• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

watch dog

Help Support Ranchers.net:

carole3218

Reaction score
I am going along pretty well with Rita, the Corgi-heeler mix, but she does not bark when people drive in the driveway. That was the main reason I got her. My old mean dog just lays there and barks. He used to scare people so bad :twisted: , the electric woman reader wouldn't come down the road if I could not be reached by phone. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to encourage her to be a watch dog. I thought with that cross, she would be a watch dog but maybe I am expecting to much out of her as she will be 4 months tomorrow. Any ideas from you dog pros? thanx a bunch

You know how women are, don't you? :) Kinda like they want it yesterday. Nothing like men. I just took so much crap for getting a puppy, I am overanxious, I am sure. I sure wish this site had spell check, I have lost my ability to spell correctly since I become dependent on spell check. I don't think anyone cares on here. Regards

carole3218 said:
.... He used to scare people so bad :twisted: , the electric woman reader wouldn't come down the road ...

Carole, I sat puzzling and re-reading your post trying to figure out what on earth an "electric woman reader" was! lol :???: Picturing a wild haired gal with a do that looked like she stuck her finger in a socket who reads books to people? Must be waaaayyyy past my bedtime.
Finally caught on.
Hope your doggy catches on soon also.

My mind goes faster than my fingers, obviously. I meant the gal who reads the electic meters. I should have read it several times to myself to catch my goof up. Just having one of those moments......again :lol:

I just don't remember what to expect and when with this pup, guess I will go to the library tomorrow as I had a book recommended on this site.

Yup agree with Tibbs, got a Australian shepard last yr. as a pup after my old boy died.... wondered what was wrong with her she never barked! Well about 8 months she found her voice and hasn't quit since, barks at every darn thing and all night too BE CAREFUL WHAT YA WISH FOR :D

greg said:
Yup agree with Tibbs, got a Australian shepard last yr. as a pup after my old boy died.... wondered what was wrong with her she never barked! Well about 8 months she found her voice and hasn't quit since, barks at every darn thing and all night too BE CAREFUL WHAT YA WISH FOR :D

Thanks, I needed that, I am feeling pretty stupid for even mentioning it. :oops:
:dunce:

And I know to be careful with what you wish for, you might get it. Been down that road before, lol

3 miles south of us, a 79 year old farm woman had her throat slit by some gang guy over $8000.00 worth of jewelry. I cannot hear in this house as I guess we insulated it to well. Yesterday, it was 2 Jehovah Witness's and I said, didn't you see the bad dog sign, she said the Lord protects them. I turn around and there is somebody at the door, scares me sometimes, as my old dog use to not let them out of their vehicles.

Well, cheers, folks

We had a border collie once that wouldn't bark to let us know she wanted needed to go out. so we taught her how to ring a bell to summon us. Then she learned how to both ring the bell AND bark. :mad: We became her little unpaid servants! :?
She was a dear dog though, one of the best.

I sure would be interested to know how to teach her to ring a bell to go out. I have heard of people training theirs to ring bell but I did not how to start. Maybe in Deadwood, you can tell me how you went about it. I know old Bear is getting pretty fed up with the pup as she harrasses the hell out of him til he finally gets mad. I told him to nail her once and she would quit. I think he just does not have the oomph anymore. Makes me feel bad for him.

carole3218 said:
I sure would be interested to know how to teach her to ring a bell to go out. I have heard of people training theirs to ring bell but I did not how to start. Maybe in Deadwood, you can tell me how you went about it. I know old Bear is getting pretty fed up with the pup as she harrasses the hell out of him til he finally gets mad. I told him to nail her once and she would quit. I think he just does not have the oomph anymore. Makes me feel bad for him.

