• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What a nightmare

Help Support Ranchers.net:

WyomingRancher

Reaction score
My friend's cattle are on an allotment in this area tonight... what a nightmare. December can't get here soon enough.

Expanded Code Red - Immediate Evacuation Notice

Incident: Squirrel Creek Wildfire
Released: 58 min. ago

Urgent Code Red Evacuation Update - The Albany County Sheriff's Office has issued an expanded Code Red Immediate Evacuation Notice:

- This is a code red immediate evacuation notice for all residents from Jelm Mountain on the south, north along Sheep Mountain and all the way to Highway 130.

- This includes the west side of Highway 230 and Sheep Mountain, up to Lake Hattie.

- The Squirrel Creek Fire is advancing quickly. Please advise your neighbor if you have time. Please remain calm and aware. Your evacuation point is the Albany County Fairgrounds. Please refrain from calling dispatch.

- Refer to previous announcements for other evacuation notices.

I drove past Woods Landing on Saturday toward Laramie at around 1:30 or 2:00. Didn't see any sign of fire but did see what appeared to be some of the first responders driving south. Made my gut churn as I watched them go, that's for sure. Doggone bad summer if there ever was one.

Our hearts sure go out to ya'll! A fire south of us called the Clay Springs fire is at 94000 acres. Won't know the loss of cattle til they get into the canyons when the fire is better contained. Stay safe and keep a good attitude. It'll rain.

The Jacknife Fire here a few years ago the cowboys said it was scary herdind cows under burning crown . Hear there a big old fashion roundup at Wheatland in front of the Aprapho fire.

Are you helping them gather? or can they even get in there? Be careful. Praying for rain for you!

This is by no means anything even close to those big fires, but in last
nights storm, 11 fires were spotted in the county. The volunteer firemen
were all out of trucks so many were out in the country on the fires. :shock:
Luckily, enough rain came with it to put the fires out, that none grew much
larger. There wasn't much thunder and lightening, but what lightening
strikes hit the ground started fires. The sky was real red to the west,
I don't know what happened that way. Scary times.

I pray the big fires are contained with no more loss of life and/or property.

Cant even imagine , heres hope that you will get a 7 day rain . Ive been through severe drought but to be burnt out too ..I pray it rains.

Prayers sent heavenward for all cowmen and farmers who are being hit with this heat, drought and fire-damage.

Truly, we are all being 'tested'.

We must not falter, or give up.

We have many mouths to feed, and many miles to go before we sleep.

Last night on the news they said that in the Westren part of the US there was like 54 fires burning. Not sure if that number is right or not. On the map showed like 20 fires burning in Utah alone. Is that right Leanin'H? Bad deal for everyone.

tenbach79 said:
Last night on the news they said that in the Westren part of the US there was like 54 fires burning. Not sure if that number is right or not. On the map showed like 20 fires burning in Utah alone. Is that right Leanin'H? Bad deal for everyone.

Let me count.... :( Clay Springs 102699 acres, Pole Creek 2028 acres, Wood Hollow 47387 acres, Rosecrest 611 acres, Seeley 33410 acres andChurch Camp 5950 acres. Plus a bunch of "small" fires, Throw in the fact that Ely, Nevada which is west of us has a couple big fire going and i think i'd make a fine smoked ham by the weekend! :shock: :? It can always be worse though and the Good Lord will send the rain in His own due time. :D

Nicky said:
Are you helping them gather? or can they even get in there? Be careful. Praying for rain for you!

They aren't allowed up there, not even to try and cut fences. It's very depressing, and another fire apparently has just been reported southwest of here, a lot closer. I'm moving equipment down into meadows, have the horses in, trailers hooked up, and valuables by the door. I moved some of our cattle out of thick timber, and into a bit more accessible pasture yesterday. The forest cattle are on their own. There is absolutely nothing else we can do to prepare, I guess just accept and deal with whatever heads our way. I should have known the calf under the boulder was a sign...! Stay safe everyone, it's very dangerous out there.

WyomingRancher said:
Nicky said:

They aren't allowed up there, not even to try and cut fences. It's very depressing, and another fire apparently has just been reported southwest of here, a lot closer. I'm moving equipment down into meadows, have the horses in, trailers hooked up, and valuables by the door. I moved some of our cattle out of thick timber, and into a bit more accessible pasture yesterday. The forest cattle are on their own. There is absolutely nothing else we can do to prepare, I guess just accept and deal with whatever heads our way. I should have known the calf under the boulder was a sign...! Stay safe everyone, it's very dangerous out there.

If you get in a bind, you call me and i will bring a truck and trailer and come at a high lope! I am dead serious! Stay safe and we are thinking of you!

435-830-2353

I might be farther then H is, but we have horses in, and the trailer isn't far away.

402-389-2007

Thank-you everybody for your offers of help. We're still just fine, but are trying to anticipate and be prepared for what could happen next. The forecast has rain in it, let's hope they're right!

You Ranchers.net neighbors are the best! :D

Just got news, the newest fire, thought to be southwest of here, is actually located a lot farther away than originally thought. It's still terrible news, but at least not as critical for this area as originally thought. It's so smoky, it's hard to see new fire smoke, let alone tell where it's coming from. The best chance for rain we've had all summer is forecasted for later in the week, hopefully that will change a lot of people's situations for the better.

WR, our daughter has a friend at Laramie and he told her that a fire
started near there last night and had burned 1000 acres, by this
morning it had grown to 84,000 acres. :shock: That hardly seems
possible, had you heard anything about it?

Stay safe and keep us posted as to what's going on with you. WE CARE!

Fontenelle Fire

Wildfire

Bridger - Teton National Forest

Active

20 min. ago

Squirrel Creek

Wildfire

Medicine Bow National Forest & Thunder Basin National Grassland

Active

57 min. ago

Bear Cub Fire

Wildfire