• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Warning of a virus

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Howdy1

Reaction score
I don't know if this the right spot for this but I was wanting to offer a little warning to fellow ranchers.net folks.

Last Friday we got a virus on our computer stating it was from Microsoft Windows. It said it ran a scan of our computer and found all these bad things, virus, malware, etc. It wanted us to pay for a Anti-virus program thru Microsoft with a credit card. IT LOOKS VERY LEGITIMATE!!! What they want is your credit card number. It basically took over our computer and would't let us do anything with the internet.

We took it to our local computer doctor and he got it fixed up and said it is a bad virus to get. Anyway DO NOT BUY THE PROGRAM!!!!!

Makes me mad that people have so looks for ways to make other people's life miserable. Don' they know I get grumpy when I can't watch the markets and cruise ranchersnet. :mad:

Hope this helps somebody in the future if you too are unlucky to get a sick computer.

Howdy

I had a 'bit defender' anti-v program that worked very well.

Went into store where i bought computor to renew it, got sticker shock.

Had good rapport with salesman, he eventually told me he personally used microsoft 'security essentials' the free version, and it works as good as any. Havn't installed it yet.

I use Avast! free antivirus. It seems to work really well for me. You have to renew it once a year but it's easy and costs nothing. I like free!

If you're running Windows XP / Vista or Win-7 goto: www.filehippo.com and download a FREE copy of 'Microsoft Security Essentials'.

I've been running it on my laptops for over 3 yrs now, with nary a problem, and I do visit websites and download 'things' I ought not to...and I've never suffered a 'crash' yet with this stuff protecting me.

It does'nt cost a thing, updates itself, looks after everything going into (and out) of your system, it takes up very little space on hard-drive, takes up FAR less memory (RAM) than anything from Norton/Macafee or any of the others mentioned above AND what could possibly be better than an anti-virus/anti-malware program built BY Microsoft FOR Microsoft Operating Systems ?

I use Microsoft security Essentials and it works fine. Norton blocked some programs from working.

If these type of viruses hit, disconnect from the internet, delete anything the virus put on, and reboot, and if necessary, use system restore.

Latest posts