• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

USDA/AMI/NCBA hypocritical concerning Japanese Issue

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

An Interesting e-mail I recieved: (my highlighting)

The CommStock Report - 02/28/06

Copyright 2005 CommStock Investments, Inc.

David Kruse

Beef industry conservatives Steve Kay and Steve Cornett have come over to the realization that USDA/AMI/NCBA's handling of the Japanese beef market has been a failure, put politely, with Kay saying, "Many in the industry still don't grasp the complexity of trading with Japan." I'm not totally convinced Kay understands the nuances, but even he has figured out, "I can't imagine that we will see much beef to Japan this year." Farm Journal's Beef Today Editor, Cornett, conceded that selling Japanese consumers BSE tested beef may have not been such a bad idea after all saying, "I'm not suggesting that USDA's argument about unscientific trade restrictions wasn't a valid one. Let's just say it's over; it no longer applies. There is a difference between a government requiring superfluous tests and consumers wanting superfluous tests." Only Troy Marshall of Beef Magazine remains belligerent, wanting to pop Japanese consumers in the eye for refusing to buy our beef with trade sanctions threatening, "I'm getting dangerously close to calling for an all out trade war with Japan."

Such beef trade hardliners believe U.S. science trumps all, establishing the basis for all trade rules; yet they support the sale of organic, natural or hormone free beef, none of which is supported by science, as market opportunities recognizing consumer demand for such beef, while refusing to accommodate Japanese consumers request for BSE-tested beef on scientific grounds. Such a USDA/AMI/NCBA trade stance is hypocritical self service, benefiting special interests within the industry in control of the policy making apparatus. This trade policy will ultimately cost the U.S. beef industry hundreds of millions of dollars in lost trade that Troy Marshall wants to blame on Japanese consumers. When the Japanese heard the U.S. beef industry express its desire to fill consumer demand, they may have mistakenly assumed they were included. The U.S beef industry only fills consumer demand that doesn't slow the chain in U.S. slaughter plants. The difference in Japanese and U.S. business cultures is evident by example in the auto industry. Toyota is moving into No. 1 position because quality is first and foremost, represented by a zero defect policy. Any employee along Toyota's production line can shut the entire line down, bring it to a stop if any part of the process malfunctions. Toyota fixes things that aren't broken. Good enough is never good enough.

We don't operate that way. Something pretty darn serious has to happen to stop an IBP production line. Problems are overcome while production continues and a tolerance for an "acceptable" number of defects is practiced. You can call it a culture clash or just a different corporate philosophy, but what we are finding, even in the U.S., is that consumers recognize and demand the higher quality produced by the Japanese system. That's what ultimately scares the USDA/AMI/NCBA. Ford and GM are struggling to produce quality equal to Toyota and U.S. consumers are rewarding that quality with a choice. The Japanese consumer demands more from food safety than the U.S. system currently provides. While we test a few cattle for BSE, Japanese consumers demand all be tested, zero tolerance for defects and are willing to pay the cost. What the USDA/AMI/NCBA are really afraid of is that the U.S. consumer, which likes Toyota's, will figure out we produce beef like GM and Ford with production lines that aren't stopped and an "acceptable" number of defects tolerated based on economic considerations. If we produce beef the way the Japanese consumer demands it, which niche packers like Harris Beef, Creekstone and others can do, they will capture a market share IBP, Excel and Swift don't want to produce for, or will allow competitors to produce for either. The industry captured USDA does major packers bidding, joining the hypocrisy. The U.S. beef industry mistakenly thinks that they are negotiating with the Japanese government, when the Japanese government has actually been losing political popularity with Japanese consumers over concessions made to the U.S. to reopen beef trade. The Japanese consumer is a tough customer, far more complex and demanding than U.S. customers. The shallow, bullying, one size fits all U.S. beef industry tells the Japanese consumer how ignorant they are. Wonder how many Toyota's they'd sell if they treated U.S. consumers the same way we do Japanese beef customers? Probably they'd sell about as many cars in the U.S. as we do beef in Japan.

