• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What the H... Is He Up To Now!!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

N.R that was a deja-vous moment for me.... a bull did that to me, somehow got in the round bale stack and got stuck there...... moved bales out of way {he was wedged in GOOD}... when he finally got lose man was he pissed,didn't have to use a helmet though :lol:

Ohhhh.....that was all that was wrong.....before you crawled in did you check really,really good to make sure that that black beast was really a calf and not a bear? :lol: :lol: A few years back (one of the drought years) a local guy was buying greenfeed out of your country. He was a little shocked when unrolling the bale to have a sleepy, really p****ed off yearling boar come crawling out!!! Seems he got a bearhunt, a cow roundup, a session of fence rebuilding and a news writeup all out of the same deal :!: :lol: :lol:

cowsense said:
Ohhhh.....that was all that was wrong.....before you crawled in did you check really,really good to make sure that that black beast was really a calf and not a bear? :lol: :lol: A few years back (one of the drought years) a local guy was buying greenfeed out of your country. He was a little shocked when unrolling the bale to have a sleepy, really p****ed off yearling boar come crawling out!!! Seems he got a bearhunt, a cow roundup, a session of fence rebuilding and a news writeup all out of the same deal :!: :lol: :lol:
How about a "laundry" bill from the wife, or a new pair of shorts?! :shock: :???:

DOC HARRIS

Most of my cousins have to find excuses to make their kids take their helmets off. My boy you have to fight to get his cowboy hat off. He just screams, "My cowboy Poppa!! My cowboy!!"

Had me thinking there NR. I figured the neighbours' bull fell through the ice on his way to your cows and you were gonna pull him out so you could get the satisfaction of pulin the trigger! :p :p

NR, while I was reading all this thread, a thought popped into my head. Don't take no offense, "But you might be a redneck if...." came to mind. :wink: :lol:

Shelly said:
NR, while I was reading all this thread, a thought popped into my head. Don't take no offense, "But you might be a redneck if...." came to mind. :wink: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
NR---when i first saw your pix, the first thing i thought of was "Wow!! A new referee for our high school girls basketball games!!" :wink:

Faster horses said:
Why didn't you just leave him there and test Kit Pharo's theory that cattle don't need water in the wintertime. Snow is good enough...

You need to finish the quote FH,"as long as they are just grazing and not getting hay."

Hmmm and how was the snow going to fall down between the bales with one on top-Haymaker we either use my big team of Belgians, my onre ton with a hydra-deck or I hire a neighbor with a tractor. I'm one of the few guys who really means it when he says he hates tractors-I can get all my tractor work done for a year for about what 500 gallons of diesel cost. Cowsense I already have one 7 foot bear on the wall I shot a close quarters lol. I'll have you know my daughter has a provincial champion 4H public speaking award--the topic -My Dad and his Adventures'-it might be crazy here but it's never boring lol. Shelley I think I might be a redneck for sure lol.

Jinglebob said:
Faster horses said:
Why didn't you just leave him there and test Kit Pharo's theory that cattle don't need water in the wintertime. Snow is good enough...

You need to finish the quote FH,"as long as they are just grazing and not getting hay."

Shucks, I better go tell my cows to either stop eating the hay or quit licking snow... :?

actually, we got no snow here right now either, and so far this year they are lucky enough to be on water. Most years in the past though they licked snow. Hard to believe folks would think it couldn't / shouldn't be done.

Maybe your snow has more water content than ours. Sometimes in the winter, the snow is sugary, like sand. No water content.

When we lived in Wyoming, it was a big ranch. 28,000 acres. The cattle wintered out and we noticed the cattle that didn't do good, that we had to bring in, were the ones that didn't get a good drink of water. The hair on their tail would split down the middle. Their hair would start looking real dry and their body conditon would go downhill. So we would bring them in and put them on feed and water.

Interesting that you get by okay without water in winter.

We usually get by with snow for a while this time of year, if we have snow that is.

Soft snow is a must. When it melts and re-freezes the cows can't get enough to satisfy their water needs.

I would rather they have water, but the one field 6 miles from home has the best tall dead grass each year as it is a low spot in the middle of farmland, and the water either has to be pumped or ice cut each day. If that's all I had to do it wouldn't be bad, but letting them use snow saves time and fuel. When I have to pump each day it sure takes a lot of time.

The cow's manure will tell if they are getting enough water.

Theres a waterer always available to our cattle but rarely do they come in to drink when theres snow on ground!

Once the cows learn to eat snow they will do fine, but i still prefer to have water avalible for them even if I have to haul it to them everyother day.

Andy, how was the Range Cow Beef Symposium? We had good intentions of going to it but the weather went haywire. Had hoped to get to meet you there, but will do so another time.

Latest posts