• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Western Canadian Wheat Board

Help Support Ranchers.net:

DiamondSCattleCo wrote

Its cheaper to ship raw material to the east, process and sell in their backyard than it is to process in the west, and ship the processed food to the east. Why? Because the processed food wastes more shipping space than the raw product. And who in the east wants to eat 4 day old bread?

with the unions and the railroad controlling the transportation cost of grain transportation I strongly disagree. Every year some union goes on strike between the producer and our customers costing the farmers millions. How many times a year do producers get stuck holding product because they cant get rail cars. The wheat board system binds producers to these exorbitant expenses and with no ability to hold anyone responsible! On top of that we pay freight on the dockage!!!!!
If the product was sold to the highest biddder at the farm gate I assure you the poor transportation and union issues would be remedied.

While I understand, and somewhat agree with, your point about your product being yours and you should be able to ship to where you want, that means that a few producers will have access to certain markets, while the rest are left hanging. While it may seem like those few with market access are subsidizing those without access, you fail to realize how much power there is in keeping producers banded together with a single voice.

That's business in the free market. Economics of a free market would make adjustments to land prices in the areas with poor access to markets and create opportunities in those areas for manufacturers to set up ( ie ethanol plants)

Those that are afraid of change are amazingly happy with having the cost of production higher than income. The days of taking whatever the board will give you for your product must come to an end.

...i can understand where the grain farmer that wants to sell his product in his own country should not have to grow through all the bs of buy backs or whatever the hoop is to sell to a malt plant or a processing plant...but again if your just going to market your grain to the usa or to timbuctu... the games will continue...

...i guess bmr... people can put any slant on any thing they want but to me free trade is just a myth...i wish we could get rid of this 20 and 30 month rules as i see it no more than rules to restrict trade...so what makes farmers think things would be any different...

Just my 2 cents.
It pi$$es me off like you wouldnt believe the Quebec and Ontario farmers can market their own grain and if I western farmers tries to do the same he goes to jail for it :mad:
Pierre Burton wrote a book called The Great Depression 1929 to 1939. Its a great read if you want to know why we got the wheat board. Its actually a great read for Neo-Cons who think all government is evil.
Why do all these beauracracys like the wheat board, workers compensation, Canada pension, why do they end up being so unaccountable? I think they are good ideas but then they turn to crap because they are not accountable. There main concern is there own beauracracy and to heck with their mandate.
These beauracracys have to somehow become more accountable to the people that they are sapposed to be helping. How to do this I have no idea.
I have a strong suspicion that after the wheat pool is gone that these better prices being offered to individuals right now by Americans are going to dry up.
There are no family farms really around here anymore. The 8 section guy would be the smallest. Seems like its soon going to be all corporate farmers and hutterites. Seems to me the small guy is working off farm to make ends meet and im wondering how much time he is going to have to be wheeling and dealing for a market?
I dont know much about dirt farming. Im not big on government either. But I cant help but to suspect this is just a set up.
Why cant the wheat board be revamped? Go in their and fire a bunch of the dead weight? How about elected beaurocrats? How about getting some real farmers in their running it instead of these corporate bearocrat types? How about some accountbility? If someone in charge isnt doing a good job then fire his butt and get somebody else in there.
Is there anyway the Wheat Pool could be privatised into a producer owned and controlled CO/OP?
You know the ATB and UFA where pretty good examples of provincially owned companies that did pretty good in Alberta. Why is it that every Federally owned company is always a screw up?

elwapo said:
If the product was sold to the highest biddder at the farm gate I assure you the poor transportation and union issues would be remedied.

So why do we still have transportation and union issues on non-board grains? Following your logic, only board grains should have transport and union issues. Elimination of the crow benefit was bad news for Western Canadian farmers, and now you want elimination of another treadstone of Canadian agriculture, which will have equally disastrous results.

elwapo said:
That's business in the free market. Economics of a free market would make adjustments to land prices in the areas with poor access to markets and create opportunities in those areas for manufacturers to set up ( ie ethanol plants)

Ethanol plants are setting up all over Saskatchewan as it is. Tisdale's close to theirs, Nipawin's even closer to having their plant. The wheat board doesn't stand in the way of those initiatives, and indeed have stated that direct shipments will be allowed, saving freight costs.

elwapo said:
Those that are afraid of change are amazingly happy with having the cost of production higher than income. The days of taking whatever the board will give you for your product must come to an end.

