• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What are you doing for Thanksgiving?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Rowdy Ranch

Reaction score
We will stay close to the place and I will fix a evening dinner and neighbors are coming over. Lots of blessings again to be thankful for!
Not to my likings,but the boys and husband want a turkey and a ham(say we never eat anything besides beef so want a change for a couple of days) okay,I guess. Other than the meat it will be simple-everything I can make ahead I will .Like crockpot potatoes and pies. But, you know what,I have to get to the grocery store before any to this can happen-today hopefully. A VERY HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all of you!!

Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone.

tomturk.jpg

Hubby helped me make some pies and sandtart cookies yesterday which was funny. He believes in measuring. Verrrr-y care-ful meas-ur-ing.

Hoping all of you have a wonderful day.

Hafta get busy this evenin and make about 8 dozen cookies, one peach cobbler, two apple pies and a couple punkin pies, dressin, and mashed taters. Tomorrow, will go eat at Mr.Lilly's work get together. Then Thursday we'll be combining cooking among aunts uncles, mom n dad (Mr.Lillys) brother, sis n law, neices and nephews, ..the whole bunch is gettin together. Woo Hoo gonna be some good eatin.
Lots to be thankful for too. We all get busy doin our daily thing, but we need to remember to be thankful for all the good things that have come into our lives. God, Family, friends, neighbors. And the good fortune to be able to do what we love.

reader (the Second) said:
Eleven family members and best friends. Large menu. Much cooking, much eating, much sleeping off the turkey trephtophan. Smoked turkey, two kinds of mashed spuds (1 w/garlic; 1 w/fresh rosemary), roasted root veggies, baby romaine salad w/pepitas and cranberries, candied yams, various sparkling juices (non-alcoholic), vino, the regular pumpkin and pecan pies, stuffing (I asked for chestnut but I'm not making it so can't call the shots), chocolates, olives, pickles, smoked salmon brought from London, and so on.

Why am I listing this - it has to be kosher and so I'm making all of this without a trace of dairy - no real whipped cream, no milk, no evaporated milk, no butter no milk chocolate :cry: :cry: Shopping was a b***h. I bet no one even knows what "parve" margarine is but it was the very last of 20 types of margarine I studied the boxes of.

Just curious: can't you still add whipped cream after it is all cooked and still stay kosher? What if the whipped cream came in a can brought in the front door by someone other than the cook and didn't go in the kitchen?

Happy Thanksgiving to all :D Montana Cowgurl is going to shoot us one of those turkeys sw posted above and we'll have it for thanksgiving plus mashed potatoes (yukon gold from the garden) gravy, broccoli casserole, homemade rolls, punkin pie from punkins from the garden. There's just the three of us so I don't want to make too much :???: Have a great day, all and it is a good day to appreciate what we do have.

Hanta Yo said:
Happy Thanksgiving to all :D Montana Cowgurl is going to shoot us one of those turkeys sw posted above and we'll have it for thanksgiving plus mashed potatoes (yukon gold from the garden) gravy, broccoli casserole, homemade rolls, punkin pie from punkins from the garden. There's just the three of us so I don't want to make too much :???: Have a great day, all and it is a good day to appreciate what we do have.

Wish we could slip down and join you but have to be in Regima the next day for Agribition. Have a Great day and God bless.

Hanta Yo said:

ahha, maybe ur gonna have broccoli casserole, im not gonna, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gross!!!!!!!!! lol :lol:

Right before we eat the turkey and fixin's, we'll remember those on duty somewhere (anywhere), who are protecting our right to be (thankfully) free to do so.
Happy Thanksgiving to all; from our little corner.

Montana Cowgurl: you say the exact thing my boys say about Broccoli & rice casserole! Maybe NOT! I thought about making one,but see what I get done! Have a great and blessed Thanksgiving Day!

nr said:
Eleven family members and best friends. Large menu. Much cooking, much eating, much sleeping off the turkey trephtophan. Smoked turkey, two kinds of mashed spuds (1 w/garlic; 1 w/fresh rosemary), roasted root veggies, baby romaine salad w/pepitas and cranberries, candied yams, various sparkling juices (non-alcoholic), vino, the regular pumpkin and pecan pies, stuffing (I asked for chestnut but I'm not making it so can't call the shots), chocolates, olives, pickles, smoked salmon brought from London, and so on.

