• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What does it take to be a real cowboy?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Feeder,
I currently live in Iowa (Mo. Valley). Where are you at? It is fun to go to rodeos and other event just to watch them come out of the woodwork.

Lol,no Tibbs,not the short and fat little excuses for a bulldog,most of them are half pit,half yellow black mouth cur,they may only range from 40 to 60 pounds,but theyll lock on an ear and wont turn loose.And yep,ive seen an ole sow hog run off with one on each ear like ugly ear rings,but thats part of it.Some guys use other larger dogs,such as Dogo Arentino's or just big pits,but i like the half cur bulldog,because they can run 5 or 6 miles,and still have the stamina to catch and hold on...What i call a Leapord dog,is usually more than half Catahoula,and the rest one of the 4 or 5 cur breeds,especially YBMC's,and red curs,or Blue Laceys.The catahoula breed has been greatly watered down with non working dogs for awhile now,because alot of people breed for looks,instead of ability,ther are some great purebreds left,but for the most part theyre non working dogs.While Leapord dogs on the other hand,have no specific breeding,because the only people that breed them,are hog hunters,and cow hands,and they dont breed for looks,they breed for ability.So say your buddy has a fine Red cur,and you have a great Blue Lacy male,if you cross the two,youll get leapord dogs.The catahoula shows alot in most of them,with the speckles and spots,and the occasional glass eye.Like i said,go register on that hog hunting board,and ask for hunters in your area,i promise you youll find someone close...Yeah,the exotic thing isnt all its cracked up to be in my opinion.There are some places in the Hill Country,where you can shoot stuff like that that escaped and started breeding,free range.Especially Axis,and Black buck.

It is kind of a small world feeder, considering that koj is my cousin.

Hope you are doing well koj, but I wish you would share some of your moisture with us. I assume you have been getting what SE SD has gotten.

Where do you live that you had a three-day soaker.

WHAT IS A THREE-DAY SOAKER? Seems like I vaguely remember about them...

On the subject of leopard dogs, when we were in Wyoming I looked into the Catahoula's. Was really intrigued by them. I got some neat information from the ARF, Animal Reasearch Foundation. Ever heard of that organization? Seem like the guy was Dr. Art Some-thing-or-other. He called the dogs Catahoula Leopard Cow-Hog Dogs.

Several years ago, I remember hearing a story about some wild cattle on an island off the coast of Alaska. They wanted to gather these cattle and study them so tried to round them up. The only dogs strong enough to stand it, was the Catahoula. A lot of different breeds of dogs were tried, but the Catahoula stood the test. They told about a bull that jumped in the ocean to get away and one Catahoula jumped on his back and was biting the heck out of him and another swam out and turned him around and together they got him back to land. They did manage to get the cattle all gathered, but I guess I was more interested in the dogs, because I can't remember what they did with the cattle.

What Is A Cowboy/Cowgirl?
It not what one owns or how one dresses etc.

The Real Cowpersons I know have the Respect of the Real Cowboys and Cowgirls Around Them

Yes,Faster,i have heard of the ARF.Like i said, well bred leapord dogs are all heart.And i definately can believe that the dog juped in after the bull,because every once in awhile a cow,or especially a hog will try and seek refuge in a tank,or a creek,but soon realize,the only refuge is in a trailer,on a rope,or in a pen ;)

Wow! Hey "ropesanddogs," you familiar with Robert Earl's song that goes, "the road goes on forever, and the party never ends?" Well, it's been a long time since I started this thread, and there have been many great posts about someone being a cowboy. And it just seems to keep on going, which is also great.

Anybody out there want to work with me on putting together a book on cowboys and trying our hand at a little "e publishing?" This thread is certainly enough good material for a good start ("Volume One"), don't you think?

Also, I want to throw out the question, "Who is number one in your life? Is number one also the one who helps you the most in running a successful beef or beef-related business. Is your number one where you get your values in life that set your course no matter what you are doing?" I'd like for this to be part of the book, so, how about it? Any comments on this? Take care, and thanks again for all the great participation! :D

Well im familiar with the song,but im more familiar with the version by Pat Green.Great Song.Id love to help in any way i can,i cant say id be the biggest help,but id love to be part of it,ive always wanted to write a book,of course on nothing else but cowboying.Maybe i can gather some stories up outve some old cowhands?

