• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What to Do for the Holiday Blues?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

gunslinger

Reaction score
Seems like everyone is trying to get into the holiday spirit, but I think we've all had those years when it was harder than others. Does anyone have any holiday survival tips for people who have lost a loved one, or maybe went through divorce, or maybe had someone far away in the military over Christmas? I know I can't be the only one.

Call a friend.

Count your blessings instead of your problems.

Have a heart to heart with God.

Go do something nice for someone else.

Dwell on the good in life instead of the bad/sad.

Remember that it is always darkest just before the dawn.

Most times when a door closes another opens and we just have to have the courage to walk thru'.

As for depression, get a "grow light'. they put out the same kind of light that the sun does. Some of us get crabby and morose with the shorter days and we need more sunlight. Most any hardware store has the lights.

Go over west to your neighbors and pick guitar with an old poop! :lol: Namely me! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

May I add one more JB, or maybe two. Thing of those less fortunate, those that have little and those that have it all and don't know it and don't appreciate it. Think of those serving the country, not how sad it is for them to be away from friends and family at this time of the year but what they are giving of themselves for the good of us all. Then remember what this Christmas stuff is all about, I believe that the real meaning is giving of one's self, not of presents and money spent but of the things that really matter. I better quit, I'm sounding like a Charlie Brown Christmas episode.

I lost my wife to cancer after 25 years of Marriage, and I spent two Christmases in Germany, away from my family, so I certainly know where you are coming from.
But it does get better.

Great adivce,Jinglebob! My neighbor lost her husband (age 44)this late summer-they have 2 high school boys and you know they are really doing well. They have great spiritual values and relation with God!

We lost Mom Easter Mornin 2004 about 6:30 am, I got the call. I'd been home (500 mile one way) 3 times in the last 3 weeks, and had came home friday night before easter sunday, with intentions of leaving to go back the next monday. Yes I regretted not bein there. But after getting the call, I laid awake in bed, cryin of course, but a peace came over me very shortly. What better mornin could it have happened. What a party she must have gotten to join in on, bright and early with the sun just peakin above the horizon on the mornin of Jesus' resurrection.

I really worried about dad,at first, 48 years of marriage, mom was his rock, his best friend, they done everything together. I've never seen two people more in love than my mom and dad. But Dad handled it so well. Yes he broke down at times, but he has alot of friends that support him, a wonderful church community that was there for him, he keeps busy with the senior citizens center (even tho I still dont think of dad as a senior, he's 69) But he gets so much in return for helping others. He delivers meals on wheels to the shut ins. Takes some of the older gents out to drink coffee with him. Lately he's hooked up with a fella, one he's known for years, that has a nice size ranch. He helps him, move bulls, move heifers, what ever the man has to do at the time. One of these days when I'm back home I'm gonna go thank that rancher, for includin dad in things he does. Dad enjoys it so much. We had cattle when I was a youngster, but since I was about 8 years old dad hasn't had any. This is getting long, but I guess what I"m tryin to say is, surround yourself with things that you love, people you care about, and find things to do that you enjoy. And always, keep an eye and ear tipped upward so you can see and hear things the good Lord is tryin to tell ya.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
And always, keep an eye and ear tipped upward so you can see and hear things the good Lord is tryin to tell ya.

You all had very good advice. Lilly, I especially liked your words of wisdom, and the part about the peace that came over you on Easter morning after your mother died. Glad your dad is doing well and staying active.

