• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

U.S. ban on horse slaughter lifted

Help Support Ranchers.net:

on my way up to lethbridge this am saw a straight load of horses headed a different direction than north this morning out of the shelby feedlot... haven't seen that for a bit - someone must have flipped some switches back on relatively quick.

Hereford76 said:
on my way up to lethbridge this am saw a straight load of horses headed a different direction than north this morning out of the shelby feedlot... haven't seen that for a bit - someone must have flipped some switches back on relatively quick.

Hereford76- (or anyone else) I can't remember all the details- but didn't the Montana Legislature 2 years ago pass a law- giving expediance to EPA and Health approvals- along with tax breaks and financing assistance for anyone that put together a good proposal and opened a horse slaughter plant ?

Oldtimer said:
Hereford76 said:

Hereford76- (or anyone else) I can't remember all the details- but didn't the Montana Legislature 2 years ago pass a law- giving expediance to EPA and Health approvals- along with tax breaks and financing assistance for anyone that put together a good proposal and opened a horse slaughter plant ?

the big part of that bill was giving protection from lawsuits- anyone wanting to sue to stop production had to put up 20% ( as I remember) of the total cost of the plant- if they lost their lawsuit the $$$ went to the plant to repay for the delay. it did pass and is now law but no takers that I know of yet as they still didn't have inspectors and therefore no export markets till now.

Totally awesome that they lifted the ban. Always wondered how Americans could be so ethnocentric to think that their culture is always right (and yes, I'm American....but I know not everyone operates the way we do). Really sad how the ban killed the horse market and also killed many horses in much more cruel ways than a slaughter plant ever could have.

I thought horse meat was a delicacy in Europe? Someone mentioned feeding the 3rd world countries with the horse meat....that would probably REALLY upset some people in Europe! LOL

Someone else also mentioned that people don't put up a stink about other animals being eaten that Americans consider "pets only." Actually, there has been a pretty big deal made out of China and other countries in that region breeding dogs for the purpose of slaughter (St. Bernards and Great Danes were the last ones I saw that people were trying to "save"). I haven't heard of anyone with a "Save the kitty" campaign. Maybe instead of euthanizing all the cats and dogs at the shelters, they should butcher them and send them to 3rd world countries? Just tell them its beef or something......actually, chicken....everything taste like chicken (except beef). "Nutritious and delicious, tastes just like chicken!"

I'm just overly relieved that they lifted the ban!!! Thanks for the great news!!

millermlar said:
Totally awesome that they lifted the ban. Always wondered how Americans could be so ethnocentric to think that their culture is always right (and yes, I'm American....but I know not everyone operates the way we do). Really sad how the ban killed the horse market and also killed many horses in much more cruel ways than a slaughter plant ever could have.

I thought horse meat was a delicacy in Europe? Someone mentioned feeding the 3rd world countries with the horse meat....that would probably REALLY upset some people in Europe! LOL

Someone else also mentioned that people don't put up a stink about other animals being eaten that Americans consider "pets only." Actually, there has been a pretty big deal made out of China and other countries in that region breeding dogs for the purpose of slaughter (St. Bernards and Great Danes were the last ones I saw that people were trying to "save"). I haven't heard of anyone with a "Save the kitty" campaign. Maybe instead of euthanizing all the cats and dogs at the shelters, they should butcher them and send them to 3rd world countries? Just tell them its beef or something......actually, chicken....everything taste like chicken (except beef). "Nutritious and delicious, tastes just like chicken!"

I'm just overly relieved that they lifted the ban!!! Thanks for the great news!!

Some of the horse burger I was served in europe was dry chewy and nasty certianly not a treat. I will take horse over mutton any day of the week.

"Some of the horse burger I was served in europe was dry chewy and nasty certianly not a treat. I will take horse over mutton any day of the week."

From what I understand, Native Americans preferred mule over anything. I heard it was sweeter than anything (which from the way it was said how sweet horse meat was on here [tasted like it was soaked in brown sugar], uck! But I guess they didn't have the availability of sweet things like we do today...).