Why am I listing this - it has to be kosher and so I'm making all of this without a trace of dairy - no real whipped cream, no milk, no evaporated milk, no butter no milk chocolate :cry: :cry: Shopping was a b***h. I bet no one even knows what "parve" margarine is but it was the very last of 20 types of margarine I studied the boxes of.

Just curious: can't you still add whipped cream after it is all cooked and still stay kosher? What if the whipped cream came in a can brought in the front door by someone other than the cook and didn't go in the kitchen?

Can't mix dairy and meat in same meal. If you eat meat for a meal, can't have any dairy for 3 hours afterwards. I bought non-dairy whipping cream. Boy I bet that is healthy :( That's what it means to be pareve - not meat and not dairy - so I have pareve margarine, whipping cream, and creamer (for the pies). Also I'm using kosher bouillion and pareve margarine for the mashed potatoes. My kids are laughing because we're mixing up our two cultures -- DAR and Jewish -- for the first time on a holiday. I would have gone for all dishes that didn't call for dairy but my daughter is a major traditionalist.
In three hours I would be digging out the ice cream. :lol:

Here's some of the neighborhood flock that seem to get away
every year!

3turkeys.jpg

2turkeysfrontyard.jpg

1turkeys.jpg

Despite that, we are having 10 folks for dinner! Happy Thanksgiving
to all! :D

Hey, sw-hanta-cowgurl.....what time's dinner????? :wink: :wink: :wink:
Unfortunately, we will be travelling about 50 miles north of here to Belgrade ( a suburb of "Bozangeles") to be with the hubby's family...should be about 30 or so people there.....all fo them are simply wonderful, God-fearing and loving....except the mom-in-law (who can be just plain NASTY at times :roll: )but the hubby and his siblings (7 out of the 21) make it very worth it!! I hope each and every one of you has a VERY safe and wonderful Thanksgiving!!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to our Ranchers.net family....we're headed down to Mr. TTB's folks (about 400 yards, if that!) and will have the meal and festivities with his folks, grandparents, brother and his family (wife, four boys) and sister (her hubby won't come :( and her two boys) so we'll have a heck of a time, and I bet "Grandma" is singing a happy tune because three of her four kids will be home!

May you all have a blessed holiday, and please keep our troops and veterans in your thought and prayers!

Here's to the Broncos whoopin' the Cowboys too :wink:

Cheers,

TTB

Over the river and through the woods to Grandmother's house we go... I guess that should be, down the highway and across the prairie. Anyway, I've got five of our six kids and their families and extended families, my mother, sister, a couple aunts and assorted cousins coming for a late dinner, somewhere between 30 and 40 all together.

Youngest son has to work, which is okay with him because it means triple over-time pay and number 1 son and number 5 son are hauling the last load of alfalfa bales home this morning for the lambing shed next spring.

Our doctor daughter and her doctor husband are driving from Minnesota with their kids and her mother-in-law and number 4 son and his family are driving from Wyoming. Both of these have new babies, so Grandma is looking forward to getting a little sugar from these sweet tykes.

Got the beef roasting, pies and buns made, beans are cooking and the cranberry sauce and salads waiting in the fridge. Sure a lot to be thankful for at our house.

Happy Thanksgiving and don't forget to thank God for our young people fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan. Here is a nice site I got from a soldier friend recently returned from Iraq:
http://www.wtv-zone.com/Mary/THEWRONGARMY.HTML

After reading Liberty Belles post our 10-15 people will seem lonely in comparison...Everyone coming here- all the kids can make it this year- Bobbie is cooking up the turkey the hunters gave us, and I see the cupboards are covered with rolls and buns- saw a big stack of Lefse in the fridge...I already corraled the horses, so the grandkids can catch up theirs and have something to do- altho their is a little nip in the air- still only about 25 degrees...

But definitely a day to be Thankful for...

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving everyone :) :) It's a foggy frosty day here, still only 26 so don't know if it'll burn off or not. Since it's too nice in Alberta for Greg to post frost pictures here are some.

Bushes in the yard
frosty.jpg

Frost.jpg

Frosty horse
Hannah.jpg

Happy heifers eating their Thanksgiving meal
hiefers.jpg

We thought it was just going to be the two of us here, but our nieghbor invited us over so I just had to make an apricot cobbler, and will take the ice cream maker along. Hope you all have a great day and enjoy your blessings!

PS - OT, I love lefse, haven't had any for ages, save me some :p

Latest posts