• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

USDA trying to pull sneaky?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

I heard on the radio that the Senate Parliamentarian found where USDA had filed rules change notification about the border--- they had previously not allowed Senator Conrad to file his resolution, because they said the USDA had not filed the proper notification....

They said that is was found stapled to the back of a tangerine policy.....Is the USDA trying to pull another sneaky? Or are they just not proud of their rule change proposal?

Oldtimer said:
I heard on the radio that the Senate Parliamentarian found where USDA had filed rules change notification about the border--- they had previously not allowed Senator Conrad to file his resolution, because they said the USDA had not filed the proper notification....

They said that is was found stapled to the back of a tangerine policy.....Is the USDA trying to pull another sneaky? Or are they just not proud of their rule change proposal?

I heard the same thing OT and I think I seen an article on it if I find it ILL post it................good luck

http://www.wisconsinagconnection.com/story-national.cfm?Id=171&yr=2005

Pulling a sneaky has been the USDA theme for a while, even before the days of Espy, and it still continues? Just tell the truth, is that so hard?

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, February 12, 2005 11:30 AM
To: Undisclosed-Recipient:;
Subject: Dow Jones: Senate Rec'd. Notification of USDA Border Plan

2/11/2005 6:51:35 PM

Senate Received Notification Of USDA Border Plan

WASHINGTON (Dow Jones)--Keith Williams, spokesman for the U.S. Senate Agriculture Committee, confirmed late Friday that the Senate had received notification of the U.S. Department of Agriculture's plans to lift a ban on Canadian cattle.

Williams said the notification was received by the Senate executive clerk and then passed on to the Senate Agriculture Committee.

Notification became an issue Friday when Senator Kent Conrad, D.-N.D., in a prepared statement, said USDA had failed to notify the Senate of its plans and that the mistake might delay the March 7 border opening.

Later Friday, USDA spokeswoman Alisa Harrison said the USDA did not mistakenly forget to notify the Senate of its plans and that the border was still scheduled to be opened March 7.

Harrison showed reporters photocopies of receipts she said proved USDA notified the Senate on Jan. 4 of its intention to open the border.

"We followed the rules and transmitted it properly, (meeting) all of the legal requirements," Harrison said. "We consider March 7 to still be the effective date."

The USDA sent the notifications to the Senate, House of Representatives and the General Accounting Office as a matter of routine, Harrison said.

The notification was sent, according to the receipts, to Vice President Dick Cheney's office in the Senate and to Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert,

R-Ill.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A technicality may delay USDA's plans to reopen U.S. markets to Canadian cattle and beef.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A procedural error may force USDA to delay its plans to resume imports of cattle and some beef cuts from Canada on March 7, according to a Reuters news report. Se. Kent Conrad (D-North Dakota) said USDA failed to notify the Senate of its trade regulation, despite being required by law to do so. Congress has the power to review major regulations and can overturn them.

"As far as the (Bush) Administration is concerned, we submitted it properly," USDA spokeswoman Alisa Harrison was quoted by Reuters. "We consider March 7 to still be the effective date." She gave to reporters copies of a receipt signed by Vice President Dick Cheney's office on January 4 to accept the formal notice of the rule. The Vice President's office routinely accepts filings on behalf of the Senate, she said. It was unclear what happened afterward.

Clerical officials in the Senate could not say if they had received the notification. An Internet search by Reuters of the Congressional Record found no reference to the regulation in Senate activities, although it was cited among "executive communications" in the House on February 1.

Reuters further cited Conrad as saying the procedural problem was discovered when he and several other senators tried to file a resolution on Thursday to void the USDA rule. A search of the Congressional Record by Internet on Friday found a reference to the USDA rule among "executive communications" to the House of Representatives but no similar mention in the Senate, Reuters reported.

Web posted: February 13, 2005
Category: Announcement,Food Safety,Legislation and Regulation,Trade
Domenick Castaldo, Ph.D.

This seems to me to be more PR @sskissing! Im quite sure he knew that they intended to open the border. He's already covering his votes in the next election! :twisted:

These senators vote against the border opening because that's just what they do. That's all they have ever done whenever international trade is involved. We have come to expect it.

They don't like Canadian goods coming into the country, but they sure don't turn away money when Canadians come down to shop in their states.

Just a few weeks ago the World Junior Hockey championships were held in North Dakota. At the final (which Canada won, BTW) I heard an estimate of 10 thousand of the 12 thousand seats that were sold went to Canadians.

How come they were allowed across the border? They were Canadians after all, and North Dakota doesn't want to trade with Canada, right? Maybe some politicians don't, but I bet the business people in Fargo have a different attitude.

R-calf-

Im thinking you likely havent put a whole lot of thought into your worthless piece of information you posted saying we don;t know much about American politics. I would like you to know that Canadian Ranchers liekly pay closer attention to the american government than you do. Why don t you go cry to Daddy or gammpy for some more money!

It is sure a different story when you want something from Canada such as oil, and fuel. Likely the fuel you burn in your lil rice burner car is from Canada! :mad:

This claim by Senator Corrad is erroneous and has no factual support. The notification was done per regulations by the USDA on Jan, 4 2005.

Agman, you'd never make a good race horse, you got no blinders. thanks for seeing through the BS.

OT-

How are things down your way today? Starting to cool off here and suppose to stay that way for a few days. Strong NW winds today making it feel cooler.

Not necessarily OT, tangerines may habour more deadly deseases than BSE. How many people has e coli killed in the US? vCJD if it is caused by BSE is minor,9especially when the risk is removed) check for facts. More people die from being suffocated in their bedsheets each year than vCJD. Are they banning imports of those from China?

E-coli will still be the number one killer of the two! Most of those cases from vegetables!

oldtimer: How about 20-30 years from now

by then they might have the bedsheet thing figured out.

The bedsheet thing may also be stapled to the tangerine law, or maybe it to went right to the Vice president, because of it's importance, maybe the senators missed it because they were trying to escape from their bedsheets and Monica!

Latest posts