OK I am going to throw a monkey wrench into the whole thing.....hail seems I write and a thread stops.
I am with gunslinger on this. I lost my grandmother Sept 15. She lived with me for over 8 years. A full blooded irish catholic straight speaking hard head woman. Survived being Divorced in the 60's. Burried one child at 2 years. Burried another, my mother 11 years ago. Waiting on the government to declare the last child dead after a bomb in Ireland back in 1989.
I am aware of all the blessing I have, my children are healthy, we have food and a roof over our heads. I have a good job. I love the kids I work with and I see by the grace of God go I. They are the poorest of the poor in Charlotte.
I have an open line of communication between God and myself. But what he is telling me is I have to wait. Sorry I dont wait very well. I want the pain and the hurt to go away NOW.
I have the tree up, the house is festive, gifts are getting bought. But I dont feel the joy in the season. I love, LOVE Christmas but this year its all fake till its over~ normally I say till fake it till ya make it dont see making it this year just getting through.
Sorry to bother yall with this but it struck a nerve.

LOL forget the CHEAP bottle Got Grand Marnier,Kahlua,Triple Sec..........OH wait cant drink them cuz they go into gifts.....orange rum balls, orange slices(with grand marnier) Egg nog oohhh there I go LOL

TXTibbs said:
I suppose a bottle of cheap whiskey is out of the question?

:? Sorry that might of been inappropriate :???:

APPROPRIAT - - if I were a drinker
This Thread is Downer.

I'm looking at all I have and what others don't have "Katrina Victoms"

I can always find things to feel good about
A Home to Put a Tree In
A Job
A Few $$$
A Loving Dad - and I bless that even after his gone and I'll Live Life Counting My Blessings as he taught me!
Animals to Love and need ME
Day by Day Food for Us All

And it list goes on and on and ON

Thankyou everyone for your replies. After my Grandma died for the first couple of years we did kinda unorthodox things like go out to eat on holidays or go to a movie cause it would have been so much harder trying to have the traditonal thing without her. I guess we all just kinda created new traditions. What seems to be working for me it to stay busy and make a lot of handmade presents. The whole commercial thing I think really contributes to the getting down thing.

Anyway thankyou for writing. :)

smalltime said:
Thankyou everyone for your replies. After my Grandma died for the first couple of years we did kinda unorthodox things like go out to eat on holidays or go to a movie cause it would have been so much harder trying to have the traditonal thing without her. I guess we all just kinda created new traditions. What seems to be working for me it to stay busy and make a lot of handmade presents. The whole commercial thing I think really contributes to the getting down thing.

Anyway thankyou for writing. :)

Pssst, your tipping your hand about who you are when you don't log in under your own "handle"! :wink:

OMGAWD you mean you can have more than ONE handle on here???hmmmmm oh well I guess some feel the need to hide. I couldnt hide if I wanted to LOL
It is nice to see others feel the same about their grandmas as I do. Too many think grandparent as not close family member.

Wasn't trying to hide anything, not the only one in the house that posts here and didn't notice it wasn't me that was logged on till the post came up. Didn't know how to change it. Who care's if folk know who I am Jingle Bob, I know who you are and most people seem to know you. Hell I even have pictures of me on this week, I didn't post it but you know who did.
The Gunslinger

I don't know about that, Grandpa died almost a year ago now, and we were as close knit as they come. I find myself talking to him when just sitting around the house, driving tractor, or when I'm walking, all things that we did together. Also, when I was walking in the deer woods. Oh, I miss him so. It is likw a part of me is missing now, too. :cry: :cry2:

Angus Cattle Shower said:
I don't know about that, Grandpa died almost a year ago now, and we were as close knit as they come. I find myself talking to him when just sitting around the house, driving tractor, or when I'm walking, all things that we did together. Also, when I was walking in the deer woods. Oh, I miss him so. It is likw a part of me is missing now, too. :cry: :cry2:

ACS-My Dad died 29 years ago on Christmas night and I still find myself asking his opinion - many times when I'm trying to figure out how to handle a situation I ask myself what he would have done and its like he's there answering you- seems like I get doing some jobs and I can see him beside me....I consider myself lucky that I was able to learn as much from him as I did and daily he still influences my decisions....

Easy to say get over feelings, alot HARDER to do.Seems like special family times brings these out.... can't tell you how you get through them you just do.Guess thats the times theres only one set of footprints!!

Latest posts