Such beef trade hardliners(USDA/AMI/NCBA's) believe U.S. science trumps all, establishing the basis for all trade rules;Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA ha he he he HA HA !!!!!!!!AIN"T that THE TRUTH,HA HA HA HA HA HA

PORKER said:
Such beef trade hardliners(USDA/AMI/NCBA's) believe U.S. science trumps all, establishing the basis for all trade rules;Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA ha he he he HA HA !!!!!!!!AIN"T that THE TRUTH,HA HA HA HA HA HA

Porker, your marketing approach is truely amazing. First you publish your company name, then you post an endless stream of infomercials, then you throw darts at USDA/AMI/ NCBA......those that would do you the most good. Why such an approach?

Sandhusker said:
That article mirrors what several of us have been saying since this fiasco started.

The "Deceptive" and "Factually Void" ones that is.......................

Mike said:
Sandhusker said:
That article mirrors what several of us have been saying since this fiasco started.

The "Deceptive" and "Factually Void" ones that is.......................

Don't forget "pathetic" , "hypocrites" and "&^*^*&@#$" :lol:

Beefman said:
PORKER said:

Porker, your marketing approach is truely amazing. First you publish your company name, then you post an endless stream of infomercials, then you throw darts at USDA/AMI/ NCBA......those that would do you the most good. Why such an approach?

Beefman, your little veiled threat in this post is part of the problem. If porker or anyone else has a good product, the beef industry should not check out their politics or bully them with their market power into taking positions that only agree with packers. This shows this industry is out of control. We will have no free speech or free markets when this approach is applied. You should be ashamed.

The USDA/AMI/ NCBA is destroying our foreign markets with the arrogance you portray in this post. This is exactly why the NCBA and big packer run USDA can not support packers and cattlemen at the same time.

Does anyone actually pay money to get the info published in Kruses CommStock fantisies? He is another in the line-up of salesmen who would not have a pitch to push their product if there were too few problems in the cattle/beef industry, so they work to generate negative thoughts.

Actually, people serious about world trade in beef adhere to internationally recognized and accepted, science based rules to guide trade, NOT "U.S. science", as Kruse claims.

His claims of "self service benefitting special interests within the iindustry in control of the policy making apparatus" is short on corroborating facts and long on innuendo and accusations.

Stating that T. Marshall "wants to blame Japanese consumers" is ludicrous. when he is blaming the political processes that game playing long after the problem of the errors in sending unacceptable beef products was apologized for and stringent safeguards were put into place to prevent a repeat of the problem.

Does the man really not know that the contraband beef was produced by a small, niche marketing veal company at the request of the customer for the specific product? Kruse seems to prefer to use the names IBP, Excel and Swift as the bogeymen who "don't want to produce for, nor will allow competitors to produce for either" the Japanese high quality market. Are we being asked to believe NONe
E of those have produced that extremely high quality beef that was being shipped to Japan pre BSE?

And, predictably, he makes the usual claim of "industry capture of USDA" common to the Black Helicopter crowd of beef industry conspiracy theorists, many of whom will not admit the cattle they produce will end up as beef.

MRJ

MRJ said:
Does anyone actually pay money to get the info published in Kruses CommStock fantisies? He is another in the line-up of salesmen who would not have a pitch to push their product if there were too few problems in the cattle/beef industry, so they work to generate negative thoughts.

Actually, people serious about world trade in beef adhere to internationally recognized and accepted, science based rules to guide trade, NOT "U.S. science", as Kruse claims.

His claims of "self service benefitting special interests within the iindustry in control of the policy making apparatus" is short on corroborating facts and long on innuendo and accusations.

Stating that T. Marshall "wants to blame Japanese consumers" is ludicrous. when he is blaming the political processes that game playing long after the problem of the errors in sending unacceptable beef products was apologized for and stringent safeguards were put into place to prevent a repeat of the problem.