Just hang a bell by the door but make sure it isn't a string or chain the dog could catch his nail in. Ours was on a wrought iron brace. Let him see you throw a treat outside the door. Close the door. Pick up his paw, hit the bell with it and let him out to get the treat. Repeat that a few times. He'll catch on especially if he's hungry!
At first our dog looked at us in utter disbelief like you gotta be kidding, me do that? You could actually see the rebellion! But within 1/2 hour Sneaker knew to ring the bell because she really liked those treats.
Then she eventually learned that she wouldn't always get a treat but would go out. Often though when we sat down for a meal she'd ring the bell in hopes she'd be fed, too. That always got a laugh.

nr said:
carole3218 said:

Just hang a bell by the door but make sure it isn't a string or chain the dog could catch his nail in. Ours was on a wrought iron brace. Let him see you throw a treat outside the door. Close the door. Pick up his paw, hit the bell with it and let him out to get the treat. Repeat that a few times. He'll catch on especially if he's hungry!
At first our dog looked at us in utter disbelief like you gotta be kidding, me do that? You could actually see the rebellion! But within 1/2 hour Sneaker knew to ring the bell because she really liked those treats.
Then she eventually learned that she wouldn't always get a treat but would go out. Often though when we sat down for a meal she'd ring the bell in hopes she'd be fed, too. That always got a laugh.

By golly, I am going to get me a bell tomorrow and try this. Rita has been hell on wheels todays, I guess she knows it is her birthday. Goodnight folks and thanks nr

hun shes only 4 months old!! LOL!!!! you have to give her time. all dogs do their on thing on their own time. i have an aussie that is 11 weeks old and she thinks she is the biggest baddest dog out there. (even though my cat beats her up) LOL. and some dogs no matter what the breed just wont bark or gaurd or even be mean. you want my advice on what kind of dog will bark to let u know people are there get a chiuaua (dont think i spelled that right) but they bark at every thing and i have only met one nice one and i work in a vets office! LOL. well good luck with her

erin

carole3218 said:
3 miles south of us, a 79 year old farm woman had her throat slit by some gang guy over $8000.00 worth of jewelry.

I forgot about that. It scared the crap out of me. It's about 8 miles from our place. My dog has never shown any signs of being a good watch dog. I do think that he'd kill someone if they tried to hurt his mom, I hope.... :?

Buckerette said:
carole3218 said:
3 miles south of us, a 79 year old farm woman had her throat slit by some gang guy over $8000.00 worth of jewelry.

I forgot about that. It scared the crap out of me. It's about 8 miles from our place. My dog has never shown any signs of being a good watch dog. I do think that he'd kill someone if they tried to hurt his mom, I hope.... :?

Steve used to auctioneer for Kreps Weideman and Terry Weideman was the one who got the reward to $25, 000.00 and it did not take long for someone to turn the gang killer into the authorities.

Rita has come a long way, she barked to get out yesterday and she now speaks for a treat. I think she will be fine as she ages to let me know when someone is in the yard.

Have a great weekend!

Steve is having a big auction on Sudnday at 10:00 AM with lots of good stuff on it plus he will auction off a house and land at !:00 pm. This is at Eaton if you around the area.

carole3218 said:
Buckerette said:
carole3218 said:

Steve used to auctioneer for Kreps Weideman and Terry Weideman was the one who got the reward to $25, 000.00 and it did not take long for someone to turn the gang killer into the authorities.

Rita has come a long way, she barked to get out yesterday and she now speaks for a treat. I think she will be fine as she ages to let me know when someone is in the yard.

Have a great weekend!

Steve is having a big auction on Sudnday at 10:00 AM with lots of good stuff on it plus he will auction off a house and land at !:00 pm. This is at Eaton if you around the area.

Just got back on the board today. How did the Auction go? Terry at KW was the one that had our land listed when we bought it.

It went really great for Steve, 2 rings went all day from 10 AM till 4PM. Steve worked for Kreps Weideman for 5 years before going out on his own with his own Auction Company. The house and land did not sell but the electrical business supplies/equipment/ household/vehicles went really well with a big crowd. Thanks for asking! :D

Latest posts