• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What do you call a farmer

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Recently I helped a ranch spay some heifers. The vet was from Wyoming. He kept asking where the the line that seperated cowboys from farmers was. Nebraska is pretty diverse so that is a hard question to answer. While we were working I needed some WD-40 for something and asked if there was any. The vet quickly replied that he had some John Deere lube in his equipment box. I quickly told him that he had found the line, that no respectable cowboy would ever carry John Deere lube. Maybe you had to be there, but it was pretty funny, I really caught him off guard.

I am east of the mighty mississippi river and own a farm so I say that makes me a farmer. Oh I wear knit hats in the winter and baseball hats in the summmer. :D :D

flyingS said:
I will leave it up to my peers to decide what I am, it matters not to me I have been called both. I would have to see a persons operation to decide whether I thought they were farmers or ranchers. The one thing that is certain is I know some really good farmers that are a damn sight better cowman than some ranchers I know. I also know some ranchers that have done nothing else their whole life and you could never tell by looking at their operation. I guess I would have to say that I am a put your money where your mouth is type of person, I am probably not the best at anything but can do about everything, I call it like I see it and try not to judge anyone.

:agree: :agree: :tiphat: :tiphat: :clap:

I was talking to that which I was speakin of littlejoe, but I'm proud to hear from the better than thou pew.

Perhaps they ought to name this place Sanctimoniousoverlysensitivegetmypantiesinabunchcattleproducingfarmers.net . God forbid that someone can actually take some pride in what they do and how they do it. Sure looked like the ones who wanna chime in and dispose of the labels were the ones who are having a little identity crisis. If you want to farm and ranch good for you. I'm glad for ya. Does that mean that someone else can't take a little pride for actually running a cowboy type outfit? Yeah that's right, a cowboy outfit. You know, cowboy, that's those guys that are good for ridin', ropin', and drinkin' and nothing else. I can see where you may be a little jealous, having to stay up late working on a tractor and getting grease on your new cap from the elevator and all. It took a long time for us to get where we are and have what we little we do. It's us that has to saddle a snorty bronc on a cold day. Its us that has had to put up with less than the best cattle because that's all we could afford. It was my woman that didn't complain and did what needed doin' while I was laid up with a broke back. It was us bustin our hump with another job or outside welding work just to buy enough feed to get buy. It was us who couldn't expand like we wanted so that we would leave enough grass standing to make it thru the winter. It is for reasons like this, that I feel I can choose whatever label I want for myself and this outfit. If that offends some of you tillers of the soil, well, I don't think we would have ever seen eye to eye anyhow. It seems that some of you take exception to an actual cowboy taking part in this site. And just for the record, I too have worked a lot of wild cattle in my life and have also been known to use unconventional taming methods such as a chaw of Copenhagen. Now I do believe that I will make my departure. All of the whining and sniveling seems to have curdled the whiskey in this cowboys gut. Have a nice life and by all means, please be careful on those tractors.

LazyWP said:
Ya know, I have done both, and it really makes no difference what you call yourself to me or anyone else. In my opinion, all you are trying to do is start a fight, and this thread should be moved over to the BULL session.
:agree:

BAR BAR 2 said:
Perhaps they ought to name this place Sanctimoniousoverlysensitivegetmypantiesinabunchcattleproducingfarmers.net . God forbid that someone can actually take some pride in what they do and how they do it. Sure looked like the ones who wanna chime in and dispose of the labels were the ones who are having a little identity crisis. If you want to farm and ranch good for you. I'm glad for ya. Does that mean that someone else can't take a little pride for actually running a cowboy type outfit? Yeah that's right, a cowboy outfit. You know, cowboy, that's those guys that are good for ridin', ropin', and drinkin' and nothing else. I can see where you may be a little jealous, having to stay up late working on a tractor and getting grease on your new cap from the elevator and all. It took a long time for us to get where we are and have what we little we do. It's us that has to saddle a snorty bronc on a cold day. Its us that has had to put up with less than the best cattle because that's all we could afford. It was my woman that didn't complain and did what needed doin' while I was laid up with a broke back. It was us bustin our hump with another job or outside welding work just to buy enough feed to get buy. It was us who couldn't expand like we wanted so that we would leave enough grass standing to make it thru the winter. It is for reasons like this, that I feel I can choose whatever label I want for myself and this outfit. If that offends some of you tillers of the soil, well, I don't think we would have ever seen eye to eye anyhow. It seems that some of you take exception to an actual cowboy taking part in this site. And just for the record, I too have worked a lot of wild cattle in my life and have also been known to use unconventional taming methods such as a chaw of Copenhagen. Now I do believe that I will make my departure. All of the whining and sniveling seems to have curdled the whiskey in this cowboys gut. Have a nice life and by all means, please be careful on those tractors.