Does the man really not know that the contraband beef was produced by a small, niche marketing veal company at the request of the customer for the specific product? Kruse seems to prefer to use the names IBP, Excel and Swift as the bogeymen who "don't want to produce for, nor will allow competitors to produce for either" the Japanese high quality market. Are we being asked to believe NONe
E of those have produced that extremely high quality beef that was being shipped to Japan pre BSE?

And, predictably, he makes the usual claim of "industry capture of USDA" common to the Black Helicopter crowd of beef industry conspiracy theorists, many of whom will not admit the cattle they produce will end up as beef.

MRJ

MRJ, if you have it all figured out, why isn't the U.S. shipping beef to Japan right now?

Porker, your marketing approach is truely amazing.
**** As a AGricultural Producer that uses SCORINGAG records ,Marketing is the number one approach.

First you publish your company name,***** ps.I didnot publish My company name as I am a rancher that sells the BEST RFID Traceback system in the World,Just ask the President of ScoringSystem Inc.

then you post an endless stream of infomercials,
Well,You got something Better!!!! At least ScoringAg is fair to the smallest farmers an rancher's in the world nomatter the animal species or crop.

then you throw darts at USDA/AMI/ NCBA...
**** Cronyism and lies won't make it right for the rest of the world or my fellow ranchers that depend on truth to earn a living.
those that would do you the most good. **** Are you saying as I am saleman and believer of ScoringAg you wouldn't buy from Me?

Econ101 said:
Beefman said:
PORKER said:

Beefman, your little veiled threat in this post is part of the problem. If porker or anyone else has a good product, the beef industry should not check out their politics or bully them with their market power into taking positions that only agree with packers. This shows this industry is out of control. We will have no free speech or free markets when this approach is applied. You should be ashamed.

The USDA/AMI/ NCBA is destroying our foreign markets with the arrogance you portray in this post. This is exactly why the NCBA and big packer run USDA can not support packers and cattlemen at the same time.

The master of disaster is giving me a lesson on ethics. Thanks for a nice laugh.

PORKER said:
**** As a AGricultural Producer that uses SCORINGAG records ,Marketing is the number one approach.

First you publish your company name,***** ps.I didnot publish My company name as I am a rancher that sells the BEST RFID Traceback system in the World,Just ask the President of ScoringSystem Inc.

Well,You got something Better!!!! At least ScoringAg is fair to the smallest farmers an rancher's in the world nomatter the animal species or crop.

**** Cronyism and lies won't make it right for the rest of the world or my fellow ranchers that depend on truth to earn a living.
those that would do you the most good. **** Are you saying as I am saleman and believer of ScoringAg you wouldn't buy from Me?

You might have a great product and be a fine salesman. I just don't know many sales people that thumb their noses at potential customers, and expect to do business with them later.

Beefman said:
PORKER said:

You might have a great product and be a fine salesman. I just don't know many sales people that thumb their noses at potential customers, and expect to do business with them later.

Kind of reminds me of how NCBA thumbed their noses at potential customers when they opposed M-COOL- even after NCBA's own surveys showed that US consumers overwhelmingly supported M-COOL and wanted to know where the meat they buy comes from :???:

NCBA: "We'll teach them thar ignorant folk to eat what we give them" :wink: :lol:

What about telling the Japanese that their laws are not based on our sound science and need to be changed so they can take our product - or face trade sanctions.

OT: "Kind of reminds me of how NCBA thumbed their noses at potential customers when they opposed M-COOL- even after NCBA's own surveys showed that US consumers overwhelmingly supported M-COOL and wanted to know where the meat they buy comes from..."

Repeat the line
Repeat the line
Repeat the line

Forget the fact that Mike Callicrate's "born, raised, and processed in the U.S." branded beef product sales were suffering from CONSUMER APATHY in a state where one of these polls was conducted suggesting consumers would pay more for U.S. Beef when 95% of the beef at the retail level is U.S. beef. Classic "SYMBOLISM OVER SUBSTANCE".

