• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ugly out there

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
Up to 40F this morning and rain now it's down to 15F with 36MPH winds. Forecast is for -20F by tomorrow and getting colder. The calves were sure wet at noon when the wind picked up. They didn't stay at the hay very long before wanting back into the pens.

Zero visibility since about 2pm :?

It was a balmy 42F here today with mostly sunny skies. Snow is really backing up. Too dang early for a January thaw but sure acts like one. Our water picture for summer is looking bleak unless something changes :?

Same here as at BMR's place ~ gotta walk backwards to the wind or it blows the nose drippins right back in your face :shock: :D

... other than that the ol man found some rodeo on the boob-tube 8)

Yep- Bermuda shorts weather this morning- digging for the longjohns and carharts this afternoon.... :wink:
Visibility in some areas is almost 0... Several north south roads are emergency travel only! North Dakota under blizzard warning as this moves east...

And it appears its not going to get any better til about Tuesday or midweek...

We got an inch of snow yesterday and last night. nice clear day today with a high of about 28F. Will cool off to 0F or colder tonight.

Got some calves sorted this afternoon that has needed doing for a couple weeks. One more pen to work tomorrow and a set of cows at MM that need sorted for age yet also.

Forecast is for clear weather for another 5 or 6 days and then snow. Nothing real cold but that can change.

Hunker down and stay safe out there in the flatlands.

Forecast for my neck of the woods. Temp has fallen 15+ degrees over the last hour. I'm guessing the forecasted high was for midnight.

OLK-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...DES MOINES
755 AM CST SAT JAN 4 2014

...WIND CHILL WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM SUNDAY TO NOON CST
TUESDAY...

.REST OF TODAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. A 30 PERCENT CHANCE OF LIGHT SNOW IN
THE MORNING. PATCHY BLOWING SNOW THROUGH THE DAY. BREEZY. HIGH IN
THE MID 30S. TEMPERATURES FALLING INTO THE LOWER TEENS IN THE
AFTERNOON. NORTHWEST WIND 15 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS TO AROUND 30 MPH.
.TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. BITTERLY COLD. BREEZY. LOW ZERO TO
5 BELOW. NORTH WIND 15 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS TO AROUND 30 MPH. WIND
CHILL READINGS 15 TO 20 BELOW.
.SUNDAY...PARTLY SUNNY. BITTERLY COLD. BREEZY. HIGH NEAR ZERO.
NORTHWEST WIND 15 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS TO AROUND 30 MPH. WIND CHILL
READINGS 25 BELOW TO 35 BELOW ZERO.
.SUNDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. BREEZY...COLDER. SCATTERED FLURRIES
AFTER MIDNIGHT. LOW 15 TO 20 BELOW. NORTHWEST WIND AROUND 20 MPH
WITH GUSTS TO AROUND 30 MPH. WIND CHILL READINGS 35 BELOW TO
45 BELOW ZERO.
.MONDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. BREEZY. PATCHY BLOWING SNOW IN THE MORNING.
SCATTERED FLURRIES IN THE MORNING. HIGH 5 TO 10 BELOW. NORTHWEST
WIND 15 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS TO AROUND 30 MPH. WIND CHILL READINGS
35 BELOW TO 45 BELOW ZERO.
.MONDAY NIGHT AND TUESDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOW 10 TO 15 BELOW. HIGH
5 BELOW TO 10 ABOVE ZERO.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Up to 40F this morning and rain now it's down to 15F with 36MPH winds. Forecast is for -20F by tomorrow and getting colder. The calves were sure wet at noon when the wind picked up. They didn't stay at the hay very long before wanting back into the pens.

I noticed you were using the F-word a lot, this post. :wink:

DustDevil said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

I noticed you were using the F-word a lot, this post. :wink:[/quote

You Yankees understand that better then the C- word. :D

Oldtimer said:
Yep- Bermuda shorts weather this morning- digging for the longjohns and carharts this afternoon.... :wink:
Visibility in some areas is almost 0... Several north south roads are emergency travel only! North Dakota under blizzard warning as this moves east...

Don't know what I would be complaining about. :?

According to Oldtimer's map it's only -7 up here in the Banana Belt. :shock:

Big Muddy rancher said:
Oldtimer said:

Don't know what I would be complaining about. :?

According to Oldtimer's map it's only -7 up here in the Banana Belt. :shock:

Yeah- I wish it was only -7... :lol:
So far the temp has hung around 0 all day- and the wind is not too bad at about 15-20mph...BUT they say the temp will soon begin to drop on its way to around -30...

I saw something I thought I would never see- my granddaughters basketball game with Glendive was canceled last night because of the black ice and 0 visibility... :shock: Almost an unheard of to cancel a sports event...

And our Church announced they were cancelling tomorrow mornings services because of the predicted severe cold....
Probably both good moves- as we don't need the kids or the old fogies going out in what they say is coming...

I took a 2 day break and took the grandkids to Great Wolf Lodge 85 degrees and more water slides than you can believe!

Did not take the camera in the water park but here are a few in the main lodge.
KinzieampKasenwiththebear_zps0e04fd98.jpg
[/url]

We left there and got ICE CREAM!!!!

[/img]

This is the "Story time place"

KinzieampKasenwithViolettheShewolf_zpsbc36e742.jpg
[/url]

My Grand daughter waited over an hour to meet "Violet the She Wolf"[/img]

Out side it was -3F with snow and high winds. I put out extra feed for the cattle ( only 18 head ) and extra bedding in the loafing shed and they missed one morning feeding ( still had a round bale )

Kind of felt bad but came back to reality and the County HiWay called me - - - supposed to start running the trucks at noon tomorrow and if the forecast holds will run about 3 days round the clock.

Twotogo_zps89351ca0.jpg
[/url]

I only have 2 dumps with blades but they both have Allison Automatics, Diesel engines, Air brakes, good heaters, good radios and can get a lot done. If the snow gets to deep for the trucks then the cats come out.

[/img]

The Skid steer is going to the town of New Castle for a few days but so far the big cats are not on call.

I try to keep both trucks within about 5 miles of each other and the same with the loaders so that if one gets stuck the other can come to aid.

Nice to have a check coming in!

Nice dogs.......all of 'em!!!!

Those have to be the biggest sun-dogs I have ever seen!

What was the temperature? And what kind of future weather do you
attribute to the sun dogs. Here, we think it means a change in the weather,
usually colder and wetter. :?

the temp was around -20 C when I took the picture.
wind is blowing out there now it is - 40 windchill suppose to be -50 by morning.
We have been seeing sun dogs for the last couple months and I think we will be seeing them for a least another 3.

Faster horses said:
Nice dogs.......all of 'em!!!!

Those have to be the biggest sun-dogs I have ever seen!

What was the temperature? And what kind of future weather do you
attribute to the sun dogs. Here, we think it means a change in the weather,
usually colder and wetter. :?
We alway s expect cold and colder with those type of sundogs. Sure will take bedding and a huge increase in the feed these next few days.

Latest posts