• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Weather was too good to be true!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

North Ridge Ranching

Reaction score
We are getting it now. System coming out of Montana moving north along Sask/Alta border dumping snow and rain right now. I have never saw lightning and thunder during a blizzard like this before. We have a couple inches now and it is going to continue till tonight. We are just catching the edge. Those black calves are easy to find in the snow at least. How are the rest of you making out, especially along the border?

Temp here is still above zero (35) so we are still just getting light rain- but the temp is dropping so it may turn into snow... And WIND, WIND, and more WIND!

Looking at the radar its looking like much of this storm is falling apart as it moves east- so we may not get too much more....
Just checked the cows- and it looks like many of the calves are taking advantage of the calf shelters- and like the fresh straw I threw in this morning ...
Wouldn't even be that bad out there if it wasn't for that blessed WIND...

No snow or rain as of yet, but the wind has been blowing like crazy all day. Not calving yet so I'm sure mother nature has at least one more blizzard left in her. No matter what happens this year I don't think it can be nearly as bad as last year. I hope!

We got 3 inches last night and are getting a pretty good flurry as i type. Atleast the dang wind quit. Hope all who need the moisture get it and those who are calving don't get too much.

Yeah we sure didn't need this crap!! Not to worried about the early calves,but i bought more cows this winter that have just started calving in the last couple of weeks,now i suppose i will have to start treating for scours :mad: .It rained off and on all morning,then by 5 we had a good 1/4inch of ice on everything,and when i came in it was still snowing and we had 3 inchs of snow already.

We were bare this morning at 7:30 when kids got on the bus but are working on our second foot of snow right now. Glad we aren't calving 'til May. All the highways are closed around us (16, 41, etc).

We just got the wind and freezing rain here. Could 'kinda' see through the tractor window ice. Apparently I didn't have a bale very secure in the grapple as it came out .............onto my metal gate.
I don't envy those of you who deal with mud and slop weather like this all winter, six months of frozen ground is fine with me.
North East Saskatchewan.

RSL said:
We were bare this morning at 7:30 when kids got on the bus but are working on our second foot of snow right now. Glad we aren't calving 'til May. All the highways are closed around us (16, 41, etc).

We must of just caught the edge. The wind never got to bad and before the rain packed it down, probably about 2-3 inches of snow. Cows behaved, only three calves, 2 in the barn during the storm and one early this morning after. I was able to bed down before dark, the storm was almost over except for a couple dry snow flurries.

1st day of spring it was 5 degrees at 6Am WAS DOWN TO -1 AT 6:30 , Black Angus cow on the fight. Went up at 7:10 still -1 dragged it into the red barn and put a space heater outside the cow and calfs stall to help save it ears, it was up....oh and a red brockle faced hiefer :D

We lucked out...The bad stuff stayed west of us...Only ended up with a little rain- and wind... No snow.. Temp was 28 this morning- and all the calves that came in the night look pretty spry ( in fact one little heifer dumped me on my rear while I was trying to tag and weigh her)..

But it sounds like west up by the border really got hit... Wife talked to a friend that spent the day sticking calves in pickups to warm them up after their power went out....She said at one time they had 4 pickups running with 8 calves in them...

Latest posts