Repeat the line
Repeat the line
Repeat the line

Follow those R-CULT pied pipers my little whiskey drinking sheep!

~SH~

Oldtimer said:
Beefman said:
PORKER said:

Kind of reminds me of how NCBA thumbed their noses at potential customers when they opposed M-COOL- even after NCBA's own surveys showed that US consumers overwhelmingly supported M-COOL and wanted to know where the meat they buy comes from :???:

NCBA: "We'll teach them thar ignorant folk to eat what we give them" :wink: :lol:

Wrong again, as usual for you, OT.

NCBA members believe in giving consumers choices. TODAY, and for some time past, they CAN choose labeled beef, with real information and real food safety, and higher quality by choosing from the many branded beef products from many sources. They can choose to know the name of the producer. COOL won't allow that. Consumers have far more options with the many and varied producers of branded beef, from more or less generic like Ranchers Renaissance at Safeway, to Harris Ranches Beef, to Omaha Steaks, to the many so called organic products, and probably hundreds more.

While COOL would tell them that maybe as much as a whopping 5% of the beef they could ever see at the retail counter would be labeled as "imported", while 95% of it would go through food service and restaurants with no information at all required. Your COOL law is the DECEPTION!

MRJ

MRJ said:
Oldtimer said:
Beefman said:

NCBA members believe in giving consumers choices. TODAY, and for some time past, they CAN choose labeled beef, with real information and real food safety, and higher quality by choosing from the many branded beef products from many sources. They can choose to know the name of the producer. COOL won't allow that. Consumers have far more options with the many and varied producers of branded beef, from more or less generic like Ranchers Renaissance at Safeway, to Harris Ranches Beef, to Omaha Steaks, to the many so called organic products, and probably hundreds more.

While COOL would tell them that maybe as much as a whopping 5% of the beef they could ever see at the retail counter would be labeled as "imported", while 95% of it would go through food service and restaurants with no information at all required. Your COOL law is the DECEPTION!

MRJ

MRJ, if the U.S. did import just 5%, the way it is mixed, it could go into way more than 5% of the products out there.

Econ101 said:
MRJ said:
Oldtimer said:

MRJ

MRJ, if the U.S. did import just 5%, the way it is mixed, it could go into way more than 5% of the products out there.

Econ, you didn't read my post carefully. I said only about 5% of the beef in RETAIL MEAT COUNTERS would be imported beef, and that 95% OF THE IMPORTED BEEF would go through foodservice, restaurants (and other products, many of the prepared or mixed) AND that 95% of IMPORTED beef would ALL be EXEMPT from labeling under the COOL law as it currently stands. Please not that I did NOT call you an IDIOT for missing that point.

MRJ

MRJ- It doesn't matter how you try to generalize or rationalize it--NCBA showed their arrogance for and thumbed their noses at the US consumers when they decided to back the packers and fight against any M-COOL law-- even after NCBA's own surveys showed that consumers want to know what country their meat comes from- and that they may even pay more for domestic....

NCBA's arrogance of the last decade-"Them thar ignorant folk will eat what we give them"...Except this time the Japs aren't buying it- and the US consumer is awakening too......Time for NCBA to move into the 21st century.....

Oldtimer said:
MRJ- It doesn't matter how you try to generalize or rationalize it--NCBA showed their arrogance for and thumbed their noses at the US consumers when they decided to back the packers and fight against any M-COOL law-- even after NCBA's own surveys showed that consumers want to know what country their meat comes from- and that they may even pay more for domestic....

NCBA's arrogance of the last decade-"Them thar ignorant folk will eat what we give them"...Except this time the Japs aren't buying it- and the US consumer is awakening too......Time for NCBA to move into the 21st century.....

You are pathetically ignorant of the facts re. NCBA and any decisions the members make or why they do so. You also are the arrogant one here. So sure you know more than any participating members do. Your crystal ball has gotten uselessly clouded by your hatred.

MRJ

Latest posts