• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What is the primary truck brand on your operation?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

What is the primary truck brand on your operation?

• Chevy/GMC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dodge

• Ford

• Toyota

• Other

• Total voters
I agree with gcreekrch. They are all good in their own way. When I was growing up we always had chevys. And that's all my dad still drives. He has a 2005 diesel with the Allison kind of a farmers car that just gets pulled once in a while I think is a really good pickup. He has a 2009 or 2010 regular cab gaser with a pronghorn flat bed full of tools and an air compressor and what not. It's only used for work and never gets over 15 miles from the farm. That pickup sucks!! I got in it one day to go do something. It only had about 18000 miles on it at the time. I got to where I was going and the door wouldn't open as the linkage inside had got stretched out. I went to role the window down and it wouldn't work. So later I asked dad what kind of pos was he driving and he said aww you just have to pound on the door panel to get the window to come down. :roll: Has had tons of problems with the low tire warning system. So he's got all that fixed, so the only problem it has is the dash squeaks and rattle more than my very first pickup. Which was a 1974 f150 that the previous owner coyote hunted in. :lol: Over all our family has had good luck other than this particular pickup with chevy. But I guess nothing of major importance has went wrong with it, just conveniece things. I am on my second Dodge pickup. They aren't as nice inside as ford or chevy, but I like the one I have. My first Dodge was a 3/4 ton with the hemi in it, they shouldn't put one of those in a 3/4 ton. The one I have now is the cummins, and I don't have any complaints. We thoughts about getting a Ford f 150 for my wife to drive before we had our last kid. I think they are really nice inside and tons of room in the back seat. But I know of a couple people that have the eco boost and only get about 14.5 mpg. I think if one particular brand had a dealer around that really stood out I would drive any of them. Vehicles are about like anything. You get something your familer with and you want to stick with it. Also finding a dealer you like and a salesman you can stomach doesn't hurt anything either.

eatbeef said:
got to Salina yesterday, and I have been tossing the idea of trading pickups around...looked at Ford, liked what I saw but a bit unhappy with the mileage I get from my 08...only 12-14 mpg.... neighbor has a new Dodge, getting 20-22 mpg.... several features on it that I REALLY like !! but very hard to leave my Ford

Jigs if you haven't taken off all the Emissions crap on that 08 and its a 6.4 diesel, get rid of it before you start dumping in the money. The 6.4's can have more issues than the 6.0's if you don't take that crap off. Just my opinion.
I am pretty sure this one is getting traded after harvest. not sure yet on Ford or Dodge, but that Longhorn package is pretty sweet

3 M L & C said:
jigs said:
got to Salina yesterday, and I have been tossing the idea of trading pickups around...looked at Ford, liked what I saw but a bit unhappy with the mileage I get from my 08...only 12-14 mpg.... neighbor has a new Dodge, getting 20-22 mpg.... several features on it that I REALLY like !! but very hard to leave my Ford

Did an older guy come out and meet you at the driveway when you pulled in at the Dodge dealer there? Man they are pushy at Marshall. I always drive through there whenever we are in Salina after dropping off the wife. My little boy loves to look at the Laramie Longhorns and drool and that same old man will pester us every time.

this was a younger guy. it irritates me that a guy can not drive around the lot with out the vultures flocking in on you... in Hastings a few weeks ago, we saw on coming, headed down the row, he got closer, so we drove around to another row, got out...saw him coming, went on ahead... did this about 5 or 6 times.... let him get up to us, and I told him we were window shopping... he started his speech, and I said "hold on, we are just passing through, saw the blue color I like, and wanted a vin # so Long Macarthur can transfere it to Salina.... I only buy from them. Guy was PISSED. said he spent 15 minutes trying to follow me along in the lot, I said I know, dummy.

Only thing more irritating is when nobody will come talk to you. I have been in town different times when my Dodge was in the shop and spent lots of time prowling the lots and actually interested and absolutely no one came up to see if I was interested in anything. I guess maybe that's what happens in oil patch towns where they know if you don't buy it someone else will. Soon.
:roll:

Silver said:
Only thing more irritating is when nobody will come talk to you. I have been in town different times when my Dodge was in the shop and spent lots of time prowling the lots and actually interested and absolutely no one came up to see if I was interested in anything. I guess maybe that's what happens in oil patch towns where they know if you don't buy it someone else will. Soon.

Lot Lizards seem to know Canadian ranchers don't have money. :lol:

I bought this 09 Dodge because I needed a work truck and didn't want to deal with the horse pizz in the new Ford that was available.

The Ford dealer in WL had an excellent service dept. for many years. The one problem I had with them was solved with the following story.....

In 1991 we had a year old Powerstroke that was experiencing some minor difficulty. I had gone to high school with the service manager and we knew each other well. I wouldn't have really called us friends but we got along amiably.
He was reluctant to honour what I thought was a warranty issue.......

