• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

We are watching 100 Days of Rodeo in 100 days on the Cowboy Channel

Help Support Ranchers.net:

We are going to Pendleton tomorrow. We will be in the blue seats just to the right of the roping chute. I sure hope Cody n Nancy aren't there. But the whole arena is surrounded with bars so if he is there we know where he will be. And I won't be going to the bar so I guess I will be safe.
I looked up the day sheet. I picked the Wright day to go. The saddle bronc riding reads Wright, Wright, another Wright, plus a Wright, and oh there is another Wright. I do wish we were going to be closer to the bucking chutes.

Catching a bit of it tonight. The Indian Relay was on then a load of pellets came in. I got in 2 hours later and the Indian relay was on another heat. Now the bulls in there plastic fence arena. Crazy

We got home and watched the rerun of Pendleton. Saw ourselves several times. It was a good experience but the viewing is better on TV. We were just off what would be the headers box. But that puts the bucking chutes a long ways away. The arena is 5 acres. The pickup men had better be pretty darn well mounted. They ran through the cowboys sitting on the grass a time or two. One bull knocked down about half the plastic fence.

Are you kidding me? PVC for the bull ring? The arena ropers were two mounted grown men all gussied up in Cody-approved western wear that would struggle to rope an old 3 legged goat with two-foot horns. The time wasted in between rides was just unreal and while the bullfighters were so so, the clown in the barrel was about as funny as an overfull privy.

I decided to record it all so I can scan thru it. So far the parade was the only part worth watching. Beautiful horses and the steers seemed to be in good humor this year. The Confederated tribes were beautiful as usual. I hope the Cowboy Channel shows the Indian races and Pow Wow.

It is an embarrassment when the Hermiston Farm City rodeo mutton busters make the Pendleton Roundup bull riders look like kids playing out behind the barn.
Were you watching the same rodeo as I was? That PVC fence has been used since the 70's. The vast majority of the bulls stay in it. The arena is 5 acres. That is a lot of ground to try to chase bulls to the stripping chute. Because of that they use 6 pickup men who quietly switch horse mid way through each section or broncs. I know some of those pickup men and certainly their history. They are as good a bunch of cowboys as there is. I agree the cowboys in the rough stock events are mighty slow in the chutes. But I remember how they made us go 40-50 years ago. Things do change over time. The time events can be slow too that is because it is a 5 acre arena and it can take some time to clear the arena. The bull fighters certainly aren't so so. Dusty Tukness (sp) is absolutely one of the two best bull fighters working rodeos today. I thought the mutton busters at Hermiston were an embarrassment. The bull riders at Pendleton were getting on a pen of extremely rank bulls. Many of the were NFR bulls. Bulls that have never or very rarely been riddin. Those kind of bulls don't get rode a lot. Again which rodeo were you watching?

I was watching a clip of the bull riding after the parade was over. The bull lost footing and the ride was a short one. The bullfighters did a good job of turning the bull until the rider was safe, but then the bull charged the PVC fence and sent it flying. The ropers took off after it swinging their ropes and finally one threw missing an easy catch. About that time they had one bullfighter/clown in the barrel and his joke was so far from funny (to me anyway) that I felt bad for him.

I just got back from my walk and I stopped to talk with a neighbor that follows rodeo and knows the Pendleton Roundup. He said the bullfighters enticed the bull to charge and send the PVC fence flying and also the ropers also play around and miss easy throws when they need to fill time. It was all to entertain the crowd. I did find this video of a great ride by one of the Wrights.

I am not sure if that was his ride from today or Thursday. No matter he won both the bull riding and the saddle bronc riding. I know he won both go rounds in the bronc riding. Not sure how he did in the go rounds in the bull riding but he would have placed deep in both to win the average. And of course winning both of those events he also won the All Around championship. Along with a boat load of money he won 3 saddles, 3 belt buckles, and a bunch of other prizes the rodeo sponsors give away.

I am not sure if that was his ride from today or Thursday. No matter he won both the bull riding and the saddle bronc riding. I know he won both go rounds in the bronc riding. Not sure how he did in the go rounds in the bull riding but he would have placed deep in both to win the average. And of course winning both of those events he also won the All Around championship. Along with a boat load of money he won 3 saddles, 3 belt buckles, and a bunch of other prizes the rodeo sponsors give away.
That ride must have been Thursdays because the video was posted Friday the 17th.

That ride must have been Thursdays because the video was posted Friday the 17th.
I saw it life on Thursday but we were so far from the bucking chutes and that plastic fence made it tougher to see. The broncs got out in the clear so I could see them.

Going was a nice adventure for us. But it had been a long time since I was last there. I was there in '73. Sure didn't remember much about it. Everything is terrible expensive. There is no parking. We paid $20 to park about 5 blocks away. I saw a closer parking for $40. Edna had a hotdog and small french fries, $13. Neither of us likes crowds. We decided that we will go again in another 40 + years.

Latest posts