• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What happened to SH?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Tommy

Reaction score
For all the talk about registering to keep people from using aliases and profanity that Scott used to harp on, he is nowhere to be found these days. Hell, I am like rancher I don't care for this format at all, but I am at giving it a try, although I do not post as much as before.
So Scott where are you? You wanted this type of format more than most of us. :???:

Tommy,

Until this morning, I was not able to post for some reason. I think it may have been a problem with the Golden West Server.

I see the Canadian producers have been doing a nice job of keeping R-CALF less dishonest.

I have also been busy looking for my daughters car that was stolen out of our yard a few nights ago. A "94" maroon (sp?) Pontiac Grand Am 4 door SD license # 39B 404.

The whole thing is rather strange because they could have taken my 2000 Dodge sitting next to it. I didn't even get a chance to run them off the road or blow sod out from under their feet as they ran from the yard.

I had an old car I would have given them if they would have just asked. LOL!

Katrina, keep your eyes peeled please! Historically, stolen vehicles from this area have been found in your direction. I'm not jumping to any conclusions though. It could have been some drifters heading for Texas.

~SH~

Our government frequently allows Canada to hide American "thugs." Glad to have you back SH, we'll watch for your daughters car up here as well. Have a good day from Canada.

I don't expect to find it north. The tracks were heading South on the highway.

~SH~

If they steal them in Minneapolis they usally run out of gas here in Motley then they steal one hear and those are most always up at the Red Lake Indian Res. they normally burn them when they get there at least thats what happened to a friends car.

Will do SH.... You are so right.... If your car hits the rez kisser good bye. We had three patrol cars chasing one car out our way last month... Don't know why they didn't shoot their tires out. Anyway the police lost them at the old Huggins place. The big rumor hear is that a mountain lion and two cubs were spotted this week, in a 5 mile radius of us.... About a month ago ameego jumped up and started barking at the door. Totally out of charecter....He was reallly upset. Next morning the calves when I fed, were spooky as hell and the cats were all fuzzed up and nervous and wild acting..

Scott:
I know where you are coming from. I had my pickup stolen right from ,y yard last June also. I was only a few hundred yards away behind some trees working on a water lne. Didn't know it was gone until I went to get my mail. It was found at Kyle, SD about 100 miles away. No damage, still had a quarter of a tank of gas in it. But I lost 2 camerias and 2 cordless drills. One cameria was a Sony Mavica digital the other a Minolta 270X with 2 zoom lens. We know who took it, or at least one of them, but as they abadoned the pickup we don't have enough evidence to convict them.

Katrina,

I fully expect to find the car burned up or trashed.

On lions, I can't tell you how many wild goose chases I have been on involving lions. Yes, they are in the area but many of the sightings end up being something else. Domestic cats, golden retrievers, loomix tubs, water tanks, domestic sheep, you name it, I've seen it. One call was a child that was whipping a horse with barbed wire.

Keep this in mind on lions. Lions are an incredible killing machine. They have no trouble killing domestic stock and they usually consume what they eat. They are not a long pursuit animal. They are stealthy, quiet, secretive, and excellent stalkers. When they pursue they usually kill in very short order and they usually eat what they kill. They usually kill near concealment and drag their prey to cover to feed.

Most of these "cattle all stirred up" complaints are usually domestic dogs but because someone saw a lion in the area, then everyone assumes the lion caused the disturbance.

I recently heard a man speak that has 250 lions behind him and he said that he has only once witnessed where a lion had killed a mature horse.

If a lion kills a calf, it will usually be near cover, the lion will normally feed on the calf and it will try to cover the carcass with grass or ground duff after it has fed.

90% of these so called lion complaints are bogus. I have confirmed a lion track in the Wanblee area so I do know they are around.

~SH~

The thing that worries me, is that we have 4 tree rows less than 500 ft from our house and I worry about our 6 year old playing between the house and the shed, because the trees are so close. I incourage him to farm in my garden which is out in the open. What is gong to happen is Tates. Waltons, Sells, or us are going to have a tragity(sp) because we have small children... We have all seen them(cats) at some time or another, it's just a matter of time....All we get from the state is lip service and I would think that it would be better to be on a wild goose chase than have an accident...God for bide we put you guys out in making an effort. What do I tell the elderly neighbor when he calls and tells me that a cat is coming through his yard....It has happened.... You can't just blow in and expect to find some evidence.. Someone needs to spend some time in monitoring the goings on especially along the keyapaha river....

Denny Blowers said:
If they steal them in Minneapolis they usally run out of gas here in Motley then they steal one hear and those are most always up at the Red Lake Indian Res. they normally burn them when they get there at least thats what happened to a friends car.

