• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What did you always want to be when you grew up?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I've always wanted to be a rancher or a farmer. I work on a farm right now and am looking for a job on a ranch.

The only thing I can remember wanting to do growing up was become a World Champion Header. I started roping steers at the neigbors roping club when I was 6. I started heading steers when I was 8. At that young age I was extremely focused. I don't remember a set time that I roped a dummy, but I would rope until I could rope that dummy 100 times in a row without a miss. Sometimes it was the first 100 loops, sometimes it was all afternoon. I was fortunate enough to have a good mentor, Paul Cleveland, he helped me a ton when I started heading steers. Somewhere in there I spent an afternoon with Bronc Cury. My dreams where kind of shattered when my dad told me I didn't have the talent, when I told him I wanted to rodeo. Without any support I didn't pursue it. I always wanted to ranch, but was always told there was no future in it. After going to school to be a diesel mechanic, I worked a couple of years and then moved back to the Sandhills. I have ranched for the past 10 or 11 yrs. Now I order buy and day work. My wife and I own some cows and continue to try and buy some every year. I finally decided that the worst that could happen is to have to go back to work for someone else. Every opportunity that I have found I have at least asked about, some that weren't even opportunities I have pursued. You never know unless you ask. I guess my goal in life is to present my kids with the opportunity to do whatever they want to do with their life and pursue their dreams full heartedly. Being a father and a husband has surpassed anything that I have ever imagined accomplishing in my life. Now all I have to do is figure out how to put my 4yr old through medical school and pay for a ranch so she can be a cowgirl doctor. :D Thank God our son, James, at 2 just is happy being James and our youngest, Addie, isn't old enough to talk yet.

Good thing I haven't grown up yet. I'm still a pipeline operator. Haven't even got to be a parttime cowboy in years. There's still a chance.

Latest posts