I've eaten quite a bit of Mexican and Chinese food in California, so I'm sure I've eaten my fair share of cat and dog....pretty good stuff, if that's what it was!

And I've never had mutton...never had the guts to try it. My mom said it was really super greasy and just gross....and I haven't been starving yet...[/quote]

had guy in the hay crews in the summer said they never eat mutton, rest of the crew would look at them and say" you had it 3 days a week all summer for lunch" Mom would cook it and it was just hot meat at lunch.... raher eat mutton then antalope....

Probably easier to catch a sheep than an antelope anyway :lol:

I don't remember what it tasted like, but my dad had shot an antelope one year and I guess I asked for it and called it "cantaloupe." I must have liked it if I was asking for it, right?

Is mutton anything like bear? Bear is supposed to be really greasy. All I've ever had were summer sausage sticks from bear, but they tasted good.

millermlar said:
"Some of the horse burger I was served in europe was dry chewy and nasty certianly not a treat. I will take horse over mutton any day of the week."

From what I understand, Native Americans preferred mule over anything. I heard it was sweeter than anything (which from the way it was said how sweet horse meat was on here [tasted like it was soaked in brown sugar], uck! But I guess they didn't have the availability of sweet things like we do today...).

I've eaten quite a bit of Mexican and Chinese food in California, so I'm sure I've eaten my fair share of cat and dog....pretty good stuff, if that's what it was!

And I've never had mutton...never had the guts to try it. My mom said it was really super greasy and just gross....and I haven't been starving yet...
[/quote]

Well, mutton certainly has to be butchered correctly (no wool must touch
the meat) and it must be cooked correctly too. No roaster pan with a lid.
My sister-in-law was a Basque and those people understand how to cook
it. She put hers on the broiler pan and laced the meat with garlic cloves.
Then she roasted it in the oven--by using the broiler pan the grease drips
away from the meat. Not saying it's my favorite meat, but it's fine and lamb
can be very, very tasty--again attention has to be paid to how it's prepared
and cooked.

Update: Ensuring the Humane Treatment of Horses

By Dr. Elisabeth Hagen, Under Secretary for Food Safety at the USDA

Thank you for writing to relay your concerns regarding horse slaughtering. We appreciate your involvement in the We the People project and value your input on issues facing our country.

The humane treatment of horses reflects the values of our Nation.

Recently Congress lifted a ban prohibiting federal funding for the inspection of horses, which had prevented the slaughter of horses for human consumption for the past five years. While Congress has technically lifted the ban, USDA does not expect horse slaughter to resume in the near term as a number of Federal, state and local requirements and prohibitions remain in place. Furthermore, there have been no requests that the Department initiate the authorization process for any horse slaughter operation in the United States at this time.

While some horses continue to be exported to other countries for slaughter, USDA makes it a priority to ensure that these horses are transported and treated humanely. For example, USDA recently extended protection to horses delivered to collection points prior to export, reflecting the Administration's commitment to protecting animal welfare.

Thank you again for your input on this important issue.

Stay Connected

Stay connected to the White House by signing up for periodic email updates from President Obama and other senior administration officials.

Hopefully, a change in administrations will change the delay tactics!

Until then, imo, those opposing uses of horses for meat should volunteer to pay costs of protecting the unuseable horses they stopped from being useful to society by using as food for people or zoo animals and pets.

mrj

It's about time!!! Found this article in the Casper newspaper:

]LANDER — At least two Wyoming groups are considering opening horse slaughterhouses in the state after Congress passed legislation allowing USDA inspection of horse meat and plants, a proponent says.

State Rep. Sue Wallis, R-Recluse, is a member of the United Horsemen. She said her group formed the company Unified Equine to explore the creation of a horse meat processing plant in Wyoming.

