• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Values

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Red Robin

Reaction score
I'm curious , does anyone care to explain values and explain what they base their values on? I'm curious how everyone sees it. If you like you can just state right and wrong and how you decide which is which.

Big subject but here is a quote from Dr. Laura.
If you would be imbarassed for people to know about it, chances are its the wrong thing to be doing.

RoperAB said:
If you would be imbarassed for people to know about it, chances are its the wrong thing to be doing.

like riding a moped?

RoperAB said:
Allow me to be argumentative for the sake of discussion , if I were from a canibal tribe in Africa or South America for example , and the custom was after grandpa died , for all the family to gather around and eat a piece of flesh from grandpa to appease the gods and to continue grandpa's "life" , if I were to not partake of the ritual and was embarrassed by my departure from culture, I am doing wrong? If it was custom to sacrifice my daughter in a temple to appease the sun god and I didn't and was embarrassed by my lack of obedience, I am doing wrong?

Red Robin said:
RoperAB said:
Allow me to be argumentative for the sake of discussion , if I were from a canibal tribe in Africa or South America for example , and the custom was after grandpa died , for all the family to gather around and eat a piece of flesh from grandpa to appease the gods and to continue grandpa's "life" , if I were to not partake of the ritual and was embarrassed by my departure from culture, I am doing wrong? If it was custom to sacrifice my daughter in a temple to appease the sun god and I didn't and was embarrassed by my lack of obedience, I am doing wrong?[/quote"]

Really what it comes right down to as far as I can see is that we only know for sure that it is wrong because of scripture (Ten Commandments) tells us that its wrong. We cant really define whats right and wrong through reason or logic. We don't really understand it.
We call a carried thing carried simply because it is carried, not because it possesses some innate characteristic or property that we could call 'carried'. Carried, that is, is not an inherent quality like weight. What im saying is that we carry something that is already there. This thing exists without our carrying it; our carrying does not bring it into existence. So too as far as goodness is concerned; we approve or disapprove of something which is already, in some sense, there; our approving, by itself, does not make an action good. The approval follows from our recognition that an action is good; not the other way round. Or, to put it more simply, the goodness comes before the approval.
Without scripture we are lost and basically just Druid/Pagan and Wiccas on our way to personal hell :wink: .

Roper.....take some time and actually read about the Druids...you'll surprise yourself.

And deciding whether you're RIGHT or WRONG about a certain cultural decision/action depends on where in the world you happen to be at that time of decision making.

Things acceptable in one part of the world are considered horrid in others. I.E. You have no problem sitting back and prop your boot up on a desk where your friends could see the bottom of your shoe.

In Middle Eastern lands that is an insult.

The the thumbs " up" sign is taken here as the equal of A-OK....in 90% of the world ( Spain, etc) it's considered " up yours " and very vulgar.

kolanuraven said:
Roper.....take some time and actually read about the Druids...you'll surprise yourself.

And deciding whether you're RIGHT or WRONG about a certain cultural decision/action depends on where in the world you happen to be at that time of decision making.
Well thats why Christ was given to us. Thats why the gospel was spread around the world.
What happens if a Wiccan/Druid happens to be a child molester?The Wiccan would go out and molest children thinking that he isnt doing anything wrong?After all ,doesnt a Wiccan do whatever he or she thinks is the right thing to do according to whatever their gut tells them?

Wouldnt you agree that until we actually understand why something is either good or evil.Or until we can actually prove what is good and what is evil.That we need scripture to follow so that we dont do wrong or evil?Because whats evil to one person might not be evil to another?Example Hitler probably believed that he was right.

BUT..the whole world is not Christian...so you can't measure their values /morals/ethics by YOUR standards.

Not sure ,but Wiccan is an organized belief system and they have their rules and regulations to follow just like any other belief system...that's how they exist by their structure---whatever that may be. You got me to thinking...so now I'll have to read up on Wiccan!!

Communion....flesh of my flesh....blood of my blood???? Can be traced back to ancient rituals when you ate part of the conquered to gain their strength/power for yourself. Was really considered a compliment to your strength as a combatant, the victor wanted your strength.

Many Native American societies did the same thing....

I would say all my values come from my parents and have been refined as I get older. I did not go to church as a child (Mom was a catholic who was excomunicated for get married to my dad, an episcopal I think but she had already fallen away from the church due to issues with them damning her dad since he was luthern and papal infailability). I would say that most all of your values, wether they were taught to you by society or your folks were based in religious canons, and esp, if you are from this county, the Christian faith.

And of course, as you grow older your values are shapped by your experiences. SOme thigs will make you value things more than others and other things will be coming beliefs from your past... I know I am more liberal and more conservative, dependin on th issue, that I was when I was living at home with my folks... That, and I am becoming my dad when it coms to parenting and that scares the bejeebies out of me :shock: First his hair line and now his parenting skills... MAn I get none of the breaks. :lol:

kolanuraven said:
BUT..the whole world is not Christian...so you can't measure their values /morals/ethics by YOUR standards.

Not sure ,but Wiccan is an organized belief system and they have their rules and regulations to follow just like any other belief system...that's how they exist by their structure---whatever that may be. You got me to thinking...so now I'll have to read up on Wicca

Wicca is basically a modern thing derived from the Druid faith except they dont do human sacrifices.
Most wiccans believe that whatever you do will come back to you threefold.
They dont even believe there is such a thing as evil although the whole faith reaks of devil worship.
Its popular among liberals because on the outside it looks like its all into "old mother earth" and everything thats "green" and "natural" and popular with tree huggers.

RoperAB said:

Good point.

kolanuraven said:
Can I extrapolate from your post that you are for moral relativism? Situational values ? Situational right from wrong? If your thinking is correct, how can we as a nation or you as a individual say anyone or any nation is wrong in their thoughts or actions? I'm not trying to be insulting but how could you say Germany was wrong while they killed the Jews if your thinking is correct, or slavery was wrong? It was fine with the majority of citizens at the time?

how about the 'Golden Rule'? Perhaps it trumps them all: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

This might be the best rule EVER to remember...no matter what your beliefs maybe

kolanuraven said:

This might be the best rule EVER to remember...no matter what your beliefs maybe

Wouldn't that depend on if you were a follower of the 'white wicca' or the 'dark wicca'?

I mean that remember whatever you do.....cause it may come back to you 3 fold. Translation....if you do good...it comes back 3 fold. Screw up....you get it back 3 times also

Wiccan rule or not....seems pretty straight forward to me.

It's not a wicca thread girls.
Does no one have a definition of right and wrong that isn't something like "to each his own"? How can a society regulate through laws what is right and wrong if we can't define it?

kolanuraven said:
I mean that remember whatever you do.....cause it may come back to you 3 fold. Translation....if you do good...it comes back 3 fold. Screw up....you get it back 3 times also

Wiccan rule or not....seems pretty straight forward to me.

You see the problem with this is.What happens if a Wiccan happens to be a child molester?The Wiccan would go out and molest children thinking that he isnt doing anything wrong?After all ,doesnt a Wiccan do whatever he or she thinks is the right thing to do according to whatever their gut tells them?

Latest posts