• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Waiting on Dennis

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
The house filled up by lunch with guests from the Gulf Coast dodging the hurricane. Last count I got was 18 people, most were in the mandatory evacuation areas.
At least they brought their own "Cold Beverages"! :lol:
Too bad I don't have 3-4 thousand square bales on the ground now. I would really get to see who appreciates sleeping in a dry bed!

I-65, which goes from Mobile to Chicago, is totally northbound as of 6:00 A. M. this morning. Bumper to bumper all the way up to Tennessee. Not a motel room to be had anywhere.

Bad part is when the storm is past us, FEMA lets eveyone go to their homes when they say the area is secure. Sometimes a week or more!
I need your prayers folks!

Hey Mike, I'm not too familiar with Alabama's geography. Montgomery is inland quite a way's isn't it? Are you safe enough there?
I like to whine about the blizzards we get in winter but I think I would rather have them than a hurricane.

Lood Guck, :wink:

Jethro.
PS. About 95 degrees here today and 80% humidity. Hay won't dry!!! :x

TimH said:
Hey Mike, I'm not too familiar with Alabama's geography. Montgomery is inland quite a way's isn't it? Are you safe enough there?
I like to whine about the blizzards we get in winter but I think I would rather have them than a hurricane.

Lood Guck, :wink:

Jethro.
PS. About 95 degrees here today and 80% humidity. Hay won't dry!!! :x

We're about 150 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico. We got 75 MPH winds last year whe IVAN hit, but that was unusual. Usually get lots of rain. The bottom portion of Alabama joins the Gulf.
80% HUMIDITY UP THERE? Wow! That's the norm here in summer. And the reason for so much poor quality hay. By the time the hay is dry....... it 's raining again.
We have to tedder hay til there's nothing left at times.

Mike, Just read it is a level 4 hurricane coming your way. We hope hope hope you are spared damage.

nr said:
Mike, Just read it is a level 4 hurricane coming your way. We hope hope hope you are spared damage.

Mike I hope you got those white cattle safe in a trap on high ground :D Oh yeah make sure your generator is working good so we dont loose you,gotta keep our priorities straight :D ................good luck seriously 'BE CAREFUL'

Mike and Bama, I'm worried about you guys!!!!!!!! :( Mike, how's your tangle ridge holding out?? Are you going to need more to get you through the hurricanes??? :wink: South Dakota is pretty safe, and dry!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks folks, Not in a flood zone, so flooding is not a worry. My biggest worry is tornados and cows bunching up under trees that lightening could hit.

I'm good on the "Tangle Ridge", it's for special occasions only! Besides, we'll be drinking "Hurricanes" by dark tonite! Vodka.

Bands of rain began about an hour ago. Not much wind yet, got another truckload of guests heading this way from the coast.
:shock:

I'll take our Earthquakes any time - No waiting time - 10 seconds a it's over - and it's fun to watch the NewBee's run-around like a Chicken-with-it's …

67 years and some bad ones and most people have funny stories - - like when we were haveing a BS Sling in the field and the big rubber tired Deere that dancing from its right tires to its left tires as we looked on in shock - Dancing Tractor??? = took us afew seconds to figure it out "Earthquake" - another time - I was sitting in the living room looking down the hall at my dog when earthquake ripples went dow the hall like sound waves - first I could see my dog then I couldn't - about 5 times

Yea! Give me a 10 sec EQ and the buildings a quick shot of "Cabrito Tequila Reposado" and back to busness - - not hours with a "Vodka" bottle

Well I wish you Luck - hows it going

To Mike,
Like parents say to their teenager out driving alone for the first time,
"We want you to check in with us on Ranchersnet every hour so we know you're ok! :D :wink:

Georgia is waiting on the rain and crap also with Dennis. We got slammed with Ivan also.....and too bad I can't put all the evacuated people I've got here to work on the farm !!!

City slickers won't work in the rain!! Hang on!!!

Checking in:
Raining sideways :shock: Power went out once, got the generator going and the power came back on. :???: Cows seem to be enjoying the breeze. 8) Already thru two picthers of "Hurricanes". :wink: :wink: :wink:

Mike----prayers out to you and yours hoping you weather (no pun intended :oops: ) this latest storm out and you come out unscathed!!! Hang in there!! :shock:

As always late to the post.......Sending safe thoughts your way Mike and any others out that way......

I am 40 miles eaet of Mike so he may get it worse than I.
I just got back from south Alabama (Atmore) where I was maning the reverse laning of I-65. All went well with that and traffic was light by last night.
just rain at my house now but it should get windy soon.
We also have a house full with all the kids and their girl/boyfriends. The basement is also filling up fast with some local friends that live in trailers. The generater is fuled and ready to go but we hope we don't need it. I have been cooking all afternoon and they are eating faster than I can cook. I think I will crack a bottle of Jim Beam and let them fend for them selves. :D

Thank god for the hurricanes and sand nats. They keep the yankes away!
:oops:

Mike and Alabama I know it sounds stupid but was going to say if I could do something to help.......Alas the heart is in the right place. Stay safe.

Good Lord... Mike, Alabama, I was just watching Dennis on the news.... :shock: you guys stay low and look after yourselves. My prayers are with you.

Mike- "Already thru two picthers of "Hurricanes".

Hey Mike, What,egthactly, ith in "Hurricainths" that makth a perthon thlur their thpeeth??? Did you drink both picthers by yourthelf?? :lol:

Jethro.

How are things on the east side of Dennis? We got by a lot better than I thought we would over here on the western edge...power has been out for several hours, but didn't even have to break out the hard stuff. My buddy that's been in Iraq came by and drank all the beer I had in the house...need to go to the barn and get that stash...hate to see cold beer get hot.
Check in when you can...unless them "hurricanes" done got you down. Y'all take care.

Ish beens a long day. Skarted with Grey Goose and am mixing with the Absolut. There ain't nuttin to tese hurrycanes, like to have one erry day.
Been dancing and aint nobody stepped on my hand yet sos I mus be still Ok. Dennis? Big wind so far here is 60 mph. I can blow that hard. bye

Hang on to your hat! :hat: :D

We were watching the CNN guys out getting tossed around in the wind this afternoon. You need a webcam so we can keep watch!

I can see it now ... Mike standing in the shelter of a one ton Charolais bull with a Hurricaine in one hand, and a microphone in the other. "Folkths, it's getting a little windy now, and a bit damp. Oh OH! This ish becoming an emergenthy! The rain ish dilutin' my Hurricaine!. " :help:

Seriously, take care. Let us know how it turns out.

Latest posts