Did you get your Copenhagen and your Preparation H mixed up? :shock:

Your the only one fighting your hat on this deal and walking right into what Pertnear is trying to stir up.

And as far as being a Being a "Cowboy" I know of some ranchers that are darn good cowboys and some farmers that can cowboy when they need to but I have also known some "Cowboys" that will never be the Rancher/ Cowman/ horseman/ that some of the ranchers I've known are.

You said you have welded to pay the bills at times? Well isn't that what counts in the end? Providing for your family? That's why some ranchers have to farm some ground and some farmers run some cows.

See if I can get this the way it was explained to me.

Ranch Rodeo Assn. said that if you had 350 hd of cows, you were a rancher with a ranch. Under that and you were not a rancher who could not qualify to compete in their rodeos. Now our team was just pretty damn good but we couldn't have scraped up 350 cows between us so we couldn't make the big "name ranches" look bad. Always had a bad feeling about the "horse" sales these ranchers are enjoying due to this little judgement. Not a farmer but certainly not qualified to be a rancher.

where do you ranch rodeo at in Kansas...would love to catch you out there some day....we have been to a couple, and hope to get down to Marion this year.

jigs said:
where do you ranch rodeo at in Kansas...would love to catch you out there some day....we have been to a couple, and hope to get down to Marion this year.
There used to be a really good one in Ellsworth. and Abilene was trying to get one started when we left Kansas. Dodge City has the Cowhands and Corriente's finals the 10th and 11th of September.

BAR BAR 2 said:
I have no intent of starting a fight, but the question was asked. If someone gets their feelings hurt, well too damn bad. Put your big girl panties on and buck up cupcake. It has been a general consensus for a very long time that a farmer plants and raises crops. A rancher raises beef, sheep and horses. Nothing wrong with either one, but I don't see how someone can lump the two groups together. They have never got along for any length of time and have engaged in more than a few bloody battles. A person would be hard pressed to find any two people in one of the groups who agree, much less two people from opposite groups. Yep, we have a lot of common enemies, but that don't make us the same. Look back at some of the areas that are now known for farming and you will find it was the ranchers of yesteryear who settled it first. A person can call themselves whatever they want, I couldn't care less. Just don't call me a damn cattle farmer.

On another note though, I'm glad we have farmers. They raise the some of the grub my cows eat.

Yet many call dairymen "dairy farmers". Guess it's because they not only own and milk cattle but often raise most of what they feed them. Doesn't seem to bother them at all. :wink:

Cowboy, Rancher, Farmer, Cowman, each have their own identifiying characteristics associated with their lifestyle, making the lifestyle what it is. Some are diehard _____________ (you fill in the blank), others would call themselves a blend. I know some darn good farmers, that farm to make money, that understand what it takes to make money farming. A handful of those guys are some of the smartest cowmen that I have ever been associated with. They understand what good cattle are, they uderstand genetics and they understand how to run those cattle. Kinda sounds like a rancher huh? My point in my rambling...some people believe that they are only a rancher, only a cowboy, only a farmer or only a cowman and nothing else. No problem with that in my opinion. There are those guys and gals that share some qualities from each, as in my example. No problem with those folks as well. Production agriculture needs all types, and all types share some association with each other at some point in the production process!

WYO HEELER said:
Cowboy, Rancher, Farmer, Cowman, each have their own identifiying characteristics associated with their lifestyle, making the lifestyle what it is. Some are diehard _____________ (you fill in the blank), others would call themselves a blend. I know some darn good farmers, that farm to make money, that understand what it takes to make money farming. A handful of those guys are some of the smartest cowmen that I have ever been associated with. They understand what good cattle are, they uderstand genetics and they understand how to run those cattle. Kinda sounds like a rancher huh? My point in my rambling...some people believe that they are only a rancher, only a cowboy, only a farmer or only a cowman and nothing else. No problem with that in my opinion. There are those guys and gals that share some qualities from each, as in my example. No problem with those folks as well. Production agriculture needs all types, and all types share some association with each other at some point in the production process!

Now that was brilliantly stated.

According to Soaps analagy, my cowboyn days are done. I am a rancher, and enjoy it. Some of my good friends and neighbors, for whom I have the utmost respect, are farmers. I just ain't good at crops; it ain't as much fun to me. All I can raise is a fuss with a redhead, and a soggy ol' calf.

Latest posts