The possibility only opened Nov. 18, when President Barack Obama signed an agriculture spending bill. The bill reversed a 2006 decision by Congress prohibiting U.S. Department of Agriculture inspections for horse meat and plants. The last horse slaughterhouse in the country closed in 2007.

Without the inspections, horse meat couldn't be transported out of the state, Wallis said. So, technically, slaughterhouses weren't banned, except in a couple of states that passed laws prohibiting the businesses. But it is impossible to run slaughterhouses without inspections, Wallis said.

Wallis and United Horsemen, as well as other pro-slaughter groups, pushed Congress to allow USDA inspections of horse slaughterhouses.

Wallis said the three-member Wyoming delegation supported allowing such slaughterhouses, especially Rep. Cynthia Lummis.

"Restoring responsible and humane processing is a good step towards dealing with the ever-growing problem of horse overpopulation on private and public lands in Wyoming," Lummis said in a media release. "More work remains but the lift on the ban is important for the humane management of horses."

Wild horses weren't impacted by the current legislation because they are federally protected when on federal land, both Wallis and Wyoming Bureau of Land Management spokeswoman Cindy Wertz said.

"That's a whole other fight we aren't fighting today," Wallis said.

Wallis hopes the federal government will see the success of slaughterhouses in dealing with horses on nonfederal land and eventually consider slaughter as a population management tool for wild horses.

It will take 30 to 90 days, minimum, before any horse slaughter plant could open in the United States because of regulations, Wallis said.

In Wyoming, it will take even longer because there aren't existing sites that could reopen.

"It's fairly certain we will not be the first state to have one open," Wallis said.

Wallis expects Wyoming will eventually have at least one plant. Her group initially looked at the feasibility of building a multipurpose slaughterhouse for cattle, bison and horses, Wallis said. The group tabled those plans, first choosing to work to get the federal government to allow the needed inspections. Now the original plans are in motion.

Wallis said her group is considering a plant in Platte County, an area with a large agriculture base and feedlots. The area also could qualify for rural development funding, Wallis said. And the community, which Wallis and other members of the group have talked with, is supportive because of the economic benefits, she said.

The plant would employ 80 to 100 people with "good-paying jobs with benefits," she said.

Because of construction and the siting process, it would be at least a year before the plant could open.

"That's like the best-case scenario," Wallis said.

At least one other group is also exploring opening a horse slaughterhouse in Wyoming.

Wallis said a group in Riverton contacted her to talk about the possibility of opening a plant. The group's plans are not yet public and Wallis said they are in the early stages.

Wallis fought hard to allow horse slaughterhouses in the U.S.

"Horses are livestock and always have been," she said. "Some people consider them pets and that's fine. But there's a thriving, world-wide market for horse meat."

Economically, slaughterhouses help ranchers, who often have a finite amount of resources, Wallis said. When a horse, which is a working animal, is no longer of use, a slaughterhouse allows a rancher to earn some money while also removing the burden of caring for an animal he or she doesn't need, Wallis said.

"We love our animals, we take care of them, we respect them," Wallis said. "One of the ways we do that is by making sure their lives are not wasted."

Slaughterhouses usually bid on horses at auction, Wallis said, looking for a specific number of horses or sizes.

Wallis said horses taken to slaughterhouses are killed humanely, in the same process used for other livestock. Horses are led to a kill box and within seconds are shot once with a bullet or with a penetrating bolt into the brain. Death is instantaneous, Wallis said.

"To many of us, this is a very moral, ethical way to deal with horses you don't need for something else," she said.

The meat is then sold.

Much of the rest of the world considers horse just another meat.

In some countries, horse meat is an affordable alternative to beef. In other areas of the world, specific cuts of horse meat can go for $20 a pound and are a delicacy, Wallis said.

Wallis isn't sure of the potential market for horse meat in the U.S. There are some people who have traveled and eaten horse meat who might buy it, but she believes it will primarily be an export product.

Not everyone in Wyoming is excited about the prospect of killing horses.

