• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

what was your all time favorite A.I sire

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LRAF

Reaction score
Regardless if it was for calving ease or making females which one was your favorite? Two of my favorite female makers are Sitz Alliance 6595 and BT Right Time 24j. Calving ease there are plenty but three come to mind Bennett total,bar ext, and final answer (and all will make females to boot) just a few of my recent favorites.

I'm not a AIer but I have used sons of 6595 and really like them. I think two bulls that have been used heavy are QAS Travler 23-4 and Pine Drive Big Sky.

At one time I think Pine Drive had more daughters in production then any other sire.

Yeah pine drive was a very popular bull at one time and had numerous females in production. I never used him nor any of his offspring as he was starting to fade as I was getting started in artificial insemination. I love the 6595 bull for an all around good bull.

Sitz alliance is tough to beat in a selling standpoint. The bulls we raise from him are always leadoff bulls and are quite easy to sell. The duaghters are just cows in my book I have'nt had any set the world on fire but their good cows. I'm pretty partial to Shoshone Viking GD60 cows that produce well into their teens and calves that grow. On top of that he's one of around a dozen bulls tested a 100% genetic defect free.

Bennett Total Makes some very feminine females in my book but mine are all from EXT bred females but they really grow. I'm going to be useing him again this year.

I would say the best bulls I've used aren't the AI bulls but the ones I've either owned or raised. Not saying that they are better for everybody or aything like that, I've just gotten along better with them doing what I wanted them too.
By the way, I attended the National Association of Animal Breeders meeting last fall and CSS is now initiating a program in the AI industry so each straw of semen across all bulls will have the same ability to settle a cow and there are no differences based on the fertility of the bull. After hearing that, I think I'll be using less AI.

Yes Total is an excellent bull for females and calving ease crosses on ext is a nice blend. A bull to sample for females Denny if you haven't used him is the 24j bull. Excellent teat and udder structure and will not look like a milk cow but can pour the milk.

WVGenetics said:
I would say the best bulls I've used aren't the AI bulls but the ones I've either owned or raised. Not saying that they are better for everybody or aything like that, I've just gotten along better with them doing what I wanted them too.
By the way, I attended the National Association of Animal Breeders meeting last fall and CSS is now initiating a program in the AI industry so each straw of semen across all bulls will have the same ability to settle a cow and there are no differences based on the fertility of the bull. After hearing that, I think I'll be using less AI.

Interesting. But how do they plan to do that? It could be a good thing on some of the lower percentage sires.

it's hard to say, but I really like my 9074 and 6595 cows. I also have some Prime Time daughters I really like. I have two full sister Bennett Total daughters out of New Frontier 095 that are really becoming good cows at 3 year olds that don't miss. And I like my 004 cows. They have stayed real moderate and do a good job every year.

I have some Crook Mtn Really Windy 141 heifers that are real fancy. I am almost looking forward to next January to see how well they calve out!!

LRAF said:
WVGenetics said:

Interesting. But how do they plan to do that? It could be a good thing on some of the lower percentage sires.

I think they are calling it a semen quality initiative. The way I understood it is they'll adjust cell numbers in the straw based on his initial fertility. So a bull with a low AI conception rate will be adjusted up in cell numbers per straw so that conception will be equal with the average or maybe the best bulls. Personally, I don't see this as a good thing. In my opinion, it could mask fertility and semen quality issues. There are some bulls though that are perfectly fine fertility wise when used naturally that don't do well when used AI or won't even freeze so there's that point too.

WVGenetics said:
LRAF said:
WVGenetics said:

The way I understood it is they'll adjust cell numbers in the straw, so a bull with a high percentage abnormalities will have equal opportunity as a bull with a low number of abnormalities. Basically, they won't dilute the lower quality bull as much. Personally, I don't see this as a good thing. In my opinion, it's an attempt to mask semen quality issues.

Is it masking issues or making conception rate higher to increase sales on the lower conception bulls? The issues wouldn't be an issue more than likely if the bull was used in a natural setting. Some bulls definitely have a higher quality semen when used in an artificial situation and others are much harder to settle a cow with regardless of the inseminator. So if it means increased conception then what do you see as a downfall? We all want the best live calf with the least effort possible correct?

from a cow making standpoint, (cause that's all that matters :wink: )GAR Integrity is towards the top on my list. my best cows trace back to him, and a person can tell which ones they are from a mile away. i'm getting quite a few Juneau calves on the ground now. we'll see what they look like in a few years, but he's the direction we're heading right now.

I only use AI on heifers- and then look for moderate framed bulls with good calving ease and cowmaker maternal qualities... The best AI bull I have used that fit the bill has been N Bar Prime Time D806...
http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/angus.asp?CodTouro=29AN1520

Another AI bull that also provides those qualities is Bannon of Wye UMF 8420...
http://sustainablegenetics.com/black_angus.html

LRAF said:
WVGenetics said:
LRAF said:

The way I understood it is they'll adjust cell numbers in the straw, so a bull with a high percentage abnormalities will have equal opportunity as a bull with a low number of abnormalities. Basically, they won't dilute the lower quality bull as much. Personally, I don't see this as a good thing. In my opinion, it's an attempt to mask semen quality issues.

Is it masking issues or making conception rate higher to increase sales on the lower conception bulls? The issues wouldn't be an issue more than likely if the bull was used in a natural setting. Some bulls definitely have a higher quality semen when used in an artificial situation and others are much harder to settle a cow with regardless of the inseminator. So if it means increased conception then what do you see as a downfall? We all want the best live calf with the least effort possible correct?

Probably as much an attempt to increase sales. We all want high quality calves but the question is how each of us define "high quality." For me, fertility is extremely important since I'm using a bull to make females and selling bulls for use in commercial herds. The problem lies in the fact that some of these issues, like percent abnormalities, are genetically controlled and have moderate heritability. If we increase the conception on that bull so more people will use him and he has a problem, it just means more bad genes floating around. What good does it do the person using him or the whole industry for that matter when you are just propogating a genetic problem?

I've got Sitz Value,Sitz Alliance 6595,Bennett Total,Sinclair Extra 4X13,Bando 9074,Koupels Juneau and S Chisum in black angus coming or in my tank. I also have 3 deceased herdsires in my tank we'll be useing plus a few straws of DDA Fahren 58f. We have 15 straws left of shoshone Viking GD60 but with the 3 sons we have I won't be useing it at this time most likely save it for 15 years from now.I did order 5 straws of Victor a hereford bull for the man cub.I get most everything from Genex a good friend is my rep and they have enough to keep me happy.

Denny said:
I've got Sitz Value,Sitz Alliance 6595,Bennett Total,Sinclair Extra 4X13,Bando 9074,Koupels Juneau and S Chisum in black angus coming or in my tank. I also have 3 deceased herdsires in my tank we'll be useing plus a few straws of DDA Fahren 58f. We have 15 straws left of shoshone Viking GD60 but with the 3 sons we have I won't be useing it at this time most likely save it for 15 years from now.I did order 5 straws of Victor a hereford bull for the man cub.I get most everything from Genex a good friend is my rep and they have enough to keep me happy.

are you talking about 797(Dude) or Juneau himself?

Latest posts