I've certainly never been afraid of change. Indeed I embrace change for the good. But I am afraid of what will happen with the board gone. Just look at non-board grains and their profitability versus board grains and their profitability. History has a tendency of repeating itself and you might be surprised at how nice it is to have a strong voice FOR producers versus several thousand silent voices against a strong Cargill or Agricore.

Rod

rod
Ethanol plants are setting up all over Saskatchewan as it is. Tisdale's close to theirs, Nipawin's even closer to having their plant. The wheat board doesn't stand in the way of those initiatives, and indeed have stated that direct shipments will be allowed, saving freight costs

you are now contradicting what you said previously

While I understand, and somewhat agree with, your point about your product being yours and you should be able to ship to where you want, that means that a few producers will have access to certain markets, while the rest are left hanging. While it may seem like those few with market access are subsidizing those without access, you fail to realize how much power there is in keeping producers banded together with a single voice.

wouldn't your stated mantra indicate that those producers beside the ethanol plant should help their comrads by paying equal freight ?????

you certainly cant have it both ways rod!

DiamondSCattleCo said:
Sure, I certainly agree with most when they say that the wheat board needs to be revamped. No doubt it does. Your point about shipping is definitely an area needing improvement. Originally, the single delivery point was developed so that high quality grains could be mixed with lower quality grains to make minimum quality requirements. Overall, it helped with price. However, with today's world of odd climates and inland terminals, I believe that appropriate blending could be accomplished closer to home. Then, for those producers who have access, such as yourself, you can at least save on shipping costs, while still maintaining single desk power. Its only fair to you.

The above is the paragraph down from that which you quoted, so I guess NO would be the answer to your question. My market access remark that you quoted was in reference to your example of special crop access, not shipping. Besides, I don't see how the two quotes from above are contradictory at all. Perhaps you would care to explain?

As I mentioned, I also feel the shipping area needs improvement, but I certainly don't feel its a good reason to completely disband the board and leave producers at the mercy of multinational companies, especially since they appear to be willing to work with producers (such as shipping to the ethanol plants, whether that comes true or not I guess we'll see). You want to save 40 cents/bushel on freight, while losing 50 cents a bushel (or more, depending on who you read) with the loss of the single desk.

Rod

So what exactly does the Canadian wheat board do for you in terms of price? If the price of wheat is $2.00 a bushel US what is it in Canada in US dollars? And how does your board aid you in the dumping of wheat in northern states? Does the board pay your freight?

Work Hard and Study Hard said:
So what exactly does the Canadian wheat board do for you in terms of price? If the price of wheat is $2.00 a bushel US what is it in Canada in US dollars? And how does your board aid you in the dumping of wheat in northern states? Does the board pay your freight?

Others could probably answer you better but the CWB does not pay the frieght the farmer does. In fact i think he would pay freight to the coast even if the CWB took it from an elevator next to the border and slipped it 10 miles south. To sell your own wheat to a processor you have to sell it to the board then buy it back. I am not in favor of the CWB but i quit growing wheat a long time ago. I would rather bale hay then farm.
Supposedly the can get a better price by controling all the wheat in western Canada and having one seller. But then the farmers just have one buyer.

IIIIII Believe Rod was wanting all cattle to go to auctions for open bidding with no contracts allowed but he wants the CWB to sell his wheat for him so he gets the same price as everybody else.

Big Muddy rancher said:
IIIIII Believe Rod was wanting all cattle to go to auctions for open bidding with no contracts allowed but he wants the CWB to sell his wheat for him so he gets the same price as everybody else.

Not quite BMR. First, I never once said I _wanted_ all cattle to go to auction, but was only throwing out a wild hair. Perhaps you need to re-read the thread?

Second, I don't grow wheat but my father and many friends do. They recognize the benefit of the board, and realize that when the board sells their wheat they get a higher price than if they were left to the devices of Cargill and Agricore.