"I find it disgusting," said Patricia Fazio of Cody.

Fazio has a degree in agriculture management and specializes in wild horse issues. She doesn't consider herself an animal rights activist, but instead an animal welfare activist. She isn't as radical as many groups, she said.

In fact, she said in a phone interview Thursday that she was preparing to cook a New York strip steak.

"But a horse is not a cow," she said.

Cattle are bred for consumption. Horses are not, Fazio said.

In the U.S., horses are a symbol of the American West and most often now are used as pets, show animals or for competition, she said.

They aren't livestock, she said. "They're a friend. And you don't eat your buddy."

Horses, even old ones, can provide companionship, Fazio said, adding that people don't want to eat their cats and dogs just because they don't work around the house.

"But they make my heart beat softer and they're loving companions," Fazio said. "What's wrong with companion animals?"

Even ranchers who use horses for work don't breed them for meat, she said. If a horse is sick, it is medicated and treated, and that contaminates the meat, she said. They aren't fed with the assumption their diet could one day also be ingested by humans.

Fazio also questions the way horses are killed, worrying the animal might move in fear and if the shot isn't exact its death might not be instantaneous.

Proponents of slaughterhouses say unwanted horses are turned loose on public land, or abused. Wyoming BLM officials didn't have numbers on how many horses are abandoned on public land.

Fazio said rescue missions across the country take and care for unwanted horses.

Fazio doesn't think anyone will actually open a slaughterhouse in Wyoming because the risk of legislation banning inspection could easily return. But if someone does, she's prepared to fight.

It may have already been posted but Texas and Illinois both have state laws on the books against horse slaughter. So the existing plants won't be brought out of moth balls and put back to work anytime soon.

I cant remember the names, but a congressman and a senator, one from Louisiana the other from Indiana, both have bills coming up to put a federal ban on horse slaughter. I believe that there are groups getting prepared to get the ball rolling on a kill plant. I cant see though, anyone putting the money up to build or refurbish a plant as long as a federal ban on the table.

I've heard by word of mouth that an exisisting plant in Idaho was being brought up to specs. I thought that at the time of the ban that only Tx and Il had operating plants. Has anyone else heard about the plant in Id?

On a side note, while going down I-25 between Wheatland and Cheyenne the other day I saw an anti-horseslaughter billboard. Kinda ticked me off seeing that in this state.

Fazio said rescue missions across the country take and care for unwanted horses.

we all know how the horse rescue operations often work out... :roll:
Horse neglect Cape May, NJ

Kelly Pleis threw in the horse blanket and vacated the county Open Space location on Route 47 as of Dec. 31, according to county Administrator Stephen O'Connor. Pleis told the Cape May County Herald that she gave some horses away, a few for "small adoption fees," and moved 15 to the Florida. She declined to identify the location.

"I'm renting a farm," she said, "and supporting what is left of the rescue horses on my own. I didn't want to send 'em to a slaughter house".

The Pleises intended to take in abused, neglected and abandoned horses and give them a new life.

The state SPCA got involved last March after complaints about conditions at the ranch. It filed charges in May alleging animal cruelty,

Horse neglect - former mayor charged
Pilesgrove, NJ

Former Mayor Richard Nedohon, his son and a Delaware woman were charged last month in an animal abuse case.

According to the SPCA, Dana Wisnoski and Mark Nedohon, the son, were charged with 28 complaints for allegedly failing to provide proper food to 14 horses.

A second anonymous tip led authorities to the horses, the SPCA said.

Who owns the 19 horses remains unclear, said Jane Donoughe, an officer with the SPCA who worked on the investigation.

they "rescue" them put them on a few acres and think the horse will somehow get fed? when the grass turns to mud they then seek donations to feed them and it spirals downward.

weather it is a kennel or a small pasture or a house filled with cats, they all have a few things in common.. an "animal lover" filth and ill treated neglected diseased starving animals..

and none of them have the guts to do what is often right and needed..

[/quote]

Latest posts