What exactly do you mean whos your numero uno?Do you mean spousal,or?Id have to say my absolute number one ,is my lord and saviour.As far as relationship wise,im hopin to find someone that can at least ride ;) lol,ive struck out so far,ive got a ways to go though,im only 16.

ropesanddogs: "What exactly do you mean whos your numero uno?Do you mean spousal,or?Id have to say my absolute number one ,is my lord and saviour.As far as relationship wise,im hopin to find someone that can at least ride ;) lol,ive struck out so far,ive got a ways to go though,im only 16."

Good for you, R&D. You have definitely got your priorities in the right order. Don't get tangled up in double harness too quick, but pick the right Christian gal when you do. You have plenty of time ahead of you. No one would have me until my darling bride came along when she was 21 and I was 27. It has worked very well for almost 26 years. :)

Soapweed said:
ropesanddogs: "What exactly do you mean whos your numero uno?Do you mean spousal,or?Id have to say my absolute number one ,is my lord and saviour.As far as relationship wise,im hopin to find someone that can at least ride ;) lol,ive struck out so far,ive got a ways to go though,im only 16."

Good for you, R&D. You have definitely got your priorities in the right order. Don't get tangled up in double harness too quick, but pick the right Christian gal when you do. You have plenty of time ahead of you. No one would have me until my darling bride came along when she was 21 and I was 27. It has worked very well for almost 26 years. :)

Hello ropesanddogs and Soapweed! I was a little vague on purpose "ya'll," and it's great to know that the two of you have your priorities in the right order. That's exactly what I was hoping you would say, ropesanddogs, and I'm glad to know you are on the same page with us, Soapweed. I have your email address, Soap, but I don't have one for you, ropesanddogs. Do you have an email address? If you do, please send me an email from this site so I can tell you more.

You remind me a lot of myself when I was growing up in Texas and working cattle with "the best cowboys I ever saw" and a great bunch of leopard dogs. I hope we can stay in touch. I'm 64 now, and those days are far behind me, but they are still in my memory and always will be. I've been a lot of places and done a lot of things. And I'll have to say that I enjoyed most of it since I've spent my whole life in agriculture. But those cowboying days in Texas when I was your age were special, and I am forever grateful that the good Lord gave me those times. Take care, and God bless! :D

nemrancher, how does your country look now after the nice wet spring you have had? Is this year wetter than normal? If I had some time, I would love to make a swing through your area and then west through the desert regions, just to see the country so green for once. I have talked to people that say the desert is as green as you ever want to see it in AZ, and that area. Parts of Nevada is generally as wet as it gets too.

nenmrancher said:
Cowboy means never admitting your wrong no matter what.

That must be the difference between cowBOY's and cowmen. MEN know that sometimes you have to admit you are wrong. Even if you ain't! :shock: :D :lol:

cowboy; a ranch worker who rides horseback much of the time on his job of hearding and tending cattle. Websters dictionary. mrj i ment no disrespect to cowboys or ranchers.When i was young iwas acowoy for my dad and for afew years iroad for the Red Owl Ranch.At that time I worked for room and board and apaycheck.I did what Iwas told to do for as long as Iwas told to do it .We did not have 4 wheelers or horsetrailers. Now I own the ranch and I am proud to be called arancher.Ican still do cowboy work but Iam sure grateful when a well mounted bunch of cowboys show up at the branding or shipping pens. Cowboys deserve the best beer a rancher can buy.

A while back a lady Doctor from back east moved into town- I was giving her a bad time about getting her married off so she would stay-- She told me she was looking for a rich young cowboy-- I informed her that there is no such thing as a rich cowboy- if they're rich they made it some other way than cowboying...........

Rich cowboys turn into rich ranchers and they all hang out at the Metropolitan Opera House.

nemrancher, how does your country look now after the nice wet spring you have had?

All we need now is a few warm nights and the green should just take off. We are looking really good, for a change. As long as the wind dont blow too much and we can keep getting some storms in this should be the best spring in years. It has been so long that most of the cows in this part of the world have no idea that the grass is supposed to get green this time of the year, come to think of it most of the people have forgotten that too.

Latest posts