About three months previous to this I was watching the door at one of the local dances, checking for stamps and booze not coming in. I had had a few spirits myself and the party was going high, wide and handsome when the service manager's cousin came up behind and gave me a sucker punch to the head.

Long story short, he spent a week on the couch.

The service manager knew the story and when he wouldn't go good for a $3400.00 bill I asked him nicely if he would like to take his cousin's place on the couch. Instantly, he could not see any difficulty covering the issue with warranty.

Sometimes ya just have to explain things to people.

:wink:

gcreekrch said:
Silver said:

I bought this 09 Dodge because I needed a work truck and didn't want to deal with the horse pizz in the new Ford that was available.

The Ford dealer in WL had an excellent service dept. for many years. The one problem I had with them was solved with the following story.....

In 1991 we had a year old Powerstroke that was experiencing some minor difficulty. I had gone to high school with the service manager and we knew each other well. I wouldn't have really called us friends but we got along amiably.

About three months previous to this I was watching the door at one of the local dances, checking for stamps and booze not coming in. I had had a few spirits myself and the party was going high, wide and handsome when the service manager's cousin came up behind and gave me a sucker punch to the head.

The service manager knew the story and when he wouldn't go good for a $3400.00 bill I asked him nicely if he would like to take his cousin's place on the couch. Instantly, he could not see any difficulty covering the issue with warranty.

Oh how we'd get along at a party. :nod:

Denny said:
gcreekrch said:
Silver said:

Oh how we'd get along at a party. :nod:

About everybody will listen to reason---once you get their attention.

gcreekrch said:
Silver said:

No powerstroke in 91. 94.5 and up

4Diamond said:
gcreekrch said:
Silver said:

My 1990 F-350 c/c had a Powerstroke in it. The 87 was just a 7.3 with no turbo. The 96 3/4 ton extended cab had a Powerstroke and so did the 01 F-550.

gcreekrch said:
4Diamond said:
gcreekrch said:

My 1990 F-350 c/c had a Powerstroke in it. The 87 was just a 7.3 with no turbo. The 96 3/4 ton extended cab had a Powerstroke and so did the 01 F-550.

It may have been direct injected but those trucks didn't come "factory" with a "powerstroke"

Details, details. The truck is long gone but I'm sure I remember the Powerstroke emblem on the fenders.

Not that my memory is the best. I may have a photo somewhere.

I bought a new 1990 Ford F350 diesel crew cab for family use in late summer of 1991. It had a diesel engine, but no turbo and no powerstroke. This pickup we traded off for a new 1994 Ford F350 diesel crew cab that had a turbo. In January of 1998, we traded again for a brand new 1997 Ford F350 diesel crew cab that had the Powerstroke. This pickup we still have, and it now has about 195,000 miles. We've had very little trouble with this pickup, and it can still out pull about anything around when it comes to hauling a load of cows to the sale barn. It has a five-speed manual transmission, but unless I set the cruise control, it is easy to go too fast. Even pulling a big load, I always get into fifth gear.

Here is what I found on the internet:

The 7.3L Power Stroke diesel was introduced halfway through the 1994 model year in Ford Econoline vans and Ford Heavy Duty pickups. It effectively replaced the 7.3 IDI turbo with which it shared nothing other than displacement size.

The Power Stroke is an electronically controlled, direct injection engine with a 4.11 in (104 mm) bore and 4.18 in (106 mm) stroke creating a displacement of 444 cu in (7.3 L). It has a 17.5:1 compression ratio, and has a dry weight of approximately 920 lb (420 kg). This engine produced up to 250 hp (190 kW) and 505 lb·ft (685 N·m) of torque in automatic-transmission trucks during the last years of production, and 275 hp (205 kW) and 520 lb·ft (705 N·m) of torque in manual-transmission trucks.

The 1994.5 to 1996/97 DI Power stroke had "single shot" HEUI (hydraulically actuated electronic unit injection) fuel injectors and ran a high pressure oil pump (HPOP) to create the necessary oil pressure to fire the fuel injectors. This generation of Powerstroke utilized a (HPOP) with a 15° swash plate angle. 1994.5-1997 trucks used a cam driven fuel pump, whereas the 1999-2003 trucks used a frame rail mounted electric fuel pump. The California trucks in 1996 and 1997 had split shot fuel injectors; other trucks didn't get split shot injectors until 1999. Single shot injectors only inject one charge of fuel per cycle, whereas the split shot injector releases a preliminary light load before the main charge to initiate combustion in a more damped manner. This controlled injection helps reduce the sharp combustion 'knock'.

It utilizes a single turbocharger with a turbine housing size of 1.15 A/R. In 1999, an air to air intercooler was added to cool the charged air from the turbo for increased air density. The cooler, denser air would increase the horsepower potential of the engine, while also reducing exhaust gas temperatures (EGT). Eventually, the turbine housing was changed to a .84 A/R housing and a wastegate was added. With larger injectors, the HPOP output was increased by utilizing a 17° swash plate angle to meet the requirements of the new, higher flowing injectors.

