be cutting, trimming and packaging jobs which will produce case ready packages. Most of the other jobs will be related to things like packaging material inventory management, etc. which support the case ready operation.

Econ 101's report includes some verbage about the hispanics replacing rural whites and African Americans from the jobs. I can tell you that I have personally driven through NW Arkansas and observed billboards trying to get people to work including free bus rides from certain communities, etc. If anyone wants a job, I can tell you where to go, and you won't be competing with a hispanic. The same goes for New Orleans now. Don't believe me? Check it out.

rkaiser said:
As the Nigerian web scam boys say - Americans (and I will add Canadians) are an easy target due to their never ending greed for more.

I saw a lot of farmers and ranchers that were taken in by scams and some lost big...

Another reason many in the rural areas are easy targets to scams- especially many of the older generation...Many grew up in a world where someones word meant something and you trusted people-deals were done with a handshake or verbal agreement- where people worked hard for their money----not in the world of today where even a contract written by 7 Philadelphia attorneys may not stand scrutiny and everyone is out to make the fast buck- anyway they can....

Many of these people also grew up with the belief that our govt. thru its many agencies- FBI, FDA, Postal Inspectors, USDA, etc. would not allow such things to operate in this country... I don't know how many times I've heard someone that had a mailbox vandalized or received a scam in the mail comment "boy those people are in big trouble now - thats a federal crime" or "the postal inspector will be after them".....Hardly had the heart to tell them that the feds could care less- too busy chasing the Abrahmoffs, Ken Lays, Tom Delay types of the world- won't even investigate most cases unless you're talking multi-millions $.

Latest posts