As far as freight goes, the farmer probably wouldn't pay the freight to the final destination on an international, but rather the purchaser of the grain would. It would depend on the contract negotiated between the CWB and the purchaser. I've heard it said that the farmer will always pay freight to the border, however I haven't seen any solid numbers on this.

Work Hard, when a farmer sells his wheat to the CWB, he receives whats known as an 'initial price'. This price is supposed to be approximately what the average world wide price of wheat will be for that year minus a percentage overhead. As the CWB sells grain throughout the year, they'll receive dollar amounts over the initial price and under. At the end of the year, they average out what they received per bushel, and pay the extra per bushel to the farmer. This is of course pretty dumbed down, but you get the idea. It does not 'help dump grain into the US'.

Rod

IIIIIIIIIIIII Believe Rod said

"Rod: Outlaw direct selling to feedlots and packers. No contract purchasing. If you want to sell an animal, whether it be a fat or a feeder, good quality or poor, you haul that thing to the sale barn and you take what the market is giving that week. If you want to buy an animal to turn into a steak or to feed out, you head on in to the sale barn (or call your buyer who goes there for you. I wouldn't want the businessmen taking the chance of getting manure on their loafers"

BMR, why don't you post the link to the thread? My very first post made it clear it was only an idea that I wanted feedback on. Indeed, later in the thread I believe I even said I wasn't in favor of pure auction barn selling, at least not the way we're doing it in North America. Besides, what has this got to do with the wheat board? Can't attack my points that I'm making about board, so you attack the poster?

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo said:
BMR, why don't you post the link to the thread? My very first post made it clear it was only an idea that I wanted feedback on. Indeed, later in the thread I believe I even said I wasn't in favor of pure auction barn selling, at least not the way we're doing it in North America. Besides, what has this got to do with the wheat board? Can't attack my points that I'm making about board, so you attack the poster?

Rod

Sorry if you feel attacked by your own words. I was just pointing out the double standard you seem to have.
Since that was your post you post the link.

...there lies the battle ground bmr...most farmers in sask and man want to keep the board ...here in alta where we have been closer to alternative marketing the farmers no longer want the board expect the peace river producers...why would that be...

...then we go to our own industry the cow-calf producers would like to see testing if it would move product... after a while your arguments for not testing seems to go against the wishes of those that would like to open new markets... i sometimes have a hard time understanding how you want grain farmers to be free to market product but hold restrictions on your own...

...then we go to our own industry the cow-calf producers would like to see testing if it would move product... after a while your arguments for not testing seems to go against the wishes of those that would like to open new markets... i sometimes have a hard time understanding how you want grain farmers to be free to market product but hold restrictions on your own...

Blackjack, some on here have taken a position on a subject and will not back down from it right, wrong, or indifferent, come hell or high water.

Sadly, it works the same way in the "Off Internet" world too.

We all need leaders who can see both sides of an argument and go with what best suits your organization.

It takes a big, big man to admit that other alternatives might have been best.

Well im just in here having lunch when low and behold they annouced on the radio<AM770> that the Wheat Board has just cut over a half a million dollars in special checks. These checks are for the wheat boards beaurocrats and the reason for the checks is because of all the stress they are under because of Harpers Conservative government!
Honest to God im not making this up!!!!!!!!!!
Really they are taking money from farmers at Christmas time to give to these sniveling servents because they are under stress!!!!!! :shock:
Just my oppinion but F-The wheat board :mad:
Time for it to go! Maybe these laid off Wheat Board workers can get a job in Ottawa :lol:

Grain farmers can afford to give a little more of their hard earned money to the wheat board bureaucrats. Sounds like the wheat board is making lots of money for them........ And keeping the free market boogie man away.

elwapo said:
Grain farmers can afford to give a little more of their hard earned money to the wheat board bureaucrats. Sounds like the wheat board is making lots of money for them........ And keeping the free market boogie man away.

According the the Chairman of ADM, there is no such thing as a free market in the grains.

Blackjack. I'm not in favor of blanket testing . That said I did support the CBEF motion to test market tested OTM beef. So that said I was for trying the alternative.

Latest posts