The 7.3 L DI Power Stroke was in production until the second quarter of model year 2003 when it was replaced by the 6.0L because of its inability to meet newer emission requirements. Due to its popularity, nearly 2 million 7.3s were produced from International's Indianapolis plant.

Our main truck is an "other".
1374808_10151712807779624_1227652947_n.jpg

660cc of hair raising power with 4x4 and a 6 speed.
920411_10151712808459624_1525991571_o.jpg

45mpg highway, 60mpg off road. Plated and drive to townable.
1275642_10151712809389624_621940004_o.jpg

Fantastic advertising space
882279_10151712809439624_1844360586_o.jpg

Hydraulic dump and trailer hitch.
I use the F250 to pull a 16' gooseneck with a saddle horse, but we use this little truck for everything else. The box is just as big as the F250, the fuel economy is better and it is easy to fix/maintain. And I can roll fence out from the back with my driving crew in control.
1243697_10151712808824624_201926949_o.jpg

(note the fancy stereo and I phone plug in.)

Big Muddy rancher said:
I still think one of those little cab overs would be a little hairy in these hills. :shock:
It will outgo the F250 in any terrain. It is very stable as the motor is low and centered. It is better in 2WD than the Ford in 4x4. Still won't beat the horse though.

RSL said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
I still think one of those little cab overs would be a little hairy in these hills. :shock:
It will outgo the F250 in any terrain. It is very stable as the motor is low and centered. It is better in 2WD than the Ford in 4x4. Still won't beat the horse though.

I don't doubt it will climb and get around.

It's the view from the front window that would get to some. :D :D

Soapweed said:
I bought a new 1990 Ford F350 diesel crew cab for family use in late summer of 1991. It had a diesel engine, but no turbo and no powerstroke. This pickup we traded off for a new 1994 Ford F350 diesel crew cab that had a turbo. In January of 1998, we traded again for a brand new 1997 Ford F350 diesel crew cab that had the Powerstroke. This pickup we still have, and it now has about 195,000 miles. We've had very little trouble with this pickup, and it can still out pull about anything around when it comes to hauling a load of cows to the sale barn. It has a five-speed manual transmission, but unless I set the cruise control, it is easy to go too fast. Even pulling a big load, I always get into fifth gear.

Here is what I found on the internet:

The 7.3L Power Stroke diesel was introduced halfway through the 1994 model year in Ford Econoline vans and Ford Heavy Duty pickups. It effectively replaced the 7.3 IDI turbo with which it shared nothing other than displacement size.

The Power Stroke is an electronically controlled, direct injection engine with a 4.11 in (104 mm) bore and 4.18 in (106 mm) stroke creating a displacement of 444 cu in (7.3 L). It has a 17.5:1 compression ratio, and has a dry weight of approximately 920 lb (420 kg). This engine produced up to 250 hp (190 kW) and 505 lb·ft (685 N·m) of torque in automatic-transmission trucks during the last years of production, and 275 hp (205 kW) and 520 lb·ft (705 N·m) of torque in manual-transmission trucks.

The 1994.5 to 1996/97 DI Power stroke had "single shot" HEUI (hydraulically actuated electronic unit injection) fuel injectors and ran a high pressure oil pump (HPOP) to create the necessary oil pressure to fire the fuel injectors. This generation of Powerstroke utilized a (HPOP) with a 15° swash plate angle. 1994.5-1997 trucks used a cam driven fuel pump, whereas the 1999-2003 trucks used a frame rail mounted electric fuel pump. The California trucks in 1996 and 1997 had split shot fuel injectors; other trucks didn't get split shot injectors until 1999. Single shot injectors only inject one charge of fuel per cycle, whereas the split shot injector releases a preliminary light load before the main charge to initiate combustion in a more damped manner. This controlled injection helps reduce the sharp combustion 'knock'.

It utilizes a single turbocharger with a turbine housing size of 1.15 A/R. In 1999, an air to air intercooler was added to cool the charged air from the turbo for increased air density. The cooler, denser air would increase the horsepower potential of the engine, while also reducing exhaust gas temperatures (EGT). Eventually, the turbine housing was changed to a .84 A/R housing and a wastegate was added. With larger injectors, the HPOP output was increased by utilizing a 17° swash plate angle to meet the requirements of the new, higher flowing injectors.

The 7.3 L DI Power Stroke was in production until the second quarter of model year 2003 when it was replaced by the 6.0L because of its inability to meet newer emission requirements. Due to its popularity, nearly 2 million 7.3s were produced from International's Indianapolis plant.

Thanks

I had to phone my oldest son before I would admit that I wasn't right. :lol:

I was sure there was a turbo atop the 7.3 in the 90 until I was corrected by the guy I don't argue about mechanics with. :D

As my Dad used to say, I'm not always right but I'm never wrong. :wink:

Latest posts