Welcome back SH!

We had a car thief hit the ditch a couple of years ago here and he took off cross country on foot. He got to our neighbors place who has a dairy farm and ran into his manure pit, this was in mid-July and he doesn't have a fence around the pit. Must of disoriented him and he walked on by two pickups and three cars with keys in them. Crossed a large swamp and staggered into another place and stole a beater car. The car broke down 20 miles away on U.S. HWY 10 just as a cop was driving by. Must have been pretty aromatic hauling him to jail.

And all this time I thought you were giving coyotes hell and the R-Calfers a break,

Katrina: "All we get from the state is lip service and I would think that it would be better to be on a wild goose chase than have an accident...God for bide we put you guys out in making an effort."

What exactly is it that you want Katrina?

Considering the large number of mountain lion complaints that end up being everything BUT a mountain lion, considering that mountain lions have a 75 - 80 mile home range, and considering that mountain lions are protected what exactly is it that you want?

80% of the reported sightings are not lions but everything but a lion. That is a fact. Unfortunately, we have to handle every case as if it was a lion because a small percentage of them are lions which can become quite frustrating from our perspective. Someone sees a lion then everyone sees a lion when only a small percentage of them are actually confirmed.

Not too hard to tell if a lion is in the country because they are going to leave tracks. A lion track is about as big as the palm of your hand and there is 14" - 17" between tracks. The heel pad has a "W" in it just like a house cat and the claws are usually retracted. When looking at a track going through the snow at a distance it looks like a man has walked there. The tracks, when clear, are unmistakable.

The only way anyone can do anything to help you is for you to first help yourself by confirming the lion with tracks.

Nobody is turning a deaf ear towards the concerns about children but we are also being realistic about mountain lion human human encounters in areas where lions do frequent.

If you see a large cat and it can be positively confirmed with tracks, then action can be taken if the cat presents a threat.

I'm not dismissing your concern, I'm simply pointing out the realities of the situation. You need to consider things from our perspective as well.

It's a shame that so many "I saw a lion" complaints end up being bogus.

The first step is to confirm the cat and that isn't too hard to do if it's there.

~SH~

~SH~ said:
Tommy,

Until this morning, I was not able to post for some reason. I think it may have been a problem with the Golden West Server.

I'll bet that made you awful hard to live with!

SH. I will pass the word on about the tracks... And maybe we can get something done... It's very worrisome.(Is that a word?) We know their here, and an action has to be done.... Thanks ... P.S. No sign of your car yet let us know how you turn out....Sometime I'll have to share our experiance with a lady needing money to bail her brother out of jail for a funeral, but have to go my hubby rolled in with the truck and we have to change tires on the truck..... 8)

I
have also been busy looking for my daughters car that was stolen out of our yard a few nights ago. A "94" maroon (sp?) Pontiac Grand Am 4 door SD license # 39B 404.

The whole thing is rather strange because they could have taken my 2000 Dodge sitting next to it. I didn't even get a chance to run them off the road or blow sod out from under their feet as they ran from the yard.

SH, Guess you know where your Dodge stands in the Theives' Choice! By the way, we haven't seen the Grand Am in our travels South & west of Mission.
Welcome Home.

Seems so strange that many of you are reporting stolen vehicles out in God's country whereas back here in the congested crime-ridden East my husband and I cannot recall any of our neighbors/friends having cars stolen ever. It is because you leave keys in the ignition????

Stub said:
I
have also been busy looking for my daughters car that was stolen out of our yard a few nights ago. A "94" maroon (sp?) Pontiac Grand Am 4 door SD license # 39B 404.

SH, Guess you know where your Dodge stands in the Theives' Choice! By the way, we haven't seen the Grand Am in our travels South & west of Mission.
Welcome Home.

I quess even they have standards :lol:

Just headed to bed, but noticed SH doesn't have anyone to argue with as most of the posters are from Canada. :roll:

Too bad about your daughter's ride SH, I hope you recover it in decent shape. I hate to see wrongdoing hit a child. The Dodge was passed over because it likely is a diesel and harder to start and louder when started.

Kansas has the Cat discussion ongoing. Kansas fish and game denies there are any cougar n kansas, but when a rancher in the Gyp Hills shot one, fish and game showed up the next day. woops. A bus in northeast Kansas accidentally ran over and killed a nonexistant cougar, and at The University of Kansas, they dna tested scat found on west campus, it was also cougar. A year ago I helped a friend doctor a 800# colt with slash marks on both sides of its hips and ribs. I just hope some dumbass doesnt wound a cougar; then we're really imperiled.

Latest posts