• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What the #### is this?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Stranger things have happened around here. Looks like March is in May this year.

Winter Storm Watch
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RAPID CITY SD
343 AM MDT TUE MAY 10 2005

.A POTENTIALLY POWERFUL LATE SPRING STORM WILL MOVE FROM THE ROCKIES
INTO THE NORTHERN PLAINS TONIGHT AND WEDNESDAY. IT WILL BRING LARGE
AMOUNTS OF MOISTURE INTO THE REGION.

COLDER AIR IS FORECAST TO WRAP INTO THE SYSTEM...CAUSING RAIN TO
CHANGE TO SNOW LATE TONIGHT OVER THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS...AND THEN
DURING THE DAY OVER PORTIONS OF THE PLAINS ADJACENT TO THE BLACK
HILLS.

WHEN THE SNOW BEGINS WILL PLAY A CRITICAL ROLE IN DETERMINING HOW
MUCH ACCUMULATION OCCURS. ANOTHER FACTOR IS THE TIME OF YEAR AND WARM
GROUND.

AMOUNTS GREATER THAN 6 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE IN THE WATCH AREA...WITH
SOME LOCATIONS IN NORTHEASTERN WYOMING AND THE HIGHER BLACK HILLS
POTENTIALLY RECEIVING OVER 1 FOOT OF SNOW.

THE SNOW WILL BE HEAVY AND WET WITH GUSTY WINDS OVER 30 MPH
WEDNESDAY.

One year,probably early 70s-it snowed 12 in. at foot of black hills-don't think cows were out yet. It did not stay on the ground too long-guess it was moisture!! Most guys are probably out of feed up that way so this wouldn't be a good situation. Hope it works out. It was on Mothers Day-now I recall.

Rancher, watched the ever accurate :roll: weather channel and they are calling for rain/snow tonight in our area and rain for the rest of the week with our only reprieve coming on saturday....got a nice sized front coming from the pacific northwest, so sit back and ride 'er out!! best of luck to you....hope ya don't get washed away in all this!!

Nothing here yet jake, but we're hoping. We branded a bunch this morning and got sprinkle on and chilly. As cloudy as it stays, you'd think something would come of it and you won't hear me say this very often, but I'd be glad for a foot of snow as dry as it's been. We got an inch of rain Saturday afternoon, but that doesn't come close to being enough just to catch us up.
You sure had a cute little kindergarten graduate the other night. That didn't take long, did it?

This is a forecast for my area. It is being to look like I should be putting more in the collection plate. http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/ggw/
They are expecting it to take power lines out with the heavy wet snow. Have some range mares ready to foal, hope they can hold on for a week.
Cowboyup, you sure hit that one right. Ranchwife, looks like it will be back next week too, calling for it to clear up a few days this week-end and hit again with rain. I just hate the lows when it gets past freezing when it is wet and still have a few cows to calve.

So far it looks like the ol Missouri is the border line-- Not getting any moisture north of the River.....I sure do hate to hear those cold temps they are predicting-- Was in Glasgow this morning and had to comment to some of the businessmen how beautiful the downtown area looked with all the crap apple trees the Chamber planted a few years ago all in blossom--a freeze won't help them.....

rancher said:
This is a forecast for my area. It is being to look like I should be putting more in the collection plate. http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/ggw/
They are expecting it to take power lines out with the heavy wet snow. Have some range mares ready to foal, hope they can hold on for a week.
Cowboyup, you sure hit that one right. Ranchwife, looks like it will be back next week too, calling for it to clear up a few days this week-end and hit again with rain. I just hate the lows when it gets past freezing when it is wet and still have a few cows to calve.

high temp is our area today was 48 degrees, but the wind was straight outta the north and a slow, soaking drizzle made it seem a whole lot colder!! need the rain, though to get us outta this lingering drought, so won't complain!! know what ya mean about the cold temps and calving....lost 3 babes to pneumonia with that last "outta nowhere" snowstorm a few weeks back...did not matter what i did...tubed 'em, i.v.'d 'em...even put them in the mudroom by the heater....did not work!!! Best of luck to all!!

Jake...hope you are bundled up...the temps here are dropping, the wind is outta the north and the rain is beginning to "thicken"....hope everyone and anyone out there in this is safe and God bless!! Drive safely and bundle up!!

