• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What did you always want to be when you grew up?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I always wanted to be an archaeologist. Playing in the dirt discovering untold treasures. Never got an education past grade 12, just about didn't get that! Well, I'm playing in the dirt now, but as a farmer's wife. Would I trade it for being an archaeologist? Somedays ........ hell yeah!

I guess all my life I've wanted to do what I'm doing now-- raise good cows, good horses, good dogs.... Grew up with a farming/ranching operation that when I was ready for it, it wasn't ready for me- already supporting 3 families with little opportunity to expand...Spent the next 40 years working/paying for that opportunity...A couple years cowboying for $450 a month also convinced me that wasn't for me- so after college and I'd hung up my bronc saddle- I accidently fell into law enforcement which allowed me to live the life many kids dream...

As I told my wife- if I die tommorrow, I have no regrets, as I've got to do many things that many kids dream of doing...Besides having found the perfect wife-over the years, I've been a cowboy, bronc and bull rider, policeman, Sheriff, Detective, fireman, brand inspector, EMT- ambulance driver, and now I even get to set on the bench and make the crooks jump thru the hoops and give speeches to the young lawbreakers :wink: ....

And now after 40 years of living on and working/investing back in the place I own it and can do what I started out to do- raise good cattle, good horses, and good dogs- with the addition of raising good kids and good grandkids.....

And Jigs- I agree with you wholeheartedly about the dairy...Back in the 50's and 60's Dad ran a dairy/feedlot operation with 2 of my uncles, along with the beef cows and horses- and dairying would be about my last choice of jobs ever- feedlot operation would be second worst... You almost have to live with them night and day.....

When I was younger there was nothing particular I wanted to be. I've succeded wonderfully!
:lol:
The rest of my life I want to be a good husband and a good daddy and grandad. What I'm doing doesn't matter much. I can enjoy doing several things as long as there is a challenge to it.

Well at 2, I started drawing this bizarre symbol on ever piece of furniture we owned. I believe my poor mother thought I was possessed by the devil. Ironically it is my brand. Also at 2 I started hand feeding all of the neighbors horses, and was glued to them from sun up til sun down.

Then we moved into the evil city at age 15 at which point life flipped upside down and I went to college. Gonna do the Psychology degree. At 18 I changed gears and finished up with a Masters in Counselling instead. Of course this wasnt what I wanted to do and no one in their right mind is going to hire an 18 year old. So Again I changed gears started grooming dogs and riding ponies again. Still dreaming about a ranch but never quite getting there. Then at 30 things changed again and well I got the best job ever. Being a mom!!! At 37 a wrench once again got into the mix and I found myself heading full speed toward a divorce. Interestingly the last faze has allowed me to fill my lifelong dream. I get to play with horses all day, counsel folks with disordered eating on my own schedule and then play with, my son when he gets home from school and things are amazingly good. As soon as I find a home in Sask to call my own the dream will become a reality :) Things are pretty darn good! Dreams do come true you just might travel a few roads to get there :)

My neice is EXACTLY how I was, so Emily why are you crying... "Thinking about horses" They are sooo beautiful, so Emily why are ya smiling "Thinkin about horses....

A game ranger or cattle rancher, the cattle won, as I could be my own boss and wildlife management had become an integral part of ranching by the time I went to college.

I wanted to do and be about everything. That was what was so cool about growing up here on this ranch. We had milk cows when I was a kid and Dad did some farming. We built lots of stuff so I got a taste of working with wood and welding and lots of other stuff. I found out I didn't like farming or working on machines very well. Oil is hell on my skin. And I don't care to milk cows. I hate chickens and ain't fond of pigs.

I love horses and I like workin' cows and outsmarting them!

The beuaty of it is, I'm still trying out new things and havin' a blast. If you'd have told me as a kid that someday people would pay me to cowboy, sing songs, play guitar and build saddles, I would have laffed my butt off. But now they do and I enjoy it. None of it pays real good, but it's all fun.

And now I've been learning to run a backhoe, a trachkhoe (their the best) and how to tear down great big buildings. Now, if somebody would just let me run a crane, I'd be happy! :D

As for growing up, I don't think I ever have. Lifes too short to be an adult. But everybody ought to be responsible.

Matter of fact, I was more of an ol' stick in the mud, old fogey in highschool than I am now! I was like Soap and wore my boots and hat. Hell, I still wear my hat when I'm runnin' a 'hoe! Or building a house or shed. They fit better on me than caps and I don't trade one off for a hat in the winter. Just put my earflaps on my hat. Felt is way warmer than wool!

I've always been proud of who I was and where I come from. I still am. I like to have fun and don't think work has to be boring. Matter of fact, if it's boring, I don't do much of it!