We now have a winter storm warning for this area. We could get 6 in. or more of snow but who would know for sure. It is 50 here now, and that was about the low last night, so maybe it will stay warmer than they are predicting. We still have a few cows left to calve too, but lots of young ones out there, so I hope it's not too bad.

LB, sometimes I think those kindergarteners are way too little to put them out in the big world, out of our sight, at school. I agree though, they sure are cute. I enjoyed the concert too.

Well, off to batten down the hatches!

Calling for 2-4 inches of rain and 12-16 inches of snow, might need a boat. I feel sorry for the livestock and the person who has to worry about them. Not much you can do for them in that kind of weather. Won't even be able to check them unless it is horse back and that gets iffy in this gumbo country. Jake your troubles have just began when you get kids in school, pretty soon they start thinking they are smarter than you. One child was having a hard time with a math problem, I was helping and was told we don't do it like that anymore your way was out years ago, the teacher is the idol and we don't know much. A few days later I was told my way was easier and faster.

Oh yeah! I remember the days of "New Math". I had a 4. average in my college math classes and for the life me, I could not help my oldest son with his math problems when they introduced New Math into our little country school!! Thank God it fell from favor in a year or so and they went back to teaching real math. And it was much faster and easier. Made sense too.

the real jake said:
We now have a winter storm warning for this area. We could get 6 in. or more of snow but who would know for sure. It is 50 here now, and that was about the low last night, so maybe it will stay warmer than they are predicting. We still have a few cows left to calve too, but lots of young ones out there, so I hope it's not too bad.

LB, sometimes I think those kindergarteners are way too little to put them out in the big world, out of our sight, at school. I agree though, they sure are cute. I enjoyed the concert too.

Well, off to batten down the hatches!

Predicting 7" snow here, but it's 47 degrees outside now, drizzling, hard to imagine the snow. Jet stream is going south to north, south is even warmer than here. Guess we'll wake up in the morning and see what is!!

I'm in Billings tonight, hope the snow holds off a bit before my flight in the morning. I waved to everyone as I flew in, not sure if ya'll waved back, but it was at midnight last night,

PPRM

Had a meeting in Bozeman. The other guy involved is in Billings. Best flight rate was to fly into Billings, so he picked me up, we went to Bozeman and came back. Ate at some place called Tiny's I think. Nice country and nice people up here.

I have a good freind that works for Moody's Implement in Lewistown.

Rancher, Jake, Hanta Yo,Haven't heard from you guys out there how the weather turned out today. I sure hope you didn't get what the forecast called for. Nobody needs that kind of stuff.

2 weeks ago we had 8+" of wet snow and the new babies looked like they wished they were back inside their mommas! Now it has warmed up and the grass is coming faster than the cows can chew it off. Always a good feeling for me as it means the end of feeding till fall.

MLA,
right now it is still snowing and picking up steam. We had 1/2" rain before it turned to snow, now the snow is reaching about 6-7". YIPPEE, it was very hard for me to get home tonight, the rain under the snow on the dirt road makes for interesting driving. Have some very unhappy cows out there, they will survive until morning, this is Montana, this does happen. I remember one of these on the 4th of July, had to shut off the pivots and go to town, nothing else to do but sit in the bleachers at a rodeo under a blanket with a bottle of Jose to keep warm, or at least numb so you did not feel the cold! I sure hope all of you with baby calves make it through this one, this is a scour making machine for sure, it's moisture, I will take it anyway, anyhow, after the last few years.I should go out and build a snowcow :lol: :lol:

I got 10 " and 3" of slush from the rain that came first, still snowing. Going to have to get cows feed tomorrow some how.
Looks like Jake is going to get it too.
http://www.intellicast.com/Local/USLocalWide.asp?loc=klwt&seg=LocalWeather&prodgrp=RadarImagery&product=RadarLoop&prodnav=none

Just looked at this and it doesn't show it snowing for me hmmm, thing changes everytime your refresh it.

rancher,
does this mean that you will lose the umbrella? That thing would have collapsed here about 6 hours ago from the weight of the snow, that stuff is very wet, very heavy, I guess that tomorrow is poetry day as I know darn well that I will be lucky to get to the school bus let alone accomplish anything outside except maybe clean the shop which has not been done for awhile, ok, you win, it's poetry for fightless Friday :lol:

Latest posts