Me and my grandkids are going to have a blast! I just love cartoons and toys!:lol:

I wanted to be a rockstar in New York City, then fail and come back to be a ranch wife out there helping like my mom. I found out I didn't have to do the failure part... love the ranchwife bit enough to do a town job for awhile to make sure the rest will succeed. Now I even get to do it where I grew up, cant tell you how I reacted when the folks first called a couple years back asking if we might be interested in maybe someday considering it. I couldn't even talk or react. just completely....wow, overcome I guess. Special feeling, very exciting, and a little heart wrenching over the last couple months (something so great can have it's horrors too :? )

I'm never gonna grow up~! I will say tho i have had a chance to reinvent myself every 4 or 5 years. I grew up ranchin, so i got in my share of farming and chasin cows, I played football in high school.. that cured my urge to join the NFL, I joined the Marines right outa high school.. that cured me of wanting to be a hero of some sorts, I shod horses for a few years, that cured me from wanting to be a public servant, I went back to cowboyin and worked cowcamps, and guided hunters in the fall and winter... cured me from wanting to be a big game hunter. Now I drive truck.. ive been over the thrill of doing this job for a long time now,, Im thinkin its time to move on to a new profession.......HUGH HEFFNER... move over~!!! Its My trun to run PLAYBOY magazine :D

You know when I posted greg said he was NEVER going to grow up,I thought YUP just my luck to get the only Cowboy-male in the world that wasn't ever gonna grow-up. :? NOSIRRYBOB...looks to me like ranchers.net is full of them :p

WestRiver Cowgirl said:
I keep getting that question now that I'm almost done with college. Most people don't understand why I want to go back to ranching, but then they don't appreciate the same things I do. I will probably work somewhere else in the agriculture industry for awhile after school, but I plan on getting back to the ranch and cattle business somewhere down the road. I don't know that I ever thought about ranching for a profession when I was little, but being away from the ranch during college sure has put things into perspective! :)

Been a "town" girl all my life, never lived in a city always wanted to be a rancher's wife (to my family's chagrine) and am now and love my life.

Have a Bachelor's in Agriculture, a Master's in Animal Science, have used everything I've learned here. Love it. 8) 8) 8)

I wanted to be a clothes designer. I do sew.... Still would love to own my own little woman's clothes shop..........
One of my dreams and as Dr. Butlers says I'm running out of time, is show my horse in a big quarter or paint show....

I wanted to be a Safety for the Dallas Cowboys.......

All my life, cattle and horses have drawn me. I have had lots of opportunities to do other things, but raising Beef that people rave about (I know because I sell direct) is about the third most rewarding thing there is and the feeling it gives me would be enough for most folks...Second most rewarding thing is having a connection with a horse....Most rewarding thing is being my Wife's husband...She is the grandest thing God ever put on this earth,

Just my thots,

PPRM

I always wanted to ranch, and I am. Of course I never figured it would be strictly to keep the banker happy! :shock: :shock: :D

I grew up the Laughing Stock because I wanted to be a Cowboy :cboy:

How many time I've heard:
Every Kid Whan's to be a Cowboy! :cry2:

Became an Electrican to Pay For My Cowboy Ways :!:

Funny Thing - Most of my school frriends are Cowboys Now :roll:

I got the Last Laugh :) :)

montana cowgurl said:
then i wanted to be a lawyer, and i still do...and specialize in agricultural cases, defending ranchers and such.

This is an old, old thread I know, but to comment very late, no you don't.

I am a lawyer, and once you are a lawyer, you will never be looked at as anything else by anyone else.

And don't fool yourself, you work where the work is, and there's not much work in agricultural cases.

The only reason to be a lawyer is because you want to be a lawyer. Any other reason is based on an erroneous assumption of some kind.

katrina said:
I wanted to be a clothes designer. I do sew.... Still would love to own my own little woman's clothes shop..........
One of my dreams and as Dr. Butlers says I'm running out of time, is show my horse in a big quarter or paint show....

Interesting that this thread was brought back up.
Look what you said in 2006, katrina.
Now, YOU'VE DONE IT!!! How good does that feel?????

In my case, the funny thing is that being a rancher is what I always wanted to be. But I was much more realistic about my chances when I was younger, and so I've been a bunch of different things over the years, and a lawyer and part time rancher the last 20.

Looking back, my realism was a mistake and I should have come straight on ranching or working on ranches when I got out of school. I never got over what I always wanted to do, and not being able to do it full time has been very hard.

This was great to read after so many years.
YEAH Katrina you DID IT
NR I forget is that stud Yours or stuckys....but your horses are running with thiers

I along with many others are proud of both of yall for reaching yalls dream....now how about an updated list?

shoer is less than 5 months away from owning his truck...still wants to be OUT of the truck LOL he will settle for being home a couple nights a week.

Me well I have reached owning my own horses again...standing on my own two feet. Now I am working on getting some chickens and a milk cow. I want to have a couple cavles to have meat. I know I do want to be Lt at work but not for atleast a year....LOVE the overtime pay I get now.

OK how about the rest of yall?????

Latest posts